New Surround Master v2 - Pre-Order Roster Discussion Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, question. Did you ship the V3's in V2 boxes? And if you did, how would I tell the difference without opening it up and voiding the warranty? Enquiring minds want to know!
Yes they are shipped in V2 boxes. Basically all the ones since we dried up stock a few months ago ...so if you recieved in in the last 2 months its a V3 .....or ask us and we will check the records

Oh, and by the way, I did listen to Atom Heart Mother in SQ. It performed quite nicely. Better than Audionics? Not sure, I'm judging from memory, but definitely as good as. But you have to remember, that SQ is the Audionic's fort'e. But the surround Master has the added extra of a center and subwoofer channel. I like that because my center channel speaker is the same as the others. Not a cut down version designed to fit under the TV monitor.
Also the SM is a full tri band , I think the Audionics is a single band. They also do not do all the psycho-acoustic stuff we do.

Oh, and by the way, I did listen to Atom Heart Mother in SQ. It performed quite nicely. Better than Audionics? Not sure, I'm judging from memory, but definitely as good as. But you have to remember, that SQ is the Audionic's fort'e. But the surround Master has the added extra of a center and subwoofer channel. I like that because my center channel speaker is the same as the others. Not a cut down version designed to fit under the TV monitor. However, last night it was amazing in QS mode with Spirit's "Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus" I also played Deep Purple's "Fireball". That was a good listen as well, but not quite like TDODS.
I don't know if you have any streaming services like Netflix but even if it's 5.1 audio it can sound a little underwhelming. More often than not I take the stereo down mix analog out from my Oppo 105 & feed it to the SM. Really livens it up & fills the room in the best of ways. The SM is also most excellent for playing back DVD's whatever that have a stereo only soundtrack. Maybe that was the case with you mentioning Dr Sardonicus & Fireball.

The SM is also most excellent for playing back DVD's whatever that have a stereo only soundtrack. Maybe that was the case with you mentioning Dr Sardonicus & Fireball.

That's what I use the Surround Master for most often. Playing movies on DVD or BluRay that have a Dolby Surround (Stereo) encoded track.
Very effective.

I don't know if you have any streaming services like Netflix but even if it's 5.1 audio it can sound a little underwhelming. More often than not I take the stereo down mix analog out from my Oppo 105 & feed it to the SM. Really livens it up & fills the room in the best of ways. The SM is also most excellent for playing back DVD's whatever that have a stereo only soundtrack. Maybe that was the case with you mentioning Dr Sardonicus & Fireball.
No, I'm not set up for decoding television. Just the music. However, I can decode DVD's and Blue Rays that are in stereo. Oh, and my serial number is:ISAM2-02-2005-005 if you want to look that one up for V3 verification.

Oh, and by the way, I did listen to Atom Heart Mother in SQ. It performed quite nicely. Better than Audionics? Not sure, I'm judging from memory, but definitely as good as. But you have to remember, that SQ is the Audionic's fort'e. But the surround Master has the added extra of a center and subwoofer channel. I like that because my center channel speaker is the same as the others. Not a cut down version designed to fit under the TV monitor. However, last night it was amazing in QS mode with Spirit's "Twelve Dreams of Dr Sardonicus" I also played Deep Purple's "Fireball". That was a good listen as well, but not quite like TDODS.
I'm one of those people who feels there's no need for a center channel for music. Especially for quadraphonic music, if no center was planned for, I won't use one. I get a great phantom center where it's called for in the mix. Same with a sub. My speakers can deliver substantial bass on their own, and the room isn't all that big.

I'm one of those people who feels there's no need for a center channel for music. Especially for quadraphonic music, if no center was planned for, I won't use one. I get a great phantom center where it's called for in the mix. Same with a sub. My speakers can deliver substantial bass on their own, and the room isn't all that big.
100% AGREE!

I'm with you, I have 4x RS8 floorstanders + matching centre, only use the centre in 5.1 no LFE (I can rattle the windows as it is!), and for Quad I use Quad modes with my SM2

I'm with you, I have 4x RS8 floorstanders + matching centre, only use the centre in 5.1 no LFE (I can rattle the windows as it is!), and for Quad I use Quad modes with my SM2
100% in agreement here too. Less is more as far as I'm concerned in the speaker department. My main surround set up is a quad of Quads - i.e. four Quad 22L2 floorstanders, nothing more, nothing less. The 22L2 was the top of Quad's range of dynamic speakers about 10 years ago when they cost me £800 a pair.

P1030024.JPG

I've tried several much more expensive speakers since then but have always been disappointed and have kept returning to the 22L2 as they just sound 'right' to me. They are wonderfully open and have a deep realistic bass response (no need for badly integrated sub-woofers flapping about) and are efficient enough to be driven to unnecessarily high sound levels even with my valve amps.
P1030025.JPG

With a small number of drive units and a very narrow baffle they image better than any other speakers I've had (so no need for any muddling centre speaker either and hence my SMv2 is only ever used in 4.0 mode). Simplicity is purity!

Dear somebody

Lost your question but you asked was your serial number
ISAM2-02-2005-005 SURROUND MASTER a V2 or V.3??

Answer is that it is a V3!

Thank you David.
I'll wait another week.

@raku it just came to my attention, the horrific over site by myself and the other members here to cordially welcome you into the forum.
I would really be interested in knowing if you've received your SM yet and have you hooked it up and any thoughts about its performance. Any additional gear you have to hook it to and other gear would also be welcome.

Possibly introduce yourself in the below thread (yes it should be updated to a 2020 title.)
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...members-please-introduce-yourself-here.26426/
No rush or pressure - hope it's bringing you joy! :)

Well
@raku it just came to my attention, the horrific over site by myself and the other members here to cordially welcome you into the forum.
I would really be interested in knowing if you've received your SM yet and have you hooked it up and any thoughts about its performance. Any additional gear you have to hook it to and other gear would also be welcome.

Possibly introduce yourself in the below thread (yes it should be updated to a 2020 title.)
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...members-please-introduce-yourself-here.26426/
No rush or pressure - hope it's bringing you joy! :)
Well said J Pupster. We all welcome Raku!!!!

Did you buy 2 of them????

Edit: oh sorry. A closer shows the other box is not an SM.

My box below is an old Radio Shack RCA switch box I use to keep the Surround Master on one channel for the Onkyo TX-NR709 amp/receiver (7.1 capable). It has separate RCA connections for ALL channels.

Back