New Surround Master v2 - Pre-Order Roster Discussion Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello all,

I checked and re-checked the discount code. It's "chuckyspecial" - it's not case sensitive so that shouldn't matter. I did test orders from two computers and my phone and they all worked with codes. I'm 99.9% sure at this point the site isn't the problem. I have seen some browsers and protection software being overly protective. Things like Norton and McAffee install themselves as dlls at the system level and can affect network input even if you turn them off, they pretend they're off but still get in the way sometimes. It's one of the many reasons I don't use them personally.

At any rate, if anyone else has this problem, please let me know and I can enter your order manually.

Cheers
Captain Bitch esq.
All hail and praise to The Bitch!

All hail and praise to The Bitch!

Well, Dave got the order set up for me and I placed it. To the end the website fought with my Norton VPN. So I wound up placing the order through my private Email. Now my ears are drooling with anticipation, all five of them, and even that big bass ear on my forehead. But with the Corona virus raging in Georgia and the rest of the world, who knows how long it will take to get here. They have to build it first and they're waiting on parts from China. it's the Pink Floyd box set all over again. I guess I'll have to get a rack shelf to put it on. Chucky didn't say anything about a rack mount kit, when I asked. I guess I can handle that.
The Quadfather

Well, Dave got the order set up for me and I placed it. To the end the website fought with my Norton VPN. So I wound up placing the order through my private Email. Now my ears are drooling with anticipation, all five of them, and even that big bass ear on my forehead. But with the Corona virus raging in Georgia and the rest of the world, who knows how long it will take to get here. They have to build it first and they're waiting on parts from China. it's the Pink Floyd box set all over again. I guess I'll have to get a rack shelf to put it on. Chucky didn't say anything about a rack mount kit, when I asked. I guess I can handle that.
The Quadfather
Bummer it was such a hassle getting the order placed. Good to do it now so (hopefully) your at the top of the list when the parts start flowing.

The box is only 2 1/4 " H x 6 1/2 " wide. Dunno why you would want to turn that into a 19" rack mount.

Bummer it was such a hassle getting the order placed. Good to do it now so (hopefully) your at the top of the list when the parts start flowing.

The box is only 2 1/4 " H x 6 1/2 " wide. Dunno why you would want to turn that into a 19" rack mount.

Isn't it obvious? I have a rack with a hole in it where my Audionics S&IC used to be. I'll probably make my own rack mounts, sheet metal painted black and riveted to a rack shelf. There will be room on the shelf for some other small components I had no place to put before. it'll be good.

Dear Chucky,
I am a proud member of your wonderful Involve-Decoder. This one is connected thru two Stereo-DBX 400 Programm-Router Selector (together with a Space and Image Composer, a Tetrasound and a QSD-1) to a SC-LX82 Multichannel-Receiver from Pioneer.

I'm very satisfied with the powerful sound of the Pioneer.

Unfortunately most Producers of Quad Receiver-Hardware components bannish the analog 5.1 Input to cut their costs.
What should we do in the future, to listen to our Decoders?
I checked worldwide. There are no adapters on the market with 4 or even 5.1 Inputs to a digital HDMI Output.

Is it possible, that future Involve analog-Decoders can transform the 4.0 analog Output Signal into a digital HDMI-signal??
And is it neccessary to convert this digital Signal in DTS oder Dolby Digital in the Involve (I think so).
Hope to hear from you - and please Keep the distance to your neighbar. Here in Germany Covid-19 is very aggressive.

Is it possible, that future Involve analog-Decoders can transform the 4.0 analog Output Signal into a digital HDMI-signal??

Welcome back to the forum, @noone.

Chucky has commented on HDMI a few times previously:

Its not well known but the HDMI virus/ License costs around $20,000 per year , all for a shitty bsolution designed by the big boys to keep the little fellas out of the hunt. I spit on it!

jeebus! $20gees to play the HDMI game, how much you got wrapped up in this puppy or how many units to break even?

Hows around $2 Million strike you!

I friggin hate HDMI, its a crap format "standardised by the big guys who's primary purpose is to keep the little guys out of the game (with the $20,000 pa license fees before you can buy the chips), then they change the standard every year or so forcing you to completely redesign the electronics, then you find out its full of bugs and not backwardly compatible.

A terrible pox be upon it!

As for me I am an RCA kind of guy. Take a look at the rear panel of our Y4 surround amp one day and you will see how we reduce connectors to bugger all. OK yes we included HDMI.....still hate it.

Regards

Luddite Chucky

This new Y4 system does look very interesting.
Will the optical inputs accept DD-5.1 and DTS-5.1 bitstreams so it can also be used for watching movies also?

Hi Jonmchugh

Nope, strictly PCM. If we were going to decode streams we'd have to pay a dolby license, or pay for a chip that has one as well. The whole point of the Y4 is to take stereo input.
At that point we might as well do HDMI and let that chip do the decode instead. The HDMI license we had cost us $20,000 per year for a crap format designed to keep the little guys out of the big guys club.

Regards

Chucky

Welcome back to the forum, @noone.

Chucky has commented on HDMI a few times previously:
I hate HDMI as well. I especially hate their copy protection scheme. It often works when it's not supposed to. For instance, take a high def security camera, and convert the analog output to HDMI. Then try to use your HDMI to HD-SDI (a broadcast format that is simple to use) And it blacks the frigging screen. No copyright material involved, yet you can't use the damn thing. And they don't make an AJA box that goes directly from a high def analog security camera to HD-SDI. For some reason, they want those two worlds kept apart. I wish they would keep the politics out of our gear. And as for copy protection, it should be with the copyrighted software, not the hardware link that can't tell the difference. I don't care for how modern equipment is designed either. I guess they did away with tape loops, because they don't want you to have tape recorders. Too bad, we're gonna!
The Quadfather

P.S. I wish these things existed:
A HDMI to SDI converter that would always work, except when a DVD or blue ray player it's connected to is actually playing a copyrighted disc.
A High Def analog to HD-SDI converter. There is no reason for this not to exist.
But then, I guess these things are only important to broadcast engineers.

Last edited:
I hate HDMI as well. I especially hate their copy protection scheme. It often works when it's not supposed to. For instance, take a high def security camera, and convert the analog output to HDMI. Then try to use your HDMI to HD-SDI (a broadcast format that is simple to use) And it blacks the frigging screen. No copyright material involved, yet you can't use the damn thing. And they don't make an AJA box that goes directly from a high def analog security camera to HD-SDI. For some reason, they want those two worlds kept apart. I wish they would keep the politics out of our gear. And as for copy protection, it should be with the copyrighted software, not the hardware link that can't tell the difference. I don't care for how modern equipment is designed either. I guess they did away with tape loops, because they don't want you to have tape recorders. Too bad, we're gonna!
The Quadfather
HDCP is the biggest pile of *&%#ing :poop: out. Buy a £2k amp in 2013 with HDCP 1.4 and in 2019 discover you can't use it with a 2019 NUC as it fixed with HDCP 2.2. One of the golden rules in engineering is backwards compatibility, apart from when its HDCP apparently :mad:🤬🤮 . I have a solution for my Amp-NUC combo but it is not ideal!

HDCP is the biggest pile of *&%#ing :poop: out. Buy a £2k amp in 2013 with HDCP 1.4 and in 2019 discover you can't use it with a 2019 NUC as it fixed with HDCP 2.2. One of the golden rules in engineering is backwards compatibility, apart from when its HDCP apparently :mad:🤬🤮 . I have a solution for my Amp-NUC combo but it is not ideal!
Now I understand why the air was so blue Duncan, well if that isn't takin the wee wee, what is?

Yeah, what he said💩

The Quadfather

P.S. I wish these things existed:
A HDMI to SDI converter that would always work, except when a DVD or blue ray player it's connected to is actually playing a copyrighted disc.
A High Def analog to HD-SDI converter. There is no reason for this not to exist.
But then, I guess these things are only important to broadcast engineers.

I sometimes like BlackMagic better than Aja. Not sure what you mean by High Def analog (RGBHV?) but here is a standard NTSC to HDSDI
Blackmagic Design Mini Converter Analog to SDI

Here is a brand I've never used but they claim to do it (no scaler though)
https://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/6352-tvOne1TC2520SpecSheet.pdf

I sometimes like BlackMagic better than Aja. Not sure what you mean by High Def analog (RGBHV?) but here is a standard NTSC to HDSDI
Blackmagic Design Mini Converter Analog to SDI

Here is a brand I've never used but they claim to do it (no scaler though)
https://www.fullcompass.com/common/files/6352-tvOne1TC2520SpecSheet.pdf

Yeah, that converter doesn't do what I want it to do. A lot of high def security video cameras are analog. They have the high resolution, and the high scan rates, but the output isn't digitized. Most converters will do NTSC, but not high def analog. I want one that will do high def analog to HD-SDI. We wanted to put a small security camera on the mast of a TV live truck in order to produce a crowd shot at an event such as a parade or outdoor concert, from the top of the mast. But we wanted it to be high def. Couldn't find a converter to do it. Security cameras have attributes that most broadcast cameras don't have, such as small size, fixed mounting and availlable pan and tilt. Also, the big one, they're weatherproof. And the picture quality is good if the camera is high def.

I'm sorry if this has been covered in the past, but as anyone upgraded from a Surround Master v1 SQ vinyl edition to a new v2? I can't say enough about the customer service on my v1 I have received from the Involve Audio team. If I'm going to upgrade I need talking points to convince my spouse. Are there notable improvements in separation, warmth, etc? Sorry, again, if this has been discussed.

Back