New Surround Master v2 - Pre-Order Roster Discussion Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are right Dave the Bitch (Overture) and I designed the blue eyed monster
Kinda thought so. What a super piece of gear. It solved a couple of my problems outside of quad use as well. Like getting a sub out with my turntable for one. May not even run it against the Tate. Too much work.
Any idea how maintenence would be going forward? As in, if i buy some bare boards i see there on the web site will that give me some extra processing chips? I get concerned that one day parts wont be avail. Many IC chips for other stuff are no longer avail.. or companies go away and no one else knows how to work on stuff ect.

You are right Dave the Bitch (Overture) and I designed the blue eyed monster
Can you please help me understand the use of this board? In that, the SM has 5.1 out already so is thos board in there, or for a different purpose
Screenshot_20201225-095824_Chrome.jpg

Kinda thought so. What a super piece of gear. It solved a couple of my problems outside of quad use as well. Like getting a sub out with my turntable for one. May not even run it against the Tate. Too much work.
Any idea how maintenence would be going forward? As in, if i buy some bare boards i see there on the web site will that give me some extra processing chips? I get concerned that one day parts wont be avail. Many IC chips for other stuff are no longer avail.. or companies go away and no one else knows how to work on stuff ect.
We do keep stocks of spare boards and so far we have not had to use any. No supply problems yet on the chips

Can you please help me understand the use of this board? In that, the SM has 5.1 out already so is thos board in there, or for a different purposeView attachment 60783
Thats the add on center channel decode board for our evaluation kits. The purpose of the kits is a cheapo no boxed, non mode switched entry for people to play with Involve and in particular to enable recording studios to try our encode format. Also as samples to OEM's

FYI Re: HDMI->baseband video+stereo audio converter

I bought a couple of these at Walmart (USA) (their house brand Blackweb), all of mine swap the L and R channels (NTSC mode).

Kirk Bayne

It's not that I want HDMI, it's just that we seem to be being forced into it. I wish they all still put analog inputs so we could connect up our old and new stuff together.

I bought a Marantz AVR. It has 7.1 Analog inputs with Dolby Atmos/DTS X/Auro-3D 11.2 (7.2.4) decoding and outputs. The Surround Master can connect right to it. The only issue would be the sources would need an input into the Surround Master as well, so either a switchbox for 2-channel sources or one device for all 2-channel music recordings.

My older Carver C-5 Preamp for my Carver AL-III ribbons speakers (with an Audio-X-Stream custom active crossover and 2x TFM-35x 350W into 4Ohms amps) has old fashioned tape loops on it so it could switch all incoming sources including my turntable directly into one. I might need two V3 processors if I like the sound, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. I'd like to start getting Quad records off eBay too....

You can use the Marantz to feed the surround master by using the zone 2 & 3 outputs using the Marantz for the switching instead of an outboard unit

You can use the Marantz to feed the surround master by using the zone 2 & 3 outputs using the Marantz for the switching instead of an outboard unit

How would I get power to my primary speakers for the home theater using the zone 2 & 3 outputs? Aren't they meant to go to their own outboard amplifiers? Or is that separate switching that can be looped back into the 7.1 channel inputs for Zone 1? I've never used the other zones before.

I bought a Marantz AVR. It has 7.1 Analog inputs with Dolby Atmos/DTS X/Auro-3D 11.2 (7.2.4) decoding and outputs. The Surround Master can connect right to it. The only issue would be the sources would need an input into the Surround Master as well, so either a switchbox for 2-channel sources or one device for all 2-channel music recordings.

My older Carver C-5 Preamp for my Carver AL-III ribbons speakers (with an Audio-X-Stream custom active crossover and 2x TFM-35x 350W into 4Ohms amps) has old fashioned tape loops on it so it could switch all incoming sources including my turntable directly into one. I might need two V3 processors if I like the sound, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. I'd like to start getting Quad records off eBay too....
I use a switchbox to select between my turntable (with external preamp) and the analog outputs of my CD recorder. The box feeds the SM. The only problem is that, since I don't use a subwoofer, I think I'm losing the low bass because the SM wants to send it to a sub. When the SM is switched off and is being bypassed, the bass is there. Oh. Great Chucky, what is the answer?

I use a switchbox to select between my turntable (with external preamp) and the analog outputs of my CD recorder. The box feeds the SM. The only problem is that, since I don't use a subwoofer, I think I'm losing the low bass because the SM wants to send it to a sub. When the SM is switched off and is being bypassed, the bass is there. Oh. Great Chucky, what is the answer?
The SM v2 does not have a high/low pass filter. It is full range to all 4 or 5 speakers plus .1 sub woof low pass. There is no reason to be losing the bass even if you dont use a sub woof.

Last edited:
Hi

Sonik is correct the SM is full bandwidth .....flat from around 10 Hz to Bat frequencies. The sub out is just an auxiliary filtered low pass output. When you switch off the SM a physical relay cuts in and mechanically bypasses the SM so its a straight piece of wire.

Please double check what you are hearing

I have had the same experience. I do use the sub output but noticed that while comparing the SM 1 & 2 to the Tate II that the Tate has a warmer sound thru the four channels.
When I play the 2 channel music source directly it has that warmer sound, play it thru the Tate, the warm sound is still there, play it thru the SM 1 or 2 and it looses that warm sound. The sub definitely helps with that.
I have had this experience thru many different configurations over the years thru switches or direct to the SM and the Tate. Where I agree that their is no filtering on the 4 channels on the SM and routing it to the sub, something is going on in the 4 channels that causes some mid bass loss.
I have not gone any further to determine full frequency differences between the source and the SM as it is what it is and enjoy the SM very much.

I have had the same experience. I do use the sub output but noticed that while comparing the SM 1 & 2 to the Tate II that the Tate has a warmer sound thru the four channels.
When I play the 2 channel music source directly it has that warmer sound, play it thru the Tate, the warm sound is still there, play it thru the SM 1 or 2 and it looses that warm sound. The sub definitely helps with that.
I have had this experience thru many different configurations over the years thru switches or direct to the SM and the Tate. Where I agree that their is no filtering on the 4 channels on the SM and routing it to the sub, something is going on in the 4 channels that causes some mid bass loss.
I have not gone any further to determine full frequency differences between the source and the SM as it is what it is and enjoy the SM very much.
I found that the reason I thought I was losing some bass was because the multichannel analog inputs on my receiver bypass the bass and treble controls. For proverbial "schitzengiggles", I connected the front outputs from my SM to the auxiliary inputs on the receiver, and... lo and behold... there was the bass! But I find I like it when the tone controls are bypassed. I don't feel there's any loss of warmth in the sound; what I find is there's a huge amount of detail being revealed I wasn't hearing otherwise. When I play stereo through the Involve 4.1 mode, I'm consistently amazed by the amount of information coming from the rear channels. Best audio purchase I've ever made!

You hit the nail on the head about the Tate having a warmer sound, I find that the SM (I have the evaluation modules) has a bit of what I would call upper midrange glare. I like to hear that the Sound Master bypasses the signal when turned off, that's what I like to do in my DIY projects, I've even added such relays to some equipment for others.

You hit the nail on the head about the Tate having a warmer sound, I find that the SM (I have the evaluation modules) has a bit of what I would call upper midrange glare. I like to hear that the Sound Master bypasses the signal when turned off, that's what I like to do in my DIY projects, I've even added such relays to some equipment for others.
All decoders do something to the signal that may be positive, negative or neutral. That’s why we need more than one decoder...and tone controls.

For example, when Logic7 gives me a bass-heavy presentation I know it’s time to switch to the SM. When the SM gives me that upper midrange glare, it’s a cue to switch to Logic7. Sometimes both are excellent and I find myself switching back and forth between the two like watching a tennis match! 👀 o_O

All decoders do something to the signal that may be positive, negative or neutral. That’s why we need more than one decoder...and tone controls.

For example, when Logic7 gives me a bass-heavy presentation I know it’s time to switch to the SM. When the SM gives me that upper midrange glare, it’s a cue to switch to Logic7. Sometimes both are excellent and I find myself switching back and forth between the two like watching a tennis match! 👀 o_O
I know I am not the best unbiased reference but I have listened to the Tate and I can pick the difference straight away. It "muddles" up the sound. That's a technical expression

Back