New Surround SACDs from Dutton Vocalion; Poco, Johnnie Taylor & Airto/Deodato (July 2018)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I posted this list in the "Suggestions For D-V" thread back in October and they just keep crossing stuff off it!

The fact they have chosen such oddball titles across various genres and labels makes me hopeful for some more really great stuff...

If they want to follow up the RTF with more quad fusion titles there are some great options:
Mahavishnu Orch- Between Nothingness & Eternity Live
Weather Report- Tale Spinnin'
Herbie Hancock- Sextant, Secrets

Some other ideas off the top of my head...I tried to pick sort of weird or lesser known stuff that seems possible based on past releases. Some of these have also been suggested by other members. I apologize in advance for getting a little ahead of myself, but I bet there's at least one thing on this list people would buy:

The Guess Who- Road Food, #10, and Best Of Vol. II
BS&T- Mirror Image & New City two-fer
Chase- S/T & Pure Music two-fer
Dave Mason- S/T & It's Like You Never Left two-fer
David Essex- Rock On
Poco- Seven & Cantamos two-fer
Rick Derringer- All American Boy & Spring Fever two-fer

Later Santana titles not done by MoFi- Welcome, Borboletta, Amigos, etc (Though we'd probably end up seeing Love Devotion Surrender or the one with Buddy Miles first)
War- The World Is A Ghetto & Deliver The Word twofer
Anything on Philly Int'l- MFSB, O'Jays, Isleys, etc
Anything on Project 3...but if I had to choose one then Tony Mottola & The Quad Guitars
More CTI- Airto's Fingers, Benson's Body Talk, Grover Washington Jr. Soul Box, etc
Jefferson Airplane/Starship- The Worst Of, Spitfire, Red Octopus, etc
Hot Tuna- America's Choice, Burgers, Yellow Fever
Spinners- S/T, New & Improved, Pick Of The Litter
Jazz Piano Quartet- Let It Happen

Great to see D~V is mining the Arista/GRT catalogue. Audiophile Sound coupled with great performances! To have [finally] Airto's fabulous FINGERS on QUAD SACD is another dream come true. And young Adam got his wish with Poco's Cantamos [weren't we just discussing that title the other night, Adam?]

AN EARGASM, INDEED thanks to the Wonderful Wizard of Watford!:QQlove

Excellent choices. This is exciting! I am starting to think @fredblue is making the decisions at DV or they are reading his posts;-)

oh i don't even have any say in how to arrange the scatter cushions at home, let alone take decisions at a record company! :LOL: it would appear DV have a solid strategy already without need for my special brand of rambling, ranting and raving! ;)
that said.. Poco and Johnnie Taylor eh, good times! :smokin

Great to see D~V is mining the Arista/GRT catalogue. Audiophile Sound coupled with great performances! To have [finally] Airto's fabulous FINGERS on QUAD SACD is another dream come true. And young Adam got his wish with Poco's Cantamos [weren't we just discussing that title the other night, Adam?]

AN EARGASM, INDEED thanks to the Wonderful Wizard of Watford!:QQlove

we were indeed talking about it on here just the other day, Ralphamos! :p

did you get your "fingers" on the mouse and click "buy" yet? :unsure:

oh i don't even have any say in how to arrange the scatter cushions at home, let alone take decisions at a record company! :LOL: it would appear DV have a solid strategy already without need for my special brand of rambling, ranting and raving! ;)
that said.. Poco and Johnnie Taylor eh, good times! :smokin

I would have liked to see the expression on your face when you heard about these. I know how much you love these! I am still digging Johnnie from the Surround Master.

we were indeed talking about it on here just the other day, Ralphamos! :p

did you get your "fingers" on the mouse and click "buy" yet?:unsure:

But of course, young Adamos, Finger on the mouse and clicked buy 4 times for 8 superb titles......less than $10 each, delivered from Quadford, UK!

Wonder if the WIZARD has any munchkins working for him.......he seems to get these titles out with alarming rapidity! https://78.media.tumblr.com/584e7a9bcac4532b2771d7ce5b923755/tumblr_mo4zp5G0tE1r1mr1po1_400.gif

The Poco one is definitely for me. This is NOT to be taken the wrong way, since this is probably the best label in the world right now, but I’d like the albums split in separate original albums like the Garfunkel ones. But that is REALLY a first world problem.

Thank you thank you Dutton!

In the course of writing liner notes for these discs, I accumulated some interesting promo ads and posters and things (at least for Poco and Johnnie Taylor, CTI didn't seem to do much in the way of advertising, perhaps because they were a much smaller indie label) so I thought I'd share them, as has kind of become a tradition recently.

Johnnie Taylor
Record-World-1976-01-24-pg21-Disco_Lady_signing_announcement.jpgCash-Box-1976-03-06-pg2_disco_lady_1_million.jpgBillboard-1976-04-10-pg9-Number_One_Six_Times.jpgCash-Box-1976-05-22-pg2_Somebodys_Gettin_It_single.jpgBillboard-1977-02-26-pg21_Rated_Extraordinaire_insert.jpgRecord-World-1977-01-29_p28-Love_is_Better_in_the_AM_1pg.jpg

Poco
poco_seven_trade_ad.jpgcantamos_trade_ad_1974.jpgcantamos_poster.jpg

The Poco one is definitely for me. This is NOT to be taken the wrong way, since this is probably the best label in the world right now, but I’d like the albums split in separate original albums like the Garfunkel ones. But that is REALLY a first world problem.

Thank you thank you Dutton!
Dear D-V, please give us less? Couldn't disagree more. While I'm not really interested in any of these (maybe Poco), I do appreciate D-V continuing to utilize the twofer format and give us more for our money.

In the course of writing liner notes for these discs, I accumulated some interesting promo ads and posters and things (at least for Poco and Johnnie Taylor, CTI didn't seem to do much in the way of advertising, perhaps because they were a much smaller indie label) so I thought I'd share them, as has kind of become a tradition recently.

Johnnie Taylor
View attachment 33391View attachment 33389View attachment 33387View attachment 33390View attachment 33388View attachment 33392

Poco
View attachment 33395View attachment 33394View attachment 33393

cool pics! looking forward to your liner notes, as always (y)

were you able to ascertain in the course of your research if either of the Poco albums were indeed recorded from the outset with Quad in mind (as has been mentioned on QQ in the past and was a line so good I parroted out subsequently)? :unsure:

Dear D-V, please give us less? Couldn't disagree more. While I'm not really interested in any of these (maybe Poco), I do appreciate D-V continuing to utilize the twofer format and give us more for our money.

where these DV Quad releases are concerned, I'd say the values great, the sound qualitys great, the surround is mostly great, the liners are great, the music is often great, what's not to love, they're... grrrrreat..!!! ;)
I'll even stick me neck out and say, if you like Country Rock in excellent surround sound, the Poco's pretty much gonna be unmissable! Side 2 of Seven is kinda slower than Side 1 but still has some lovely stuff beyond that 1-2 punch of Drivin' Wheel and Rocky Mountain Breakdown.. and Cantamos is really a surround triumph all the way, the engineers really did the material proud when they mixed it into Quad! :rocks

where these DV Quad releases are concerned, I'd say the values great, the sound qualitys great, the surround is mostly great, the liners are great, the music is often great, what's not to love, they're... grrrrreat..!!! ;)
I'll even stick me neck out and say, if you like Country Rock in excellent surround sound, the Poco's pretty much gonna be unmissable! Side 2 of Seven is kinda slower than Side 1 but still has some lovely stuff beyond that 1-2 punch of Drivin' Wheel and Rocky Mountain Breakdown.. and Cantamos is really a surround triumph all the way, the engineers really did the material proud when they mixed it into Quad! :rocks
I do enjoy most rock on the harder side - when D-V does their next classical slate, I'll put in a big order including all of those, Poco, Rick Derringer, and Guess Who. Not in a rush until then though.

Side 2 of Seven is kinda slower than Side 1 but still has some lovely stuff beyond that 1-2 punch of Drivin' Wheel and Rocky Mountain Breakdown..

That's part of what I really like about it...it's neatly arranged so the fast numbers are on side 1 and the ballads/slower tunes are on side 2. Some days I'll just play side 1 and take it off the turntable or do the opposite.

My favorites used to be the two hardest tracks, the opener "Drivin' Wheel" and side 1 closer "Skatin'", but having listening closer many times since, I'd say the best uses of surround are the gorgeous acoustic guitars spread around in "Angel" and "Just Call Me Name" is a real demo track with the aggressive backing vocal call-and-response. It's very accessible stuff and an amazing mix...I think everyone should check it out.

Haven't heard Cantamos yet, but I look forward to it.

There's something in surround for everyone from Dutton Vocalion this July!

For the Rockers = a kick ass 2-fer from Poco! Seven and Cantamos in glorious Quad!

For the Soul survivors in surround sound = A Johnnie Taylor 2-fer; Eargasm and Rated Extraordinaire!

and for Jazz and Latin aficionados = An Airto/Deodato 2-fer!

See the DV Blog for more info!

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/blog/

Wow, POCO, Oh Yesss!!!!:51QQ :SB :rocksand I've liked the previous Soul releases so got the Johnnie Taylor as well (y), and the An Airto & Deodata (from SQ via a Surround Master?) are a definite buy as I like jazz/rock so :LB, and as I felt churlish at not buying the plain old stereo Weather Report I got that as well :SG. So its :dance:dance:dance:danceday. Thanks DV! :hi

That's part of what I really like about it...it's neatly arranged so the fast numbers are on side 1 and the ballads/slower tunes are on side 2. Some days I'll just play side 1 and take it off the turntable or do the opposite.

My favorites used to be the two hardest tracks, the opener "Drivin' Wheel" and side 1 closer "Skatin'", but having listening closer many times since, I'd say the best uses of surround are the gorgeous acoustic guitars spread around in "Angel" and "Just Call Me Name" is a real demo track with the aggressive backing vocal call-and-response. It's very accessible stuff and an amazing mix...I think everyone should check it out.

Haven't heard Cantamos yet, but I look forward to it.

oh yes! "Just Call My Name" is fab, the way the vocals pop up in the different channels!

I think 'Cantamos' might just become a "new favourite", the mix is just as good as 'Seven', if not better.

Back