New Surround SACDs from Dutton Vocalion; Poco, Johnnie Taylor & Airto/Deodato (July 2018)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredblue

Surroundophile Extraordinaire
QQ Supporter
There's something in surround for everyone from Dutton Vocalion this July!

For the Rockers = a kick ass 2-fer from Poco! Seven and Cantamos in glorious Quad!

For the Soul survivors in surround sound = A Johnnie Taylor 2-fer; Eargasm and Rated Extraordinaire!

and for Jazz and Latin aficionados = An Airto/Deodato 2-fer!

See the DV Blog for more info!

https://www.duttonvocalion.co.uk/blog/

Excellent news! :LB

it certainly is!! (y)

i'm extremely excited about the two Poco Quads and the Johnnie Taylor 2-fer in particular!

the Quads of Poco's "Seven" & "Cantamos" are two of the very best Rock Quad mixes i've yet to hear.
several tracks are demo worthy surround sound material imho, including "Rocky Mountain Breakdown" and "Sagebrush Serenade" and I absolutely cannot wait to hear Johnnie Taylor's "Eargasm" in discrete surround - at last! - easily one of my most played Quads of the last few years' fiddling about with old SQ records etc. DV, you've done it again! Hope the pre-orders go up soon, I wanna grab these asap -- if not sooner! :ROFLMAO:

This note is interesting:
N.B.The four-channel (quadraphonic) analogue masters of the Airto/Deodato in Concert album no longer exist. For this reissue that album’s quadraphonic mix has been derived from CTI’s original SQ-encoded source.

Cool that they went ahead with the release anyway! :)

This note is interesting:
N.B.The four-channel (quadraphonic) analogue masters of the Airto/Deodato in Concert album no longer exist. For this reissue that album’s quadraphonic mix has been derived from CTI’s original SQ-encoded source.

Cool that they went ahead with the release anyway! :)
With other titles available as 4-track master mixes, I'd have selected another title. Too many things we are waiting on with life's short run for me to bother with SQ.

Thrilled with Poco, and the Taylors should be really nice too.

it certainly is!! (y)

i'm extremely excited about the two Poco Quads and the Johnnie Taylor 2-fer in particular!

the Quads of Poco's "Seven" & "Cantamos" are two of the very best Rock Quad mixes i've yet to hear.
several tracks are demo worthy surround sound material imho, including "Rocky Mountain Breakdown" and "Sagebrush Serenade" and I absolutely cannot wait to hear Johnnie Taylor's "Eargasm" in discrete surround - at last! - easily one of my most played Quads of the last few years' fiddling about with old SQ records etc. DV, you've done it again! Hope the pre-orders go up soon, I wanna grab these asap -- if not sooner! :ROFLMAO:

Well that’s all the info I need. I’ll order those in the next couple of days... I better not start saying come round for an “Eargasm” or I’ll get a slap!

Well that’s all the info I need. I’ll order those in the next couple of days... I better not start saying come round for an “Eargasm” or I’ll get a slap!

haha!! :ROFLMAO:

shake it up, shake it down, shake it all around in surround, Quadro Laddie..!!

:SB

ordered : 16:20
shipped : 16:28

how's that for service..!! :cool:

With other titles available as 4-track master mixes, I'd have selected another title. Too many things we are waiting on with life's short run for me to bother with SQ.

Thrilled with Poco, and the Taylors should be really nice too.

i await forum speculation as to the SQ decoding method employed by DV's top men.. with baited breath! :eek:

not! :LOL:;)

I've ordered one vocalion disc(my first one) from the only source I've found in the UK. It's been over a month and have not recieved it. Is there another place I can purchase them? Thanks.

Would you prefer they'd just left the album off the two-fer and charged the same price for Airto Fingers on its own to protect your delicate sensibilities? I have the Q8 of In Concert and it's no surround extravaganza, as is the case with a lot of live quad albums. The performances are fantastic, but it's my recollection that the only discrete rear-channel action was the string overdubs to Deodato's tracks, which were added by Bob James after the fact. Given how talented he is, I suspect Mike Dutton has gotten more out of the SQ master with his studio wizardry than the quad mix was originally.

If you like latin jazz/jazz-fusion at all, the quad mix of Fingers is a must - consider In Concert as a bonus to that.

Back