New Telarc Multichannel SACD: Delta Crossroads

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Just released today on Multichannel/Stereo SACD and available direct from Telarc:

>>Artist: Robert Lockwood, Jr.
Recording: Delta Crossroads
Release Date: 3/22/02
Release# SACD-63509
Super Audio CD Price: $24.95
DSD 2 Channel 6 Channel

Now available in discrete multi-channel surround SACD as well as the CD recording!

On Delta Crossroads, blues legend Robert Lockwood, Jr. performs a slate of Robert Johnson classics, along with new and old songs of his own, and several associated with other great Delta players. It’s clear when listening to Lockwood’s Telarc debut that the music has never stopped evolving, and his skill on 12-string guitar remains undiminished.

W.C. Handy winner and 1999 Grammy nominee Lockwood cruises through a set of exquisitely crafted songs from the Robert Johnson catalog, including "32-20 Blues," "I Believe I’ll Dust My Broom," "Love in Vain Blues," "Stop Breakin’ Down Blues," "Little Queen of Spades," "Ramblin’ on My Mind," and "Mr. Downchild," a tune Lockwood attributes to Johnson.

Lockwood also covers Lightnin’ Hopkins’ "C.C. Rider," Leroy Carr’s "In the Evening (When the Sun Goes Down)," and "Mean Mistreater Mama," along with "Keys to the Highway" (which Lockwood says Jazz Gillum wrote and not Big Bill Broonzy). From his own songbook, Lockwood performs "Run Your Mama," "My Woman Came Walking Down," "We're Gonna Ball Tonight," "This Little Girl of Mine," and "Train My Baby."

Produced by Joe Harley (whose work with Telarc includes discs with Terry Evans, Mighty Sam McClain and Ronnie Earl), Lockwood’s solo performances on Delta Crossroads are heard in a completely acoustic setting and sounds emerge in their most appealingly natural state. His rich voice and solo acoustic guitar lines evoke the same musical thrill that Lockwood’s fans have enjoyed for years.

Lockwood was born in 1915 in Turkey Scratch, Arkansas, just fifty years after the Civil War. His mother had a relationship with Robert Johnson (the blues icon who supposedly sold his soul to the devil at the Crossroads in order to become a master bluesman). Soon Johnson was sharing his secrets about bass lines, tone and text with his quasi-stepson. Lockwood grew up and went on to play guitar on many classic recordings and helped create what is known today as the Chicago Blues. This year Lockwood celebrated his 85th birthday.

Robert Lockwood, Jr. is an uncommonly inspired blues artist whose playing comes from the heart, and Delta Crossroads is a culmination of his diverse travels.

Robert Lockwood Jr. - 12-string guitar and vocals

1. 32-20 Blues
2. Mean Mistreater Mama
3. This Little Girl of Mine
4. Stop Breakin' Down Blues
5. My Woman Came Walking Down
6. C.C. Rider
7. Little Queen of Spades
8. I Believe I'll Dust My Broom
9. In the Evening (When the Sun Goes Down)
10. We're Gonna Ball Tonight
11. Mr. Downchild
12. Run Your Mama
13. Ramblin' On My Mind
14. Love In Vain Blues
15. Train My Baby
16. Keys to the Highway

Release Date: 3/22/02
SACD-63509 Delta Crossroads Super Audio CD $24.95

www.telarc.com/sacd/title...0LRU6E8320 <<

Back