New to Quad! Which CD-4 Cartridge?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want this one. "Audio-Technica AT-ART9XA Dual Moving Coil Stereo Cartridge". It has a Shibata stylus and frequency response to 50K. The drawback is the 2K price tag!

View attachment 85893

I've had the best luck with my Sony XLMC3 cartridge even though it wasn't designed for CD-4. I also have a Ortofon SL 20 Q purchased used that worked OK but still gave some sandpaper effects on the inner groves. I attributed that to stylus wear. The Ortofon could benefit from retipping, now it absolutely requires it as I broke the tip due to careless handling!

I also have an Audio-Technica AT14Sa that works well but I prefer the more detailed sound of the Moving Coils.
I use a Denon DL-103S, with Shibata stylus, and response up to 60kHz. I've also had good luck with a Denon DL-110. My go-to is the Shure M24H, which is moving magnet, but the moving coils have more clarity and detail in the sound.

Last edited:
Well I bit the bullet and got the "Audio-Technica AT-ART9XA"! Pricy for sure but it sounds damn good. I always found that phono cartridges all had their own sonic character the same as loudspeakers do, but this one is very neutral sounding. It has a bit better bass then my Sony XLMC-3 and the high end seems a bit cleaner. Subjectively the sound Is not much different then what you would get from a Blu-ray audio disc! I have never heard a moving magnet cartridge that sounds as good as a moving coil but obviously I haven't heard then all!
ATcart (2).JPG

I briefly tried a few CD-4 records most performed flawlessly. Cat Stevens Greatest Hits still sounded sandpapery, all the way through. I think that has been reported by others as particularly bad LP to demodulate properly. I'll get back to CD-4 at some point, my main focus is digitizing my stereo and matrix collection.

It is true that those old well played records sound new played with a shibata stylus!

I had a spare headshell for my Decca London International Tonearm and so mounted the AT-ART9XA in the new headshell by eyeballing it, comparing to the stylus position of the Sony. I then checked the result with my Geo-disc. It was right on. I was a bit fearful about damaging the stylus during the adjustment phase which is why I took that extra precaution!

Well I bit the bullet and got the "Audio-Technica AT-ART9XA"! Pricy for sure but it sounds damn good. I always found that phono cartridges all had their own sonic character the same as loudspeakers do, but this one is very neutral sounding. It has a bit better bass then my Sony XLMC-3 and the high end seems a bit cleaner. Subjectively the sound Is not much different then what you would get from a Blu-ray audio disc! I have never heard a moving magnet cartridge that sounds as good as a moving coil but obviously I haven't heard then all! View attachment 87179

I briefly tried a few CD-4 records most performed flawlessly. Cat Stevens Greatest Hits still sounded sandpapery, all the way through. I think that has been reported by others as particularly bad LP to demodulate properly. I'll get back to CD-4 at some point, my main focus is digitizing my stereo and matrix collection.

It is true that those old well played records sound new played with a shibata stylus!

I had a spare headshell for my Decca London International Tonearm and so mounted the AT-ART9XA in the new headshell by eyeballing it, comparing to the stylus position of the Sony. I then checked the result with my Geo-disc. It was right on. I was a bit fearful about damaging the stylus during the adjustment phase which is why I took that extra precaution!
Hats off to you Ken, you know a true hard core CD-4 Quad enthusiast when they drop that kind of coin on a cart!

I'm envious for sure.

Did you order directly from audio technica?

Everything I've read about the Cat Stevens Greatest Hits CD-4 is that it's always sandpapery and maybe not even a good mix. I've got one laying around somewhere, but haven't even tried Demodulating it yet.

Did you order directly from audio technica?

Everything I've read about the Cat Stevens Greatest Hits CD-4 is that it's always sandpapery and maybe not even a good mix. I've got one laying around somewhere, but haven't even tried Demodulating it yet.
I ordered from an eBay seller from Japan. He had by far the lowest price US $1,133.17. Duty was less than $200 Canadian. Other sellers have it for over 2K! The listing shows one left (the same as when I ordered). I would think that is a ploy to make you think that you had better order right away or lose out on the "lowest" price. That seller must have multiple units to sell! Units are for sale on Amazon as well at much higher prices.

Funny I don't remember Cat Stevens being any harder to play then any other CD-4, none ever played back flawlessly. As for the mix I like the Cat Stevens quads despite reading many negative reviews especially of the first three Q8's.

Last edited:
My Cat's Greatest Hits sounds great except for maybe the first number, "Wild World" which is, perhaps, mastered a bit too hot. No sandpaper or anything. In fact, it's probably one of the most dynamic CD-4 albums I have.

Doug

Last edited:
I have that album and, although I've never had that much of an issue decoding it, it doesn't seem any better or worse than any other CD-4 albums in my collection. It probably helps that I purchased it new when it came out.

But it's not worth all the trouble IMHO. The mix is truly subpar. Maybe the Q8 is better.

Actually, there's enough old quad Cat stuff out there that they would make fine reissues on SACD or Blu-ray...if the masters exist. But I'm not sure Yusuf Islam would be willing to do that. (Although he must be softening his stance about his older music after re-recording and releasing Tea for the Tillerman again. )

Actually, there's enough old quad Cat stuff out there that they would make fine reissues on SACD or Blu-ray...if the masters exist. But I'm not sure Yusuf Islam would be willing to do that. (Although he must be softening his stance about his older music after re-recording and releasing Tea for the Tillerman again. )
That would be great if the quad Cat stuff would come out in a modern format, The Greatest Hits mixes are as far as I can tell the same as the Q8's. I like the (artificial) reverb sound of those early mixes. Tea for the Tillerman was the first Q8 that I ever purchased. I only tried to play one side of the CD-4 maybe the other will sound better.

Since A&M falls under the UMG umbrella, it's very possible the tapes were lost in the fire. This brings up another question: since these albums were recorded in the UK, isn't it possible the tapes in UMG's warehouse were dubs of the original masters that were recorded in England? If those original tapes still exist, they could possibly be used to create SACD's, or BD-A's, of Cat's/Yusuf's albums.

My Cat's Greatest Hits sound great except for maybe the first number, "Wild World" which is, perhaps, mastered a bit too hot. No sandpaper or anything. In fact, ti's probably one of the most dynamic CD-4 albums I have.

Doug
Maybe it's time I dragged my copy out of storage and do a rip to digital and see how the mix is for me. Provided of course my used copy is in good enough condition and not sandpaper alley! Being dynamic sounding is one thing, but a great mix is another.

Just seems to be a wide variance of views on how this one sounds on the Poll thread, maybe could be due to how well the separation was from some factor like having their Demodulator adjusted properly?

*edit, and staying true to the thread, maybe what cart. & stylus they used!

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/threads/stevens-cat-greatest-hits-cd-4-q8.7941/

Back