New Tomita in SACD Surround Sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Excellent. Thanks.

Here's the url for HMV customers (like me):

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/4020427

And another Tomita coming out the same day (2 SACD set): http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/4020428

Tomita Isao / Planet Ultimate Edition
+ add song remake Planet!

Is also a masterpiece of Tomita Isao [planet] has been remixed into new surpass the sound environment of a contemporary composer Tomita central part of work more "spacecraft and the asteroid Itokawa Hayabusa will" work titled was reorganized into a form that "Ultimate Edition" appearance.
Tomita Isao can hear the music, bold synthesizer to arrange original songs since its launch Horst called the subject, became a bestseller around the world.
Astrological mystical music from original songs Horst, SF Tomita of bold change aimed at should be called an animation to music Planets], the machine name of the analog synthesizer "Ⅲ Moog" and Tsukuriage by the work of electronic instruments and equipment and Mellotron to reproduce the surround sound is the ideal first launched, in fact, LP is also available in CD4 was also good 4-channel system of separation.
Nevertheless, very low penetration rate has also surround the analog era can itself become a topic without a lot of four-channel sound, soon entered the CD age, it became a two-channel format itself From multi-channel audio about this piece was the work was too often forgotten.
But in 2003, as a format for high quality multi-channel playback, audiophiles have been focused on the time for DVD AUDIO, Tomita Isao can be made new remixes. This is like high acclaim around the audio, DVD AUDIO itself has also very low penetration rate, among the music fans did not become very big story.
And then, eight years after, SACD players much better penetration, amid growing interest in multi-channel playback environment, is this album to appear.
This time, become a point interest along with remixes "spacecraft and the asteroid Itokawa Hayabusa will" is included to add, this is the hopes and dreams of pure applied to the universe of Doctor Itokawa Hideo, also known as the father of aerospace technology in Japan I remember, all that music, like some respects to Dr. Rekuiemu quiet, and last year took home a fine of spacecraft asteroid Itokawa is a work inspired by their willing.
The jacket is a work of computer graphics, University of Tokyo professor who Kawaguti Youitirou fish "Multiple spacecraft structure" has been used, the visual] that this Planet was re-creates a new and has also impressed. (HMV)

The Planets SACD does not mention a remix or the date of mix. It just lists mix by Tomita.
It lists 4.0 several places, it is an active 4.0 mix.
I did not compare to the quad LP.

noffour

Did anyone buy this? I'm wondering if it's the same mix as the Planets 2003 DVD-A, or if it's a new mix?

2003? So this isn't the same one that came out on quad reel then. Is it a new recording?

I recently got this disc. Can't understand the booklet since it is all in Japanese. I would venture a guess that it is a new recording and it is absolutely in surround. I remember when Tomita's original version came out in the 70's but don't remember anything else about it, not even sure if I ever owned it. Sonically the disc is good and it has a lot of surroundness to it.

There is also a 2 SACD set re-issued in 5.0 surround *Tales of Genji*

http://www.amazon.co.jp/

then copy and paste this into the *Music* search 源氏物語幻想交響絵巻・完全版 [Hybrid SACD]

or CD-Japan http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=COGQ-52

I recently got this 2 disc set.
The music parts are surround. But there is dialog thoughout the entire program, all in Japanese which
I do not understand. For me, was too much dialog and not enough music.
Music was more traditional classical than the 70's Tomita.

noffour

Well, I'm glad I didn't buy either. So one has chat and the other is a re-recording.

Well, I'm glad I didn't buy either. So one has chat and the other is a re-recording.

I agree with the chat part but being as "The Planets" is an electronics album a re-recording isn't that bad of an idea. I can't compare it to the DVD-A but if you don't have it in a surround format this recording is well worth having.

Back