New Toshiba HD-DVD Player does DVD-A and SACD!!!???

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave!

Regardless, I'm screwed. I just bought a Denon 2106, and it has no HDMI connection, so no HD for me.

I realize that my reply to your post is over two months late, but I thought I'd put your mind at rest regardless: even if your AV Receiver is not able to switch several HDMI inputs to an HDMI output, everything is not lost on the HD front!

There are several possibilities:
  • Analog Component Signal: because of the lack of display devices in the US with a digital input (HDMI or DVI with HDCP), the movie industry has agreed that the analog component output (YUV) of HD-DVD and Blu-ray players will be allowed to output the HD signal until 2010. After that the guess is that the existing players will get reprogrammed by newer discs to switch off this possibiliy, but I'm guessing that you will have a new AV Receiver by then anyway (one with TrueHD and DTS-HD ;) )
  • HDMI Signal Connected Directly: if your display device has a HDMI or DVI/HDCP input, you can always connect the players HDMI output directly to the TV/Projector without going through the AV Receiver. Of course, if you have more than one digital picture source and your TV only has one input it would get tedious to constantly un- and re-plug the right connections... ;)
  • HDMI Signal Over a Separate Switch Box: you can buy a separate switch box which allows you to switch between several HDMI inputs just like you would in AV Receiver from the likes of a 4306.

So you see; there's no reason to throw away your 2106 just because it is missing the HDMI in- and outputs.

Best regards,
Oliver

Back