New upcoming Frank Sinatra Columbia Era Mono SACD and all analog LP

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simon A

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Frank Sinatra author/curator/archivist extraordinaire Chuck Granata has just announced over at the Sinatra Family Forum that Sony will soon release a new LP/SACD of Frank Sinatra recordings from his Columbia era. Here's what Chuck has divulged so far.

Yes, we have something - a release we feel is VERY special - coming soon. It will be an all-analog vinyl LP release, and an SACD issue. And, no Sinatra lover will be disappointed with the quantity or quality of truly rare "bonus" material - or the special, top-flight packaging - that this project will bring them. Trust me! Have I ever disappointed you guys and gals? LOL

This release was originally planned for April. Unfortunately, the pandemic halted the physical production halfway through its completion. As the production plants begin getting back to manufacturing over the next several weeks we'll get a better idea of how quickly they can complete the creation of our product. We were literally in line for pressing the week the plant shut down, so all of us on the team are hoping that means we're among the first to be done when they ramp up their operation.

I can't divulge what the project is until Sony and our partner (a highly respected and ultra-high quality audiophile label who I'm proud to say I personally sought out and chose because of their amazing attention to sonic and aesthetic details) has the assurance that the product is finished and meets our standards. Sorry 'bout that - I promise it's something you'll be thrilled with, will enjoy tremendously from a sonic and visual standpoint, and will be happy to have in your collection for years to come.

We have lavished extraordinary time, care and attention on this LP/SACD. I supervised every step of the process, from transfers through both the analog LP and digital SACD mastering (including the cutting of the master lacquer with one of the finest experts in the LP mastering field) as well as the preparation of the deluxe booklet. We've gone through three iterations of test pressings to ensure that this is the best sounding album it can possibly be. Sorry to 'whet your appetite,' but our team is REALLY proud of this one!

I'm a huge Sinatra fan so I'm really excited we're getting new material and on SACD to boot. Mr. Granata has worked on a multitude of Frank Sinatra releases for over 20 years and each of them is something truly special.

That's awesome news...as you know...I love Frank's music...any idea what label will be doing the work?

I'm quite amazed that SONY itself doesn't release what promises to be a stellar issue. Guess #2: Analogue Productions or MoFi.....DSD 256 from the original analogue Mono Masters. Thanks Simon for this incredible news!

CANNOT WAIT!

See the source image

That's awesome news...as you know...I love Frank's music...any idea what label will be doing the work?

Well Mobile Fidelity has released a number of Frank Sinatra titles from his Capitol and Reprise catalogs so I can't say for sure as the label has never tackled his Columbia catalog. But both Analogue Productions and Mobile Fidelity have recently released albums originally released on Columbia on both LPs and SACDs so it's a coin toss really.

I will say this though. Chuck mentions a "top-flight packaging" for the release. Mobile Fidelity usually stick to their mini-LP style sleeves for SACDs but Analogue Productions have brought us products that were more "out of the box" like their 2 Pink Floyd SACDs which came with unique packaging. That being said, your guess is as good as mine.

Well Mobile Fidelity has released a number of Frank Sinatra titles from his Capitol and Reprise catalogs so I can't say for sure as the label has never tackled his Columbia catalog. But both Analogue Productions and Mobile Fidelity have recently released albums originally released on Columbia on both LPs and SACDs so it's a coin toss really.

I will say this though. Chuck mentions a "top-flight packaging" for the release. Mobile Fidelity usually stick to their mini-LP style sleeves for SACDs but Analogue Productions have brought us products that were more "out of the box" like their 2 Pink Floyd SACDs which came with unique packaging. That being said, your guess is as good as mine.

The only other two smallish specialty companies releasing SACDs at present are IMPEX or Intervention records but IMO, surprised SONY Japan doesn't release it in their special 7" packaging. Now, that would be SPECIAL!

The only other two smallish specialty companies releasing SACDs at present are IMPEX or Intervention records but IMO, surprised SONY Japan doesn't release it in their special 7" packaging. Now, that would be SPECIAL!

I don't think Intervention Records would be a consideration...they were belly up a while back...they must have gotten a cash infusion...but I doubt that they would be able to get a major star like Sinatra

I don't think Intervention Records would be a consideration...they were belly up a while back...they must have gotten a cash infusion...but I doubt that they would be able to get a major star like Sinatra

Probably ....... I know IMPEX did release that stunning Tony Bennett/David Brubeck LIVE concert on SACD a few years back but IMO, SONY Japan's QUAD releases in their special 7" packaging would be IDEAL. Miles Davis' recent LIVE EVIL and BITCHES BREW QUAD SACDs come to mind. Incredible reissues.

Back