"new" way to decode SQ

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I've not seen in this thread is that Neural encoding was being used for a time on some XM Satellite Radio channels before it merged with Sirius and the encoded channels stopped using it. If Neural were so good, why isn't it still in use?

FYI, my Harmon Kardon AVR has a "Logic 7" mode that does a pretty fair job at decoding quad. I turned off the center channel and subwoofer, and SQ decoded pretty well. I'm not sure where the sounds are supposed to go (not familiar enough with the albums I've tried so far), but I have discrete rear channels at least. Sounds considerably more discrete than my Sony SQD-2070 decoder....

Charles.

I have been hoping to read more about experience with DTS-Neural in SQ decoding but except for this older thread, I could not find much.

Last year I got an Axiim Q UHT WISA preamp, which has a Neural setting, and I have been listening to a variety of SQ albums. The surround is definitely impressive and “discrete” sounding but I do not have enough experience to know how it measures up.

I do have a “Surround Master” but comparing the two on an A/B basis is a bit challenging, especially since the Axiim has no analog inputs and the Surround Master no digital connections (even though, inside, all processing is digital).

I'm testing out an Onkyo TX-NR7100 with 5.1.4 speakers, THX Music mode on, AT33SA cart. I've tested a Barbera Streisand SQ record and her voice is center channel with strings in the rear surround. Sounds like half the band is back there with her up front. The processing is there. I ordered an old Lafayette LA-64 and will test out which sounds better when it gets here. Also have a Panasonic SL-701 with CD-4 came in last week I'll try the Doors and see how it all compares.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230303-232040.png
    Screenshot_20230303-232040.png
    378.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20230303-232643.png
    Screenshot_20230303-232643.png
    270.3 KB · Views: 0
Back