New Yes album "The Quest" out in October! (5.1 Blu-ray confirmed)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Imagine the poor sod who writes "Geoff Downes" as their answer, but by the time it gets to the marker, the rock press announces that "Rick Wakeman rejoins YES!"

I have some of their selections in Japanese import CD version. Typically the Japanese CDs include a 'flow chart" of band members and their releases. The one for Yes keeps unfolding and unfolding ! With arms and tentacled spin offs and subsets everywhere. We use it as a blanket when we are camping. ( wink )

Last edited:
Magnification was my last Yes album

Yes, mine too. Was that before or after the “Keys” album? I think that was the last one that was passable as real Yes if memory serves. The one with Mind drive? Anyway, the weird thing with that band is that the ONE lineup that in hindsight should had been the one that would suck the most, not including the original one(s), was the lineup that was the strongest. I am talking about the Yes/Buggles merger. I remember first hearing about it and it was hard to wrap my mind around, as the two styles were so different. All of the other “members” have been nothing but cheap imitations. But I did like that Russian keyboardist they had for a bit.......even though he had his issues.

The biggest difference between Jon Anderson and the other singers is not the problem of the high notes, but Jon‘s smokey sound in his voice is not there….thats the reason I don‘t like the „copies“.

The Ladder.
Aside from a few clunkers wonderful music.
I saw them on a small club tour with the Russian keyboardist and Billy Sherwood.
That and the Keys studio tracks

They must have imploded before they could finish whatever the album was going to be from the Keys sessions. I think Rick bailed again. Those releases just threw whatever was mostly finished on two discs. And it sounds like after the band walked away. I think there is a lot of really strong creative material. Like Mind Drive! It never got the end game of being finalized into an album by all of them. That's what it sounds like anyway. This was the last release for me that had some genuine Yes level material.

Those live shows were good too. There are bootlegs. The live tracks tacked onto those Keys releases for filler are botched and butchered. They ended up with scratch mixes where someone tried to edit between different takes from the 3 shows. That someone didn't have musical feel and timing ability. There's constant gross out of sync bits all over the place and then an overall shrill lo-fi sound. Listen to the bootlegs. The band were absolutely not train wrecking all over the place! Those are botched edits!

Listen to those studio tracks again with an ear for what a finalized version of the album might have been. Then hunt down the audience recordings of the live shows. We were this close to getting something big!

Here's a song off the upcoming album called The Ice Bridge. I've only listened once so far, but way better than anything off the insipid Heaven and Earth, and sounds much much better produced than that album. Could be interesting in surround.

Meh... Pretty bland, but I agree it's far better.

The music is ok but the vocal lines…meeeh….
I've listened to the track 3 times and it definitely grows on you. The keyboards are great, and Steve Howe is still Steve Howe. I do find the vocals a little thin still, but I'm getting used to them! I am now quietly optimistic about the new album.

Here's a song off the upcoming album called The Ice Bridge. I've only listened once so far, but way better than anything off the insipid Heaven and Earth, and sounds much much better produced than that album. Could be interesting in surround.

Luckily, I've never been a diehard YES fan. Just a moderate fan (who owns all the multi-channel stuff from them). I dig this, I will be buying it. I think it sounds pretty damn cool.

I passed on Heaven and Earth but if the rest of the album sounds like this I'll be picking it up, especially in 5.1 which has the potential to sound great depending on who does the mixing. I really like the keyboards on this track - very full sounding and lots of energy. No more blind buys for Yes, though. Will definitely be waiting for reviews.

Back