New Yes album "The Quest" out in October! (5.1 Blu-ray confirmed)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chicago - only the later Cetera stuff
CSN, Doobies, - I disagree, but they are played on the Sirius Yacht Rock station pretty regularly
Steely Dan - From Asia onward
H&O, Toto - yes, yes
Eagles - early laid back stuff
FM - maybe

Better examples are Gerry Rafferty, Christopher Cross, Boz Scaggs, Jimmie Buffet

There is a whole thread here
BEST YACHT ROCK TITLE
Thanks, I missed that thread, so it really is a thing!

The only band I know which had quality output till the end was Rush!
All other bands like Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Iron Maiden, Metallica…lost their vision!
It all depends again. I was a huge fan of Rush (I have all their studio albums, lots of live ones and a couple a surround mixes), but I feel like they lost it after Test For Echo: Vapor Trails, Snakes & Arrows and Clockwork Angels were generic oversaturated filler songs with one interesting song per album. Pink Floyd fared much better after the departure of Roger Waters (with the exception of The Endless River witch is not a real album but a collection of jams/unreleased tracks in my opinion). I can't say for Genesis, Iron Maiden and Metallica as I have not listened to anything from them after the early-mid nineties. To each his own.🤷‍♂️

It all depends again. I was a huge fan of Rush (I have all their studio albums, lots of live ones and a couple a surround mixes), but I feel like they lost it after Test For Echo: Vapor Trails, Snakes & Arrows and Clockwork Angels were generic oversaturated filler songs with one interesting song per album. Pink Floyd fared much better after the departure of Roger Waters (with the exception of The Endless River witch is not a real album but a collection of jams/unreleased tracks in my opinion). I can't say for Genesis, Iron Maiden and Metallica as I have not listened to anything from them after the early-mid nineties. To each his own.🤷‍♂️
Agreed, we all have different tastes, I never really listen to any Rush nowadays after Moving Pictures, even though I have them all! I don't know whether its Geddy's voice changing, the songs changing, or the 80's and beyond production values making them sound muddier to me.

I'm really digging the new Iron Maiden album.
You know what I find. If I take a IM song off one of their later albums and put it on a play list with other songs from other bands, the song will eventually grow on me to the point where I like it. However if I try to listen to the overly long and dense entire Maiden album, it becomes difficult to latch onto a song and after a while the songs all start to sound the same to the point where I just can't take it any more. This goes back to the discussion we had a few weeks ago concerning the later Maiden albums and how they would be better if they were shorter (less than an hour) and only had a few songs that stretched over 8 minutes,

Agreed, we all have different tastes, I never really listen to any Rush nowadays after Moving Pictures, even though I have them all! I don't know whether its Geddy's voice changing, the songs changing, or the 80's and beyond production values making them sound muddier to me.
Push a little further forward to include Signals and Grace Under Pressure and our Rush listening habits align. Hold Your Fire and beyond generally have filler songs and/or questionable production, sadly.

I just finished the new Yes-Quest, stereo on Tidal at work. It is unfortunate, and I find this happening with a lot of new releases from old bands. This Yes, sounds like Yes.
I guess I am done with Yes, doesn't float my boat like they used to. This has happened to me before, I get sick of a certain band, don't listen to them for 10 years and then wake up one day craving them.

just thinking out loud here.......does a band do filler ? or is it that we know them / enjoy them from an era or familiar sound and once they try something "different" - we tend to cringe or claim sell out. Man I remember quite distinctly when Rush released New World Man as a single--------everyone was like, 'WTF are they doing ' ?

I just finished the new Yes-Quest, stereo on Tidal at work. It is unfortunate, and I find this happening with a lot of new releases from old bands. This Yes, sounds like Yes.
I guess I am done with Yes, doesn't float my boat like they used to. This has happened to me before, I get sick of a certain band, don't listen to them for 10 years and then wake up one day craving them.
just thinking out loud here.......does a band do filler ? or is it that we know them / enjoy them from an era or familiar sound and once they try something "different" - we tend to cringe or claim sell out. Man I remember quite distinctly when Rush released New World Man as a single--------everyone was like, 'WTF are they doing ' ?

And the REAL question arises....If the NEW YES ALBUM WASN'T IN SURROUND would anyone really care?

IMO, it's akin to watching a James Bond Movie .... without JB!

Last edited:
IMO, once Rush pushed passed the classic LP length (~44 mins) for albums, the overall quality control for their songwriting went down.
And this is coming from former a die-hard, who used to love every minute of Rush, from the debut to Test for Echo, or so. Vapor Trails sounded like shit and put me off right away. The remix brought me back some. By the time their last record came out, the magic for me was beginning to diminish. I enjoyed it a few times, but now find it mostly unlistenable.
Anyway, much Rush material has "cooled" for me, over time -- mainly tracks from '87 onward - tracks from those longer albums. There still tend to be right around 40 minutes of really good stuff, but the rest hits me like "filler". Would have been better to scrap some ideas. Further refine some others. Concentrate on that magic ~44 mins. That's what I mean, anyway.

IMO, once Rush pushed passed the classic LP length (~44 mins) for albums, the overall quality control for their songwriting went down.
And this is coming from former a die-hard, who used to love every minute of Rush, from the debut to Test for Echo, or so. Vapor Trails sounded like shit and put me off right away. The remix brought me back some. By the time their last record came out, the magic for me was beginning to diminish. I enjoyed it a few times, but now find it mostly unlistenable.
Anyway, much Rush material has "cooled" for me, over time -- mainly tracks from '87 onward - tracks from those longer albums. There still tend to be right around 40 minutes of really good stuff, but the rest hits me like "filler". Would have been better to scrap some ideas. Further refine some others. Concentrate on that magic ~44 mins. That's what I mean, anyway.

But I do believe it's a common trend for all those Rockers or great tunesmiths from the 70's and 80's...even the A+ list artists ...... They peaked and to borrow a term had 'writers block!' Even Billy Joel admits he hasn't released an album of originals since the mid 90's and uses the term "I said all I had to say!'

When that MUSE just isn't there anymore ..... you end up with FILLER!

Last edited:
But I do believe it's a common trend for all those Rockers or great tunesmiths from the 70's and 80's...even the A+ list artists ...... They peaked and to borrow a term had 'writers block!' Even Billy Joel admits he hasn't released an album of originals since the mid 90's and uses the term "I said all I had to say!'

When that MUSE just isn't there anymore ..... you end up with FILLER!
Yep, I agree that happens. As for my beloved Rush, like I said, there is still an LP length of gold on most albums. I'd like to put those guys in a time machine and somehow force them to cap albums at that magic length...

They only lost me on two albums, "Presto" and "Roll The Bones". In hindsight I agree with you about "Vapor Trails" but I was blinded by the return of the band I loved. So I really like all the others and do listen to them all periodically (at least yearly) but I have a special love for the S/T to "Permanent Waves" period. IMO they peaked on "Hemispheres". Yes, "Moving Pictures" was a great album, but they really kind of said goodbye to their prog era with that album. Good point BTW about crossing that 40 minute line.

Yep, I agree that happens. As for my beloved Rush, like I said, there is still an LP length of gold on most albums. I'd like to put those guys in a time machine and somehow force them to cap albums at that magic length...

The beauty of modern digital devices, Mike, is you can SKIP what you don't like and therefore do your own CREATIVE editing!

Wouldn't it be great, if all our favorite groups had made a bunch of surround albums and a pile of concert BD's? And when a concert BD is released, it's not in crappy DD? For example, BOC has released several concert BD's in recent years, and that's great and all and Buck keeps on playing at a pretty high level....but every one of them is DD 5.1. I mean, come on, at least give us DTS. (I know, I've said this a dozen times or more)

Early reports have the sound on Yes - The Quest at the least have the sound as decent, and lossless. So that's something.

But this thing about DD5.1 for the surround tracks showing up so often on BD's, is it cost? Is it just cheaper to use DD instead of DTS? Why not just use pcm? Or because of trying to fit everything on a single layer BD hence the DD because it takes less space? I don't get it. I don't believe some artists and/or labels do either.

And am I going to die without a hi rez, surround version of Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band? Damn it, man. :p

Back