New Yes album "The Quest" out in October! (5.1 Blu-ray confirmed)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I'm going to check it out just because they're making a surround mix. With the "throw away" stereo-only releases in recent times, this seems like a strong statement about this album. I know I know better...

The one single 5.1 mixed track from The Ladder that was released on a EP ahead of the album is actually a good listen. It's an improvement over the stereo mixes at any rate and that material needs all the extra help it can get. Or maybe better to say that that material doesn't fare well in crushed volume war stereo! Of course the full album was never released in surround and still isn't...

If you mean the 5.1 mix of the track 'Homeworld', it's got some strange instrumental balances.

If you mean the 5.1 mix of the track 'Homeworld', it's got some strange instrumental balances.
It's certainly not going to win any awards!
That track has a couple bits of life-force in it that I had not heard from them since maybe some bits of Keys to Ascension. So it's cool that they at least released the 5.1 mix of this track. It's a better listen than the stereo mix. One of the very few recent times tracks that I kind of like rather than just don't mind. There still are some cheesy 'commercial' sounding filler parts throughout though too that could have been edited out.

Here's a song off the upcoming album called The Ice Bridge. I've only listened once so far, but way better than anything off the insipid Heaven and Earth, and sounds much much better produced than that album. Could be interesting in surround.

If it weren’t for the voice the start sounded more like ELP than Yes

Back