New Yes album "The Quest" out in October! (5.1 Blu-ray confirmed)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That new Yes doesn't do much for me.

Oddly enough, hearing the first single off the forthcoming album got me exploring their more recent catalog and I came away really impressed with Fly From Here, or at least the portion with like 4-5 parts, which I think takes up side one. I guess that album was cut twice, the second time with Trevor Horn doing vocals. Both sound good to me because the music is solid. Chris Squire's playing helps as always, but to me it just has the spirit of old Yes in it, from the playing to the proggy elements to the dreamlike feel.

Huh, luckily, I'm not a Yes hard core....so...that means I think what I've heard so far is just super. I'm now going to order this. No brainer...... :) ImportCD...here I come.

again

The Quest arrived this morning, the music is going to take some getting used to, I didn't immediatly warm to it. The surround mix is good, nothing spectacular but there's plenty going on. All tracks on CD1 & CD2 are mixed in surround on the Blu-ray.
que.jpg

I've listened to it on Spotify, and after doing so, I'm wondering if Squire's other significant contribution to Yes wasn't his ability to say, "Hey, boys, let's make this about 10 bpm faster." This whole album feels like it was written and recorded on valium. It has a few-- very few-- moments, but even those are mostly with the caveat that the song would be better served by a quicker tempo. I say that and oddly enough, the one obvious ballad "Future Memories" is a solid tune whose slow pace is fitting. Even the uptempo Ice Bridge would be better suited to about a 5 bpm increase. For an album that tries to be so self-important with its subject matter, it lacks urgency. And Steve Howe should not be allowed to sing, or at least certainly not put up in the mix like he is for Music To My Ears. He sounds bad and...well...old.

2 of the 3 b-sides are really bad. Sister Sleeping Soul is a good song and should've been on the album, but I guess thematically it doesn't fit.

The Quest arrived this morning, the music is going to take some getting used to, I didn't immediatly warm to it. The surround mix is good, nothing spectacular but there's plenty going on. All tracks on CD1 & CD2 are mixed in surround on the Blu-ray.
View attachment 72050

Looking at this and seeing how they recorded it in large part individually explains a lot of the issues I'm hearing, I think.

I hear that dragging slow quality and "sounding really good, just not quite like classic Yes" quality from all their recent albums and concerts. I suppose having a real spark of life energy to a recorded version of something is still more the exception? But I'm going to blame too much click track! Oh no, you might rush or drag a little sometimes! You also might play something inspired sometimes!

I received the digital download from Century Media yesterday as I wait to receive the artbox with the 5.1 mix on the 15th-hopefully. As I listened to it, I often thought about how it could have benefitted from Squire. I miss the guy. Yes I wished it rocked out more. But I found the album enjoyable. I thought Steve did a fine job on production. When it was said and done, I thought it was more enjoyable than the other Squire-less Yes album- the self titled ABWH album.

That new Yes doesn't do much for me.

Oddly enough, hearing the first single off the forthcoming album got me exploring their more recent catalog and I came away really impressed with Fly From Here, or at least the portion with like 4-5 parts, which I think takes up side one. I guess that album was cut twice, the second time with Trevor Horn doing vocals. Both sound good to me because the music is solid. Chris Squire's playing helps as always, but to me it just has the spirit of old Yes in it, from the playing to the proggy elements to the dreamlike feel.

FFH is excellent IMO. It was released at a time when many of my favorite artists were busy doing new stuff and collaborating together in each other's projects. Around that time Geoff started DBA with Chris Braide, and Trevor Horn did The Producers album, also with Braide (and Downes too). Downes and Howe went back to Asia as well. And Squire did a record with Hackett that calls back to GTR in a way. One of the Squackett songs ended up on FFH, and YES did another Squackett song live. Would love to hear FFH mixed in 5.1. It has a lot going on.

Back