New York Voices - Let It Snow - 5.1 Multichannel SACD (June 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's fantastic news, I was getting a little forlorn reading some of the posts in this thread.

Marshall has told me that he would love to do more SACDs with Elliot Scheiner in the future.
That may depend on how Elliot's new ventures in Baseball, etc. turn out. :)

But Audio Fidelity continues to explore more Multichannel SACD titles in 2016.
So, they may not be Elliot Scheiner titles, but there will be more.

I've actually got that track on two different SACDs already, one of which is 3-channel.

While NKC's Christmas album was a pleasant enough affair, although non~essential, I much preferred the Elliot Scheiner 5.1 remix of the New York Voices "Let It Snow...." which hardly caused a ripple over here at QQ. It's actually a great [audiophile] Christmas album....if you're into that sort of thing.

I've been previewing the songs from Let It Snow on iTunes, I really like the harmonies. Anybody else own this disc and can talk about the sonics/surround?? Thinking I might pick it up for the holiday season if there's a good consensus on it...

I've been previewing the songs from Let It Snow on iTunes, I really like the harmonies. Anybody else own this disc and can talk about the sonics/surround?? Thinking I might pick it up for the holiday season if there's a good consensus on it...

I for one find this Elliot Scheiner recorded/remixed into 5.1 Christmas album STUNNING on every level. I understand NOT everyone is into Christmas music but for a wonderful, VERY satisfying yuletide experience, Scheiner's remix with very discrete use of surrounds combined with the vocal artistry of the NEW YORK VOICES Shines, Shines, SHINES!

Even Rudolph would approve! (y)

Agnostics, Bah Humbugists and Grinches NEED NOT APPLY.

Point/Counterpoint:

Tried. Tried again. Played for wife. Still nothing. eBay. Sold.

Side effects included Manhattan Transfer flashbacks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I for one find this Elliot Scheiner recorded/remixed into 5.1 Christmas album STUNNING on every level. I understand NOT everyone is into Christmas music but for a wonderful, VERY satisfying yuletide experience, Scheiner's remix with very discrete use of surrounds combined with the vocal artistry of the NEW YORK VOICES Shines, Shines, SHINES!

Even Rudolph would approve! (y)

Agnostics, Bah Humbugists and Grinches NEED NOT APPLY.

Ahh, thankee for that answer 4EW! As for you Grinches, I notice you guys live in California and Tennessee (although I understand the MT flashbacks, lol)...whereas I live so far north if I were any smaller I would have been recruited as an elf. If you don't like Christmas here, you're definitely living in the wrong place! ;) Thanks for the responses guys...(y)

As for you Grinches, I notice you guys live in California and Tennessee (although I understand the MT flashbacks, lol)...whereas I live so far north if I were any smaller I would have been recruited as an elf. If you don't like Christmas here, you're definitely living in the wrong place! ;):

For the record, my childhood was in upstate New York near Syracuse where snow was invented. #geographymatters?

We very much enjoy traditional holiday music from Vince Guaraldi, Nat King Cole and other vocalists, newer tunes from Windham Hill and similar artists. I welcome new material openly, this one is clever by half.

I wanted to like this record but honestly could not. Perhaps it is the "show tunes" aspect; maybe it's the MT flashbacks (similar ideas previously done better). Maybe its just a matter of tastes.

To proclaim that we're Grinches (AKA you're not "this" so you must be "that") is childish and we already have another 66 days of that on the TV.

Kirk out.

I just listened to some samples of this album on iTunes (in stereo, obviously) and I just don't think I care for the presentation of these classic songs enough to ever want to buy this on SACD, especially when I know I will only listen to it for one or two months out of the year.
Give me the "Charlie Brown Christmas" soundtrack, and I'll listen to that album any day of the year, but this record is just not for me, no matter how good it may sound in surround, cause it's not all about the mix you know… ;)

extraordinary that of all the hitherto unreleased Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mixes (Steely Dan, Eagles, Clapton.. and goodness knows how many others) this is what made it out.. :eek:

extraordinary that of all the hitherto unreleased Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mixes (Steely Dan, Eagles, Clapton.. and goodness knows how many others) this is what made it out.. :eek:

"Let is Snow" is much lower hanging fruit compared to almost any other artist that Elliot Scheiner has done mixing work for, hence why Audio Fidelity took advantage of it for a Multichannel SACD release, though I'm doubtful they made the return on their investment that they were looking to make…

I just listened to some samples of this album on iTunes (in stereo, obviously) and I just don't think I care for the presentation of these classic songs enough to ever want to buy this on SACD, especially when I know I will only listen to it for one or two months out of the year.

Same here, after hearing the samples, I knew that it wasn't for me. I have hundreds of Christmas LPs and CDs so if I don't like how something sounds, I won't buy it just because it's in Multichannel. I'm sure some people like this album and it's great for them that there's a SACD offering great sound and two mixes.

"Let is Snow" is much lower hanging fruit compared to almost any other artist that Elliot Scheiner has done mixing work for, hence why Audio Fidelity took advantage of it for a Multichannel SACD release, though I'm doubtful they made the return on their investment that they were looking to make…

yep.. maybe part of why their Surround programme has stalled.. cheaper titles to license maybe but if the stuff doesn't sell it doesn't matter how cheap it was to acquire the rights in the first place.. the law of diminishing returns and all that.. blah.. sick of dwelling on it tbh., there's plenty of other things to be positive about wrt surround music :)

For the record, my childhood was in upstate New York near Syracuse where snow was invented. #geographymatters?

We very much enjoy traditional holiday music from Vince Guaraldi, Nat King Cole and other vocalists, newer tunes from Windham Hill and similar artists. I welcome new material openly, this one is clever by half.

I wanted to like this record but honestly could not. Perhaps it is the "show tunes" aspect; maybe it's the MT flashbacks (similar ideas previously done better). Maybe its just a matter of tastes.

To proclaim that we're Grinches (AKA you're not "this" so you must be "that") is childish and we already have another 66 days of that on the TV.

Kirk out.

Wow, the Grinch comment was just a joke...

Give me the "Charlie Brown Christmas" soundtrack, and I'll listen to that album any day of the year, but this record is just not for me, no matter how good it may sound in surround, cause it's not all about the mix you know… ;)

I like it, but I agree with you on playability. It's $39 up here, and I have to decide if that's a price I'll pay for something I'll only play a month or two. Thanks everyone for your comments...

Christmas is a total B.S. holiday for a lot of people. Discussing it can pack a lot of emotional weight.
Musically speaking, I think Christmas albums were a better bet back in the '50's or so, when mainstream Christianity was far more dominant, here in the US and in other developed countries.
Nowadays, more and more people are not affiliated with religion or are even anti-religious, through bad experiences, better education (especially access to information rapidly through the internet) and stuff like that.
I just can't see Christmas albums as being the "sure thing" they once were.
Perhaps an album of Winter Solstice music or something that includes a variety of religions from cultures around the world would pack more appeal, if the music is good.

Windham did at least one Winter Solstice album that was great, probably low in sales but worth having. Reminding myself it's September and more Indian Summer is what I need!

#whenworldscollide

Back