New York Voices - Let It Snow - 5.1 Multichannel SACD (June 2015)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the record and I could be wrong, but 'Let It Snow' was almost concurrently released when AF announced its association with renowned producer/remixer Elliot Scheiner. So it may have been a concession as a 'thank you' to Elliot for signing on.

Everyone is right. Admittedly, Christmas music, in general, has a short 1 month shelf life and yes, there are much better Christmas titles out there but NOT too many in audiophile 5.1 surround.......which on my system......this album IS.

Like ALL AF surround titles......buy at your own discretion. Nuff Said. Personally, I only paid about $20 for this title but paying upwards of $40 IS a bit of a stretch.

For the record and I could be wrong, but 'Let It Snow' was almost concurrently released when AF announced its association with renowned producer/remixer Elliot Scheiner. So it may have been a concession as a 'thank you' to Elliot for signing on.

Everyone is right. Admittedly, Christmas music, in general, has a short 1 month shelf life and yes, there are much better Christmas titles out there but NOT too many in audiophile 5.1 surround.......which on my system......this album IS.

Like ALL AF surround titles......buy at your own discretion. Nuff Said.

Your memory is correct. The album was out on Stereo CD but not in 5.1 Surround.
Elliot Scheiner had mixed the album in 5.1 Surround and was anxious to see it released in that format.

The E-Train association with Audio Fidelity brought that desire to reality.

Your memory is correct. The album was out on Stereo CD but not in 5.1 Surround.
Elliot Scheiner had mixed the album in 5.1 Surround and was anxious to see it released in that format.

The E-Train association with Audio Fidelity brought that desire to reality.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Brian, but is the E~Train association with Audio Fidelity OVER since Elliot has retired or are there more SURROUND titles in the forecast bearing his imprimatur?

After all, Baseball season is rather short and what's Mr. E gonna do for the rest of the season?

Correct me if I'm wrong, Brian, but is the E~Train association with Audio Fidelity OVER since Elliot has retired or are there more SURROUND titles in the forecast bearing his imprimatur?

After all, Baseball season is rather short and what's Mr. E gonna do for the rest of the season?

As far as I'm concerned, Elliot does not even need to mix new titles (or remix old titles) in surround.
Audio Fidelity just has to find a way to license out some of his older (or even unreleased) mixes that are already completed, but either the owning parties (record label and/or artist) are putting up a road block to that happening, or AF just do not see profit potential from albums that could be available to them.
The real gold mine for AF when it comes to Elliot Scheiner 5.1 mixes (besides anything great that is unreleased, of course) are those DVD-A only releases from the likes of Steely Dan & Donald Fagen. ("Kamakiriad", "Two Against Nature", and "Everything Must Go")
I know that Marshall has tried to acquire those titles (especially "Kamakiriad") but none of those have received the green light, and I don't think they ever will.

There's also some other albums that are probably low-hanging fruit for AF that they could also try to grab, with "Toy Matinee" being probably the best option, but let's face it. ETrain barely left the station before it ran off the tracks…

Marshall is a big fan of Elliot and his work. He is certainly open to working with him again if the opportunity becomes available.

Let It Snow by the New York Voices on Audio Fidelity Multichannel SACD is on sale during December for $19.99 at Elusive Disc as part of their December sale.

afsam520.jpg

http://www.elusivedisc.com/New-York...lti-Channel-Stereo-SACD/productinfo/AFSAM520/

NIce! Says he completed work on New York Voices....at least he's still somewhat busy. Wish he'd pull some amazing stuff off the shelf!

And ironically, everyone here at QQ complained about Audio Fidelity's New York Voices Christmas album Let It Snow with a stunning Elliot Scheiner 5.1 remix, which, IMO, was gorgeous!

See the source image

And ironically, everyone here at QQ complained about Audio Fidelity's New York Voices Christmas album Let It Snow with a stunning Elliot Scheiner 5.1 remix, which, IMO, was gorgeous!

See the source image

You are right Ralphie....and unfortunately history repeats itself...there are those that are complaining about Dutton's releases

I did not complain (except about the fact that it was released on SACD). I said it was great, and I still feel that way.
I heard it was beautiful sounding but the material was not that strong as a Christmas album, and AF issued this when they could have released another stunner of a Pop/Rock title that would have sold better.

Too many Misfires like this can bring a company down.

I heard it was beautiful sounding but the material was not that strong as a Christmas album, and AF issued this when they could have released another stunner of a Pop/Rock title that would have sold better.
Too many Misfires like this can bring a company down.

It's also the case that Elliot Scheiner really wanted Audio Fidelity to release this as a Surround Sound SACD - as part of their Surround Sound SACD reissue series.
Some would say it is good policy to stay in the good graces of such a talented and influential Surround Sound producer and engineer..... :)

It's also the case that Elliot Scheiner really wanted Audio Fidelity to release this as a Surround Sound SACD - as part of their Surround Sound SACD reissue series.
Some would say it is good policy to stay in the good graces of such a talented and influential Surround Sound producer and engineer..... :)
Yes, it’s called politics, and in this case did not pay back dividends. Dreams of an unissued Scheiner surround mix later materializing were just that, dreams and fantasy.

Yes, it’s called politics, and in this case did not pay back dividends. Dreams of an unissued Scheiner surround mix later materializing were just that, dreams and fantasy.

Have you ever considered what Audio Fidelity paid in licensing fees for those A or B+ List QUAD masters ...according to bmoura ... $30K per. Elliot might've offered Let It Snow to Marshall at a much reduced licensing fee as it was a pet project for Elliot. No harm was done. Compare that to Dutton Vocalion who would probably shudder at those exhorbitant licensing fees.

Like anything in the digital age ..... we are fortunate to get what we get. Call us quaddies the lost tribe ...... we're stuck in the 70's and frankly, the majors just don't care. If they were truly on board....... we'd all be singing a different tune .... and it would be in surround....or maybe Atmos for the masses!

Have you ever considered what Audio Fidelity paid in licensing fees for those A or B+ List QUAD masters ...according to bmoura ... $30K per. Elliot might've offered Let It Snow to Marshall at a much reduced licensing fee as it was a pet project for Elliot. No harm was done. Compare that to Dutton Vocalion who would probably shudder at those exhorbitant licensing fees.
Like anything in the digital age ..... we are fortunate to get what we get. Call us quaddies the lost tribe ...... we're stuck in the 70's and frankly, the majors just don't care. If they were truly on board....... we'd all be singing a different tune .... and it would be in surround....or maybe Atmos for the masses!
It likely was a lower cost / no cost endeavor, sure.

But no, it was not Brian who quoted the 30k license fee. It was me who stated that AF spend 30k total to get a title to market. Licensing, mastering, pressing, etc. I know the breakdown in some detail. Marshall told me directly. I had a wonderful lunch with him in Hollywood when the 4.0s were coming out at a good pace and I grilled him for 3 hours or more on the details of what kind of work and cash it takes to get a quad layered SACD delivered shrink wrapped.

Anyway, it was not just “Voices” that was a misfire. We need not bother with water under that bridge.

But anyway - it’s one thing to take whatever they put out and be thankful for it, it’s another thing to be able to keep a company afloat on those same (poor) choices.

Quadraphonic mixes are certainly from the 70s alright, stuck there or not? Not really if they can get them into discs today and tomorrow!!!!

Let’s get back to dreams and fantasy, much more enjoyable thoughts and emotions.

Last edited:
I’m not sure that NY Voices constitutes an either or situation. I don’t know of any information to suggest/confirm that another, potentially more marketable Pop/Rock album was shelved or delayed due to the release of NY Voices. And even if that were the case, it doesn’t change the forecast for future surround releases going forward.

I would be curious to know of any commercial endeavor in which politics did not play a role.

Back