Newbie - Where to Start?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GWC

Hi, I just got a Pioneer QX949 but don't know much about Quad recordings. I imagine there is a thread already that might answer some of these questions. Would someone be so kind as to point me in the correct direction?

1. Are there digital recordings of quadraphonic albums on Apple Music or other streaming sites that I can play through the QX949?
2. Or that I can buy?
3. Are there other newer formats that I can input to the receiver and get quad output?
4. Are there new releases of old quad albums I can purchase?
5. I do not have a turntable, If digital recordings are not a viable option and I need a turntable, Recommendations on a budget (to begin with) option?
As you can tell, I really don't know much yet, and am further hampered by my age and the excessive period that I have been out of touch.
But, I am a fast learner if someone would give me a little shove.
Thanks much in advance. I'm looking forward to exploring this forum.

Hi, I just got a Pioneer QX949 but don't know much about Quad recordings. I imagine there is a thread already that might answer some of these questions. Would someone be so kind as to point me in the correct direction?

1. Are there digital recordings of quadraphonic albums on Apple Music or other streaming sites that I can play through the QX949?
2. Or that I can buy?
3. Are there other newer formats that I can input to the receiver and get quad output?
4. Are there new releases of old quad albums I can purchase?
5. I do not have a turntable, If digital recordings are not a viable option and I need a turntable, Recommendations on a budget (to begin with) option?
As you can tell, I really don't know much yet, and am further hampered by my age and the excessive period that I have been out of touch.
But, I am a fast learner if someone would give me a little shove.
Thanks much in advance. I'm looking forward to exploring this forum.
Hello GWC and welcome.

First, if you want very capable decoding of SQ and QS Lps, you must forget about the built-in decoders of the Pioneer. Of course, if enjoying your receiver as-is is a priority for you, go ahead, get a turntable and start buying records at ebay and discogs. Otherwise get an Involve Audio unit and feed it to the 4-channel tape deck inputs.

The CD-4 demodulator of the QX949 is good, but demodulating is just a part of the issue. Getting CD-4 to work could be fun, if you have the right frame of mind. Be prepared for anger and frustration.

Of course you might want to listen to the newer multichannel digital disc offerings (DVD-A, SACD, Blu-ray). You will need one or two players with mch analog outputs and a Tekton switch. Beware, the Pioneer cannot handle more than 4 channels.

That will get you started. Enjoy the ride!

Last edited:
Thank you that will get me started. I'll run it thought ChatGPT and have it explain everything you just said to me. Thank you!

It sounds to me like you are really new to quad. In that case, realize it all started in the 70's with vintage quad like the receiver you purchased.

It was the beginning of 4 channel vs. stereo 2 channel. The main sources of old vintage music to play back in this analog technology will be quadraphonic 8 track tapes, 4 channel reel to reel tapes, and vinyl LP's that require decoding into 4 channels. There is CD-4 which is discrete 4 channel playback but you need a CD-4 demodulator. Believe the QX949 has one built in? Then there are the matrix LP's like QS and SQ which you need a decoder for. The one built into the QX949 is probably inadequate and trust me that is being kind. You need to buy a Sound Master V.2 or V.3 for a decoder if you want to play QS and SQ quadraphonic LP's.

You can also probably figure out how to play some new digital technology through this 4 channel reciever too, but you may need to add one or two speakers and a separate stereo analog receiver to get to 5 or 6 amplifiers to play 5.1 digital. Then you will need a sony or oppo player that plays multichannel dvd, blu ray, sacd, etc. You will need a player that is capable of outputting music in analog, or you will need to get a separate DAC (digital to analog converter) to play back these digital sources through your analog equipment. What is sounds like is you may not fully appreciate how much music has evolved from analog to digital the last 50 years, and how vintage equipment like the QX949 have to be adapted if you want to play digital sources through it? If I am presuming too much concerning your knowledge base, I apologize, but I have tried to explain in the simplest way some of the considerations you may need to think about.

I am just now myself getting into digital. I have always just played analog music up until now. So, I have been on this journey myself.

There are more sophisticated ways you can play digital music using software and flac files from your computer and convert it to analog and play it through your analog receiver too, but that is another step.

If you just want to get really simple, purchase a digital Audio Visual Receiver and a disc player, and go that route, but it doesn't make use of your QX949.

I have both the old Sansui 8001 I had all these years and purchased a new Denon H4700X AVR too, so I can go several ways.

Good luck with Chat GPT ....... I asked it some hard questions and all I got was computer double speak and it said check with a financial advisor, and it gave some ways to do stuff which I already knew,,,,,Ask it the best 10 stocks to purchase in the current economy and watch it side step, do a Fred Astaire tap dance and tell you to try a stock screener or your financial advisor......real smart.......my neighbor could have told me that.

Or ask it the 10 best sounding mixes for digital sound releases to date?

I'll wager the polls here on QQ are a lot more informed!

Thank you that will get me started. I'll run it thought ChatGPT and have it explain everything you just said to me. Thank you!
I’ve messed with that, and I don’t believe that it’s as good as some people say. It makes up stuff and doesn’t tell you that it’s doing that.

But other than that, welcome to a journey that may well last as long as you do. I’ve been collecting and playing surround for about 50 years, and I sure hope I’m not done.

Back