Newest Acura ELS DVD Audio demo disc

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPR

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Anyone know if anything has been released since March '09?
My salesman promised to send me all new releases

When I picked up my 2011 TSX Wagon, I asked for the new disc, and was told they don't give discs away anymore. Because he knew I was a 5.1 fan, he "looked in the back" and gave me a copy of the last issued disc, the one with "Monday Morning" (Fleetwood Mac) on it. I think that's the latest and last disc we may see.

Jon;

Just spoke to my salesman in 'Jersey
He's mailing me a new disc today
I'll post after I receive it, & let you know if it's new

lol; my salesman sent me a DVD VIDEO for a 2004 TL; have zero idea what he was thinking;
anyway, when I called him, he told me that discs are no longer given for the ELS system.
I'll do some more investigaing, & report back later in the week:eek::confused:

Unfortunately, there are no new demo discs. It makes sense when you think about it, since there is no new music being released in dvd-audio. They can only use the same songs for so long in their demo discs. I'm afraid that dvd-audio capability itself will disappear in most cars soon including Acura.

They could make a bad-ass ELS Demo DVD-Audio if they used tracks from all of the unreleased DVD-Audio titles that Elliot Schiener mixed for release.

Remember those old lists that Mike Cunningham and later timbre4 used to update every so often? Phil Collins, CSNY, Graceland, Fleetwood Mac (we got a track from that disc), and many more. Now THAT would be very sweet! :D

Now that the private security contractors have been kicked out of Iraq, time to hire some of them and conduct some black OPS to liberate some of these unreleased tracks. Maybe Jack Bauer can upload some schematics of the storage facilities....

They could make a bad-ass ELS Demo DVD-Audio if they used tracks from all of the unreleased DVD-Audio titles that Elliot Schiener mixed for release.

Remember those old lists that Mike Cunningham and later timbre4 used to update every so often? Phil Collins, CSNY, Graceland, Fleetwood Mac (we got a track from that disc), and many more. Now THAT would be very sweet! :D

This would be great, but what would be the point of Acura promoting dvd-audio at this time? There isn't enough material (especially any new material) out there for people to buy in dvd-audio format as we all know.

Check this out at acura.com. http://www.acura.com/ELSSoundSystem.aspx
I viewed the video blog about Band of Horse and the 5.1 mix and was beyond excited. But guess what? You can't get the 5.1 mix as a standalone as far as I can see.

Acura will also be promoting the ELS system in theatres soon. In fact, some Acura cars will be in the upcoming summer movie, "Thor", and leading up to that movie the ELS system will be advertised heavily. Why they are promoting this 8-10 years too late is beyond me...

Last edited:
DVD/A UPDATE!

Yesterday, opened my mail, & found a new DVD/A/ELS Surround disc
Some repeat songs from previous discs, but some new ones, as well
Will preview tonight; interested to hear Fleetwood Mac's "Monday Morning", in 5.1

Yep, the 2008 issue seems to be the last one. Glad I hung on to it when I traded the old TL in, they're not giving them out anymore. :(

Yep, the 2008 issue seems to be the last one. Glad I hung on to it when I traded the old TL in, they're not giving them out anymore. :(

Excellent marketing.

Acura salesman: "This car has an excellent sound system that plays DVD-Audio discs in great-sounding surround sound that envelops you!"
Prospective customer: "I've never heard of that, but it sounds pretty cool!"
AS: "Would you like to hear it?"
PC: "I sure would!"
AS: "Do you have a DVD-Audio disc?"
PC: "No, don't you?"
AS: "Nope! Maybe we should look at the TL without the tech package..."

When friends and family ask me why I picked my "costly" Acura...I tell them for the sound system. Then I sit them in the car and play Gaucho or Love...love their reactions. But they still think I'm nuts....

I just bought a 2013 TL and it came with the demo disc. They sales guy said all the cars they sell with ELS come with a demo disc. It's the 2008 disc btw.
Maybe some dealers are less honest and keep the discs?

Hope some others can share some information about the Els Dvd Audio Disk, one dated 2008 as well or maybe the other ones.
I totally forgot about this disk. I bought a 2013 Acura ILX a year ago Dec.31,2012 and f not for Bob Romano having a draw of a copy for a 2008 Demo Disk right now, I had to go look for the disk I received when I purchased my car.
I remember listening to a couple of tracks and then as I was so excited to listen to my Dvd Audio collection in a new way in the car I did not actually ever listen all the way through this disk tell the last couple of days.
Well I have now and I am not a sampler type music listener as I like listening to complete albums but this demo disk is stellar. There are some great selections on this disk and great variety of songs.
This morning driving in, I was listening to the "Steve Miller-Fly Like an Eagle" and after listening it both made me happy to hear it in lossless and also make me almost want to cry that this is not how the DD 5.1 copy I have of the album sounds, its not even close to this good.
The building surround mix where Elliot S. goes through adding in one instrument at a time to each speaker is also really neat as he does it with Grover Washington's-Limelight.
To bad the music industry did not do something like this years ago to educate the public on how amazing surround can sound.

I will have to do some more research now as I don't have any Bonnie Raitt,Simple Plan,Diana Krall or Grover Washington.
Which of these should I try to track down as these track all sound pretty good on here.

Now that the private security contractors have been kicked out of Iraq, time to hire some of them and conduct some black OPS to liberate some of these unreleased tracks. Maybe Jack Bauer can upload some schematics of the storage facilities....

me thinks you watch way too much tv!

I just bought a 2013 TL and it came with the demo disc. They sales guy said all the cars they sell with ELS come with a demo disc. It's the 2008 disc btw.
Maybe some dealers are less honest and keep the discs?

I just bought one off flebay from a Honda dealer who sells used parts also. They evidently had no clue what they had, as it sold as 'parts", that they deal in exclusively. Sad comment on the promotion of dvd audio in Acura's, and everywhere else.

I will have to do some more research now as I don't have any Bonnie Raitt,Simple Plan,Diana Krall or Grover Washington.
Which of these should I try to track down as these track all sound pretty good on here.

The Winelight/Grover Washington Jr. DVD-A is absolutely amazing -- no, its SENSATIONAL..!! It's not all bells and whistles but it is one of ES' best surround mixes (and so one of the best "modern" surround music mixes ever, imho) you simply have to get it.

The Bonnie Raitt "Nick Of Time" DVD-A is excellent too, probably the best/most consistent of the Capitol DVD-A's from a surround mix point of view.

Of the Diana Krall 5.1's, my personal recommendations based on the surround mix are When I Look In Your Eyes and The Look Of Love, the other two I'm not so fussed about.. The Girl In The Other Room surround mix is good in places but mediocre in others, while the Love Scenes album just doesn't have enough going on in it and the mix doesn't do much to liven things up, again just imho and ymmv etc :)

Back