HiRez Poll Newman, Anthony - MUSIC FOR ORGAN, BRASS & TIMPANI [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Anthony Newman - MUSIC FOR ORGAN, BRASS AND TIMPANI

• 9:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8:

• 7:

• 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Bad Mix, Bad Sonics, Bad Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Music for Organ, Brass and Timpani - Anthony Newman, Graham Ashton Brass Ensemble with Duncan Patton (Sonoma Records)

Please post your comments and observations (y) (n)

Just got around to listening to this one.
Excellent sonics & spreading the instruments around you. The liner notes say the intent of instrument and mic positioning was to optimize the 5.1 soundfield.

For classical music fans, a must buy.

Just got around to listening to this one.
Excellent sonics & spreading the instruments around you. The liner notes say the intent of instrument and mic positioning was to optimize the 5.1 soundfield.

For classical music fans, a must buy.

Agreed - this is easily one of the best recorded, direct to DSD sessions period. A must buy for Classical fans as you say.

Mic positioning, player positioning, choice of venue, gear, producer, everything optimized to try to create the truest of true SACDs. The liner notes go in to the care of production quite extensively, including diagrams.
I think the care and attention to detail shows. This recording is lovely. I'm no aficionado of recordings of the original composers (a variety of greats), though I own quite a few and recognize a piece here and there. So, I won't speak to performance, except that it sounds on point, to me. Is there some version, of a certain piece, out there that you'd prefer for feel, tempo, etc.? Maybe. But for what it is, this disc is gorgeous.

I would be very curious to hear how this stacks up against the famour Power E. Biggs Bach recording. Anybody have both?

In lieu of that, I'm going with a 10.

Back