Next DVD-A release from "QuadroSurround" is from The David Celia Band

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
LIVE AND QUADRAPHONIC

Today I received an evaluation copy of the newest release from Germany's QUADRO-SURROUND label, founded by QQ Member Dietrich Rasch.

I will let him comment on the release below, as he has asked, and in the mean time I will listen to this disc and respond with my own impressions. Once the disc is released, I will create a thread for this in the HiRez Poll section.

Here are the scans from the DVD-Audio disc that Dietrich sent me:

Quadro 2 - David Ceclia Band Front BIG.jpg
Quadro 2 - David Ceclia Band Back BIG.jpg

The David Celia Band is a rock-band from Canada, which plays their concerts in their own country, but also in the USA and Europe. So also sometimes in Germany. One of their concerts we have recorded in digital multitrack. It is not "Heavy Metal". One can name theire rockmusic as "roots" or "folk". Some tracks are with rhythm and dynamic some others are more melodic. I think, a well listening mixture.

They have already self produced 3 Stereo-CD's. One also with distribution by universal music. You can listen some parts from this CD's in this webside: www.davidcelia.com/songspage.html. There is seen also a video clip. On our own webside www.quadro-surround.de you can listen from sunday 3 tracks from our quadraphonic production. Look by music examples in the fron page. We have had meanwhile already most praising reactions - also from High Enders, who are most very critical by real surround sounds. So I am now very interested for the comment from Jon, when he has listen this new production. Also when there would be - or from other listener - a critical remark, it could only help us for further efforts for quality.

It is a live recording, which has generally another sound character as a studio production. But I think, rock-music is best recorded live. So one has then the right feeling as be self in the audience and can have at home nevertheless a real surround sound. But as by other surround productions: Important by listening is the right balance from front and back informations. Both should have on the place of listening the same intensity. I write this therefore, because some with "modern" surround equipment can have vary results.

Dietrich

I spent a few days listening to this disc and my first observation is that it's a pretty good surround disc for a live concert. I'm not a big fan of live environment surround discs, because most of them are rather ambient and can easily be done by pressing a HALL or SURROUND button on a surround receiver.

This disc is a bit more than that, as the background vocals are hard panned to the rears, and the audience applause and such are discrete and "all around the listener", not just in the back. It gives a good feel that you're in a club listening to a house band.

The artist is of the folk/rock genre, and does a set list of his songs and some covers, and is fairly exposed in that it does not sound like there were any edits afterwards in the studio, it's a raw, as it was recorded concert, which is not bad in my book. It's a good way to seperate those that can perform live and those that can't.

On the whole, it's not a bad disc, but it's not a surround spectacular like the previous release of Latin music. For those interested in hearing a sample, I've created a 16/44.1 DTS encoded wav file (the DVD-A is 24/48) that is 1 minute of the David Celia Band covering Neil Young's "Rockin' in the Free World" live, of course.

Download the file and play it with Foobar or any other player that can decode a DTS wav file. If you try to play it right from here, you'll probably just hear static.

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/miscstuff/DTSENC.wav

Hello Jon,

Thank you for your comment for the David Celia DVD-Audio. It is indeed a fact, that the sound and surround character for the Frank Valdor latin and this live Rock concert is diffferent. Frank Valdors recording was done predominant in a studio, during the recording by David Celia was live. As you have also noticed, our surround mixdown is better as some or most other new productions (Blu Ray) with only audience in the rears. We have mixed in the rear channels left and right the drums and a lot of the bass guitar. One may lift the back channels a little, when their impression is to low. A helpfull sight from you for the David Celia DVD-A. We have a second rock production in preparation with may be some more distinct surround impression. But live is live. And rock music sounds better live as played in a studio. You will receive also our next productions for interesting comments of your sight.

Dietrich

Dietrich

Back