Next XTC 5.1 Release - Apple Venus (Cancelled)

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjcorne

Staff member
XTC.jpg

Getting ahead, but it seems Wasp Star would be next as they're both recorded on the Otari RADAR system. The tweet says tape and restoration and all that but I'm pretty sure they've had issues with getting the files off of the hard drive system. I think it's in a thread somewhere here. Anyone recall exactly? Googling, I found some interesting stuff:
AP and Colin about recording Apple Venus: Chalkhills: "Partridge Family Values", EQ, September 2000
Mix online article about Apple Venus, and some recording history: XTC'S LONG ROAD TO "APPLE VENUS"
AP in tapeop about Wasp Star: Andy Partridge of XTC: The Wasp Star Interview
I love Apple Venus!

Three reactions:

1) Yes *please*.

2) I'm a little surprised they're not going ahead and doing a deluxe set with both Apple Venus albums. Maybe that was just my hope -- I don't see myself buying Wasp Star on its own, as it ranks with the first two albums as my least favorite XTC.

3) I'm a little saddened, because this implies that there's been no further progress in finding tapes for English Settlement/Mummer/Big Express. I wish at some point they'd throw in the towel and do a compilation (a la Gentle Giant's Three Piece Suite) of whatever songs they *do* have from those albums. I'd rather have something than nothing.

Agree with item #3 above.
Ironic timing because just last night I finally started dipping into the XTC blu rays, beginning with Drums and Wires

Drums and Wires (and English Settlement) was my favorite back in the 80s and still is. One of my favorite alternative/new wave albums of all time!

Three reactions:

1) Yes *please*.

2) I'm a little surprised they're not going ahead and doing a deluxe set with both Apple Venus albums. Maybe that was just my hope -- I don't see myself buying Wasp Star on its own, as it ranks with the first two albums as my least favorite XTC.

3) I'm a little saddened, because this implies that there's been no further progress in finding tapes for English Settlement/Mummer/Big Express. I wish at some point they'd throw in the towel and do a compilation (a la Gentle Giant's Three Piece Suite) of whatever songs they *do* have from those albums. I'd rather have something than nothing.

I second your #1 and #3, @Monkish. As for #2: Give Wasp Star A(nother) Chance! I think it's a stronger album overall than Apple Venus. "Stupidly Happy," "The Man Who Murdered Love," "You and the Clouds," "Church of Women"--those are all are in my personal Partridge pantheon.

Last edited:
Or even do an upmix of the songs with the missing tapes. While not as good as a proper 5.1 mix Steven Wilson has done a pretty good job with other XTC tracks that had to be upmixed.

I would prefer "English Settlement" or "Mummer" but it is what it is.
Apple Venus is a mixed bag for me.
Andy's compositions are basically all great.
Colin's compositions on the other hand are amongst his very worst IMHO.

Same is true for "Wasp Star".
Andy's continually reaching for brilliance on certain tracks, but Colin is clearly slipping into mediocrity.

Still, this is definitely a day 1 purchase for me!

:)

Not my fave XTC stuff but still a lot of really good songs and I know it'll be even better in the new mixes. I'm in of course.

Back