NIB Russound QT-1 (Black Version)

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

par4ken

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
I have one of those and it's very useful if you have a lot of equipment. The routing of signals can get a bit confusing at first or if you haven't used it in awhile. Personally I love rackmount equipment!

senorverde

One just sold on there last week for $197. But in all honesty anyone with a soldering iron and some multi throw/pole rotary switches could probably build something similar for half the cost. Back when I had a receiver with only one quad tape loop I built a box that could route the tape out signal to any three decoder inputs and then either route the output back to the receiver or a tape unit (and do my monitoring from that). But interesting find no less.

Quad Linda

Staff member
One just sold on there last week for $197. But in all honesty anyone with a soldering iron and some multi throw/pole rotary switches could probably build something similar for half the cost. Back when I had a receiver with only one quad tape loop I built a box that could route the tape out signal to any three decoder inputs and then either route the output back to the receiver or a tape unit (and do my monitoring from that). But interesting find no less.
Great piece šŸ„§ As mentioned, it can be confusing at first.

I was in high school I built and designed a 2ch šŸ“¦ box. Eight years before I heard of Russound.

When I first saw Russound, Gaylord Russell had just introduced QT-1. It was '77 CES. Bought one on the spot. He didn't have interconnect cables ready, but mailed them to me, as promised. It comes with several mini to mini cables. They are patch cables. Most functions will work without them.

QT-1 and Akai CR-80DSS have been a part of my main systems until this day.

furui_suterioo

400 Club - QQ All-Star
One just sold on there last week for $197
I just received that one yesterday, the seller accepted a much lower offer. Lol I should have waited for this one!
Edit: Finally figured out how to operate it, took me over an hour, the instructions kind of confusing.

Last edited:

senorverde

Well I threw him an offer. He wants no less than $300 for it which is beyond me for what it is. Happy bidding folks.

surround.sound.enthusiast

400 Club - QQ All-Star
That factory box was an eye opener! I never knew that Russound was in North Berwick, Maine. That's only about 20 minutes away from where I'm sitting right now, and I've been by that location an endless number of times! They didn't move far since those days, they're now only about an hour away in New Market, New Hampshire. Wow.

MidiMagic

500 Club - QQ All-Star
I did that too. I have built 3 different boxes over the years.

My current one has:
- Two 12 position (one pos is OFF) source selectors
- Connections for a DJ mixer.
- Three tape/cd-r loops with play as source and separate monitor switches.
- Stereo/mono/blend/reverse switching for each of the source selectors
- Three output selectors

par4ken

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Use of a mixer for input signals can eliminate the need for a lot of switching/patching. My main (homebuilt) system has four (mixed) inputs which eliminates a lot of switching. No ill effects have been noted from the unused equipment remaining connected when not in use.

Wagonmaster_91

400 Club - QQ All-Star
Since 2002/2003
One of the things I like about the QT-1 is that the inputs are cut out of the signal path when the switches for an input are in the middle position. Also, you can feed the output of one input into another, chaining the signal. You can do all sorts of experimenting when you combine the use of the switches with the patchbay. For example, you could listen to the front channels of one decoder and the rear of another. Or run just the front or rear channels of a given decoder through another processor (reverb unit maybe?).
I do notice a drop in signal if more than one input's switches are activated, so it is nice to be able to eliminate all but the one I want to use at any given time.

Last edited: