Nick Gilder's hit album in Quad?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzywiggs41

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
I found this little story from Billboard rather interesting . This story takes place at Chrysalis Records Studio in L.A. in 77 with
Terry Ellis cueing up on Reel , Nick Gilder's new album (Hot Child In The City 78 and Roxy Roller in 76,hit tunes).

" Finally Ellis is at the stereo cabinet and threaded up the first track..Rated X . (fr. Nick Gilder -You Know Who You Are)
Ellis begins the next cut and another high voltage rocker titled..Drivin' On punctuated by Gilder's high vocal loudly fills the room.
By this time both Ellis and Helfer*are standing in the middle of the room absorbing the full four channel effect. "

*Gilder's Manager

(BB June 04th 1977 pg 41)

Last edited:
I've heard stories that Quad was due for a big comeback in the late 70's. By that point, Quad FM was proven and "on the horizon" so to speak, CD-4 had become the clear winner of the Quad LP format war, tape duplication houses were ramping up production, studios were going 24-track with Dolby and more and more producers and engineers were learning how to mix GOOD Quad and there was even talk of a 4-channel Elcaset which would've brought to the home very good quality playback with the convenience of a large-format cassette.

.... and then just.... nothing.

Even the big boys RCA who held on through 1980 and CBS until at least the Spring of '77.... it's hard to even speculate what went on behind closed doors but I'm sure the big boys with the Oaken desks (whom I'm sure associated with each-other outside the office) probably didn't want a repeat of the previous round of Quad and didn't see the need.
A quick peek at the auto industry shows us while Ford was the only manufacturer that jumped into Quad with both feet; pretty much EVERYBODY ELSE including little AMC began offering 4-speaker stereos (FM or with tape) as early as 1972. Coincidence? I don't believe so. Though I have no concrete evidence; I'm sure the other manufacturers looked into Quad and offered 4-speaker Stereos for the possibly forth-coming REAL 4-channel units. Then they wouldn't have to re-engineer the whole interior of the car - simply swap the head unit and Robert is your mothers-brother.

Last edited:
Oh ,I read different.

CD-4 was not the clear winner for LP format wars , but broadcasting using Discrete 444 was the winner.

And although the winner , matrix quad broadcasting was still permitted to continue , and did so sporadically.

And SQ did not quit in 77 nor 78 , but continued thanks to Angel and EMI recordings...well into the early 80's.
I might also add SQ via Eurodisc Germany and Supraphon Czech Republic ....including on their CD'S.
Also let's not forget the efforts in the 80's of Tate/Bogue/Reber with SQ video : Lazer Disc, VHS & BETA HIFI and Super 8.

And in 444 Discrete....? (Some 6 or 8 Q8'S for high end cars from Ford Mercury Lincoln, 76-80)
RCA imported Isao Tomita CD-4 from Japan til 1980 , and Arista had a CD-4 in 79.
But they NQRC , failed to broadcast anything after the Pro Discrete decision .

Back