Nick Mason's S.O.S

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can't wait! Saw the last tour 4 times. Will see the new show in Chicago a week from Monday.
Taking a friend who I haven't seen in several years. The last concert he and I went to together was Pink Floyd at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison Wisconsin in 2004.
I don't know why I said 2004. LOL, I meant 1994.

Attachments

• 19940703 Pink Floyd.jpg
    19940703 Pink Floyd.jpg
    623.5 KB · Views: 0
Caught the show in Toronto: great!!

They breathe some fresh life into those original Syd era songs. Vegetable man was hilarious. Nice to see the guys having fun on stage, and Nick behind the kit.

Lee that was a great solo in Childhood's End! Looked like an Albert Lee sig gtr with P90's?

And thx for posting here, I would have missed the show otherwise. I assumed I'd already missed it, then saw the "leaving Heathrow today" note, and realized you guys hadn't even flown over yet! Whew.

Gary Kemp did an awesome job too.

Cheers

Caught the show in Toronto: great!!

They breathe some fresh life into those original Syd era songs. Vegetable man was hilarious. Nice to see the guys having fun on stage, and Nick behind the kit.

Lee that was a great solo in Childhood's End! Looked like an Albert Lee sig gtr with P90's?

And thx for posting here, I would have missed the show otherwise. I assumed I'd already missed it, then saw the "leaving Heathrow today" note, and realized you guys hadn't even flown over yet! Whew.

Gary Kemp did an awesome job too.

Cheers
Thank you. Yes you are absolutely correct about the guitar. It has some history in that its last owner was Walter Becker. Sterling Ball (Ernie’s son) gave it to him as a gift and he played it at a couple of shows in California before moving on to something else! Walter certainly had GAS.

Hey Lee - Nice to see you posting again. Caught the show in Denver and loved it. Question about that show. Someone in the front row seemed to be bothering Guy, as he kept telling someone to "shut up." I thought he mentioned his son was in the audience. Any clue of what that was about?

You guys are awesome! Thanks again for the idea to form this band!

Hey Lee - Nice to see you posting again. Caught the show in Denver and loved it. Question about that show. Someone in the front row seemed to be bothering Guy, as he kept telling someone to "shut up." I thought he mentioned his son was in the audience. Any clue of what that was about?

You guys are awesome! Thanks again for the idea to form this band!
Hi there, thank YOU. You are most welcome. I remember the Denver show because funnily enough I had friends in the front row. Guy’s son was definitely not there. I don’t specifically remember Guy telling anyone to shut up though. Sometimes we do if they are annoying other audience members. But no… sorry I can’t be of more help!
As an aside I was saddened and surprised at the area around that theatre in Denver. Alot of people who are mentally ill and others on what can only be a really nasty drug roaming around since last time we were there. It was like that in quite a few places on this tour. An eye opener for sure.

Hi there, thank YOU. You are most welcome. I remember the Denver show because funnily enough I had friends in the front row. Guy’s son was definitely not there. I don’t specifically remember Guy telling anyone to shut up though. Sometimes we do if they are annoying other audience members. But no… sorry I can’t be of more help!
As an aside I was saddened and surprised at the area around that theatre in Denver. Alot of people who are mentally ill and others on what can only be a really nasty drug roaming around since last time we were there. It was like that in quite a few places on this tour. An eye opener for sure.
Thanks for the response. Yeah, Denver has gotten worse with homelessness - not as bad as LA yet, perhaps our cold climate will prevent that - but not as fun to go downtown as it used to be.

Another thing about the Denver show - the Ticketmaster app had some glitch that caused many patrons - myself included - to show no ticket for the event, even though I had shown one the day before. Fortunately for me, I checked before leaving home, and promptly printed out paper documentation of my purchase. I then went quite early to the venue, where the box office woman was very friendly and took care of me. But this caused me to be late to a dinner meeting. You can guess what I was told when I contacted Ticketmaster and asked for a refund of my "convenience fee" after having been inconvenienced!

There were MANY others who were not so lucky, who were delayed getting into the show while things were sorted out. This was obviously not the fault of the band or venue, and Ticketmaster took no responsibility whatsoever. Anyone want to join a class action lawsuit?

All that said, thanks again for a great show!

Thanks for the response. Yeah, Denver has gotten worse with homelessness - not as bad as LA yet, perhaps our cold climate will prevent that - but not as fun to go downtown as it used to be.

Another thing about the Denver show - the Ticketmaster app had some glitch that caused many patrons - myself included - to show no ticket for the event, even though I had shown one the day before. Fortunately for me, I checked before leaving home, and promptly printed out paper documentation of my purchase. I then went quite early to the venue, where the box office woman was very friendly and took care of me. But this caused me to be late to a dinner meeting. You can guess what I was told when I contacted Ticketmaster and asked for a refund of my "convenience fee" after having been inconvenienced!

There were MANY others who were not so lucky, who were delayed getting into the show while things were sorted out. This was obviously not the fault of the band or venue, and Ticketmaster took no responsibility whatsoever. Anyone want to join a class action lawsuit?

All that said, thanks again for a great show!
I’m sorry to hear about the woes with Ticketmaster.
Still… could be worse.
We could have been Taylor Swift and you wouldn’t have got the tickets in the first place…

I’m sorry to hear about the woes with Ticketmaster.
Still… could be worse.
We could have been Taylor Swift and you wouldn’t have got the tickets in the first place…

Or you could have been Bruce Springsteen and I would have had to have taken out a second mortgage on my home to afford the tickets! Very grateful to you guys for keeping the ticket prices affordable.

Thank you again for putting this project together. I saw you guys four times over the course of the two American tours and all the shows were absolutely amazing. It was such a treat to hear these songs performed by world class musicians who were clearly having a great time doing them. I hope the Saucers will fly again in the not too distant future!

Early warning: Gary Kemp will be the guest on the next episode of the excellent Rock's Backpages Podcast in about two weeks.

Current guest is the notorious Pamela Des Barres, with her memories of the late 60s Sunset Strip scene, including recording the GTOs album for Frank Zappa, with the entire Jeff Beck Group coming to the studio to help out for a day.

https://www.rocksbackpages.com/Podcast

Gary Kemp interview is up.

https://www.rocksbackpages.com/Podcast/Episode/e145

1675109279626.png

In this episode we welcome the excellent Gary Kemp to RBP's Hammersmith HQ and invite him to talk about Spandau Ballet, the New Romantics and Pink Floyd.
After describing the pop baptism that was watching David Bowie sing 'Starman' on Top of the Pops, Gary recalls seeing the Sex Pistols at the Screen on the Green; the Bowie nights at Billy's; Steve Strange and the Blitz kids; and the formation of the band that became Spandau Ballet. With special reference to Betty Page's Soundspieces on Spandau, we discuss the New Romantics and their complex relationship with the music press.
From Spandau to Floyd is not a segue anyone would have made back in 1979, but Gary explains how he saw the half-century-old Dark Side of the Moon played live at Wembley's Empire Pool in 1974 and how he later joined forces with Floyd drummer Nick Mason in Saucerful of Secrets. In the course of a conversation aboutDark Side, we hear clips from Jim Sullivan's 1997 phone interview with the late Rick Wright, who reflects on the state of Syd Barrett and his own (temporary) firing from Floyd.
With a nod to Rockonteurs — Gary's own great podcast with Saucerful of Secrets bassist Guy Pratt — we pay tribute to the late David Crosby, who was the duo's guest in early 2020. Mark then talks us out with quotes from pieces about the Beatles (1966), the New York Dolls (1973) and Joni Mitchell at the Troubadour (1968 and 1973), after which Jasper concludes the episode with quotes from reviews of Björk's Homogenic (1997) and a Manchester "Gods of Rap" show starring Wu Tang Clan, De La Soul and Public Enemy...
Many thanks to special guest Gary Kemp. Visit his website at garykemp.com and find the Rockonteurs at rockonteurs.com.
Pieces discussed:

A Manifesto for the Eighties, Spandau Ballet, the New Romantics, Rick Wright audio, Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon, Nick Mason, The Byrds' David Crosby, A Hippy out of Hell, A Long Strange Trip, The New York Dolls, The Beatles, Joni Mitchell at the Troubadour in 1968 and then in 1973, Björk and Gods of Rap.

Antipodean dates announced for September.

Do you come from a land down under?
Shame I'll miss this as I'll be living in Canada by then. Still, I'll have more chance of catching bands/artists that I like over there than here in Oz (e.g. seeing Neil Young, Van Morrison, and a surprise blast from the past, Melanie, in previous short visits).

Shame I'll miss this as I'll be living in Canada by then. Still, I'll have more chance of catching bands/artists that I like over there than here in Oz (e.g. seeing Neil Young, Van Morrison, and a surprise blast from the past, Melanie, in previous short visits).
Does Melanie have a brand new pair of roller skates? Blast from the past indeed!

Back