HiRez Poll Nickel Creek - NICKEL CREEK [SACD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the SACD of Nickel Creek - NICKEL CREEK

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Mix, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HiRez Surround Disc! (y) :phones (n)

It's that progressive newgrass type of bluegrass that delves somewhat into a pop realm, though not quite as experimental as their later album entitled "This Side". If I recall correctly, the self-titled Nickel Creek album has Alison Kraus as the producer.

Recording quality is good and Gary Paczosa's surround mix is top notch. (Paczosa also did Alison Krauss' "New Favorite" and "Live" SACD surround mixes, for comparison.) Anyway... I highly recommend both the music and the SACD from Nickel Creek.

FWIW... I give the S/T "Nickel Creek" a 10. Though I actually prefer their second album "This Side" (also on SACD) even slightly more.

Excellent music but the surround mix is another "why did they even bother?" 9 points as a stereo release, 6 points as a surround release.

I can sorta see where you're coming from, Cai. I should've stated that it is a somewhat natural-sounding surround mix. However, I still feel it is quite enveloping; and I guess I just dig the way it sounds.

Great album and a great hi-rez surround mix as well. This is one of my system showoff discs to all of my acoustic musician friends. They all have marveled at the transparency, natural ambience and soundfield of this disc (to say nothing of the great production and musicianship already there on the redbook disc). Really shows the promise of things that might come in the future...a "10" in my book.

I have both SACD's and their newest release not available on SACD, so I am a fan. I love these two SACD's and consider them some of my favorites. If you havent had a chance to hear these two SACD's they are phenominal, and please don't let the term bluegrass fool you, they do not have that typical twnagy sound that a lot of bluegrass has. The sound is crisp and clear and in that regard probably rivals anything in my catelogue.

This grabbed my attention on CD. Sounded excellent. Music tight and 'bluegrass'. Lyrics excellent and thought provoking where required. Found it was available on SACD. Grabbed it straight away. A gorgeously subtle surround mix, defo. not a ping pong. On top of this, the harmonies sound crystal clear and cleaner than I've ever heard on anything. Ever. I was playing this over the PC speakers and both my wife and son said 'Play it over the HiFi, so out came the SACD and OMG it's just gorgeous.

Well.....I know I'm sort of late to party on this one! Actually, I think everyones left!
So even though this isn't quite a 'dead' thread (maybe just on life support being some 7 years between postings) it's new to me.
I give this a '10' (10's I reserve for only the finest!)...Outstanding overall!!
Great sort of a folk-bluegrass music, hard to define the genre here. Though, not the most aggressive surround mix, the content/fidelity more than makes up for that. Not a bad song on this.
This was the 1st ever SACD I got...actually, I checked it out from the library back in '14-'15 looking for any sacd/multichannel they had. I sort of didn't know what to make of it back then...being such a mix of genres. After a few listens, I really came to love this. It became a very difficult disc to acquire since sellers wanted a kings ransom for it. But after a year, I eventually secured a copy.
Nickel Creek has pretty much changed their styles on every preceding release. Much different nowadays than this one. For me, this is the crown jewel. Thank you Nickel Creek for making & releasing this one on SACD multichannel.

Back