Niek from Holland

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Niek

Hello all.

I'm Niek, born in 1959 and "a Dutchman" all my life.

Ever since I discovered my older cousin's Beatles collection as a 12-year-old boy, I've been captivated by what music can do to you. There followed an ongoing journey of discovery that has brought me a very versatile taste. The hard core consists of (prog) rock oriented music. Thanks to children and grandchildren I stay informed about what fascinates young people. I'll definitely pick things up there too.

When I browse through my collection, music by Jethro Tull in particular slips through my fingers. I have almost all of that. In addition, a lot of mandatory fare for my age and interest such as Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis, Marillion, Stones, U2, Simple Minds, Kraftwerk, Porcupine Tree etc.

I've never been that into surround 5.1. Just old-fashioned a chair in front of a stereo, a beer and enjoy the idea that the musicians are there playing for you.

The special editions of the Jethro Tull collection (obligatory purchase as a fan) nevertheless sparked my interest. Some adjustments in “mijn kotje” (dutch for “mancave”) and hoppa, there you go.

I'm all over. The penny has dropped. Still a lot to discover (again) and therefore very happy with this forum.

(I must confess that I am not very good at English and that this is translated by Google. Hopefully not too many stupidities).

Niek

Welcome to the multichannel club; we are few members from Europe but anyway present. Are you enjoying multichannel 4.0, 5.1, 7.1 or modern Atmos format?

Intresting that on your band list you don't mention Dutch band, such as Focus - which had two quadraphonic releases in the past - or Ekseption, which are prog-related band.

I must confess that I am not very good at English...

Welcome to the forum Niek! I'm always happy when we get new members, but especially those from the Netherlands as I lived there for awhile. It's the place where I learned the definition of a good beer...and that European LPs sounded markedly better than those pressed in the US. Arguably, those were the most fun years of my life. Also, I laugh when any Nederlander says that their English isn't very good as most seemed quite competent at speaking what is not your native tongue.

Intresting that on your band list you don't mention Dutch band, such as Focus - which had two quadraphonic releases in the past - or Ekseption, which are prog-related band.
[/QUOTE]

Glad you responded. Of course I know (and appreciate) Focus. The danger of a summary is that you forget things. As said I have quite a versatile taste and here in the Netherlands there are more admirable bands. You will probably (- again at the risk of forgetting someone- ) have heard of Alquin, The Golden Earring,. Kayak or Arjen Lucassen.

I didn't know there were quadraphonic releases from Focus. Yet again something picked up here and something to look for. Thanks for that

Welcome to the forum Niek! I'm always happy when we get new members, but especially those from the Netherlands as I lived there for awhile. It's the place where I learned the definition of a good beer...and that European LPs sounded markedly better than those pressed in the US. Arguably, those were the most fun years of my life. Also, I laugh when any Nederlander says that their English isn't very good as most seemed quite competent at speaking what is not your native tongue.
Appreciating beer probably doesn't belong on this forum, but I live on the Belgian border and have especially learned to appreciate Belgian beer. It can just happen that after a Belgian beer, the surround sound becomes just a little more beautiful. Is that a tip that fits this forum?

Glad you responded. Of course I know (and appreciate) Focus. The danger of a summary is that you forget things. As said I have quite a versatile taste and here in the Netherlands there are more admirable bands. You will probably (- again at the risk of forgetting someone- ) have heard of Alquin, The Golden Earring,. Kayak or Arjen Lucassen.

I didn't know there were quadraphonic releases from Focus. Yet again something picked up here and something to look for. Thanks for that

G.E. and Kayak yes, not for the others. Something to discover....

Focus quads were released only in USA and only on quad 8 track tape, Moving Waves and Live At The Rainbow. Thijs Van Leer also had two quads, Introspection (SQ LP and Quad 8 track) and Introspection 2 (SQ LP only).

During my time in Holland, the band Gruppo Sportivo was very popular. They are a pop unit as opposed to prog, but I liked much of the stuff that I heard. I bought their Ten Mistakes album. I was probably intrigued by the comical/risque album cover as much as the music. Sadly, the band has no quad releases that I know of.

Welcome to the forum, Niek. I was born the same year as you, so we are both getting old, no? I saw Focus back in the Seventies. I think they opened for REO Speedwagon and Joe Walsh. Great concert. I am also a huge fan of Belgian beer. A quadrupel goes well with quad music . . .🍻

During my time in Holland, the band Gruppo Sportivo was very popular. They are a pop unit as opposed to prog, but I liked much of the stuff that I heard. I bought their Ten Mistakes album. I was probably intrigued by the comical/risque album cover as much as the music. Sadly, the band has no quad releases that I know of.

Gruppo Sportivo was indeed very popular here for a period. I was a fan and saw them live. I still listen to the album "10 Mistakes". It still makes me happy.

Back