DIGITAL Nightwish Storytime Blu Ray: same authoring error as Opeth(on 5.1 track)?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keenly

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I am sure there is an authoring error on surround track, maybe the same issue as Opeth's. The stereo track has a nice thick bass, clear and fluid, whilst the 5.1 is almost totally devoid of bottom end.

Can somebody who has this take a listen and comment, cheers.

You might be right about that. I always thought the mix sounds pretty weak and kind of hollow, which could be caused by some phase issues. I actually never checked out the stereo track to compare. Maybe I should?

You might be right about that. I always thought the mix sounds pretty weak and kind of hollow, which could be caused by some phase issues. I actually never checked out the stereo track to compare. Maybe I should?

Yes please do; 5.1 is faulty.

After checking the stereo track and comparing it to the 5.1, I definitely agree with your observation. The 5.1 is indeed faulty and not nearly as clear and full sounding as the stereo mix. Listening to the front speakers alone revealed some weird phase issues going on at the fronts, but inverting the phase of only one speaker didn't solve the issue. It might be that one channel is slightly delayed to the other, resulting in some weird sounding haas effect, something you can't resolve by inverting the phase by 180°.

This might be intentional to widen the stereo front for the 5.1 only to make the sound appear more three-dimensional to the listener. But I guess it's just another faulty disc with an authoring error. A real bummer since the set was quite expensive when I got it. I will write Nuclear Blast about it. I hope others will do the same.

After checking the stereo track and comparing it to the 5.1, I definitely agree with your observation. The 5.1 is indeed faulty and not nearly as clear and full sounding as the stereo mix. Listening to the front speakers alone revealed some weird phase issues going on at the fronts, but inverting the phase of only one speaker didn't solve the issue. It might be that one channel is slightly delayed to the other, resulting in some weird sounding haas effect, something you can't resolve by inverting the phase by 180°.

This might be intentional to widen the stereo front for the 5.1 only to make the sound appear more three-dimensional to the listener. But I guess it's just another faulty disc with an authoring error. A real bummer since the set was quite expensive when I got it. I will write Nuclear Blast about it. I hope others will do the same.

Yes tell Nuclear Blast. There is a definite error. I actually emailed them 2 weeks ago to ask that more of their Blu Rays actually be mixed in 5.1 as most are only 2.0.

I suspect the Nightwish fans who bought this do not even know the problem, but if pointed out and did an A/B comparison could plainly hear it.

Back