Quad LP/Tape Poll Nilsson, Harry: Duit On Mon Dei [CD-4/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the CD-4/Q8 of Harry Nilsson - Duit On Mon Dei

• 10 - Great Surround, Great Fidelity, Great Content

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 -

• 7 -

• 5 -

• 4 -

• 3 -

• 2 -

• 1 - Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters

sjcorne

Staff member
Duit On Mon Dei was Harry Nilsson's eleventh studio album and third quad release, issued on CD-4 LP and quad 8-track by RCA in 1975. Self-produced by Nilsson, the album features contributions from other well-known musicians such as Ringo Starr, Klaus Voormann, and Dr. John.

Nilsson CD4.jpeg
Nilsson Q8.jpeg

RCA APD1-0817 [CD-4 LP] APT1-0817 [Q8]
Discogs links: Q8 / LP
Wiki for the album: Duit On Mon Dei

Side 1
  1. Jesus Christ You're Tall
  2. It's A Jungle Out There
  3. Down By The Sea
  4. Kojak Columbo
  5. Easier For Me
  6. Turn Out The Light
Side 2
  1. Salmon Falls
  2. Pudget Sound
  3. What's You Sign
  4. Home
  5. Good For God

Let Dutton Duit! (Pleez...)

With a few edits, I could repeat my review of Sandman here; the two albums could almost be from the same sessions. They're not, but they're definitely cut from the same cloth, and they feature the same cast of cats and a similar mix of moods and tunes and arrangements.

Sound is muddy on the CD-4 conversion that I have, although the Sony 360 version cleans things up enough to bring out some subtleties in Van Dyke Parks's arrangements and Robert Greenidge's solos that I hadn't heard before. As with Sandman: just a serviceable mix. It's the songs that sell this album, from the hilariously goofy demo of "Jesus Christ You're Tall" to the silly "Kojak Columbo" to the Newmanesque "Easier For Me" and "Good For God." And then there are the minor Harry-Caribbean classics "Down By The Sea" and "Puget Sound." Sonics: 7.5, Mix: 8, Music: 8.5. I call that an 8.

https://www.harrynilsson.com/music/duit-on-mon-dei/

Not fond of albums after Touch of Schmilsson.

Serviceable is a good description of the mix. Discrete, but perhaps unimaginative.

Bought this first on CD-4, then on CD and in 15 CD RCA Collection. I'm a completist. Music is OK. He did much, much better stuff.

Back