Nilsson: The Point 50th Year Anniversary 5.1 BluRay!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually, Nilsson had several Quads I wouldn’t mind having released; including one with John Lennon. Not sure about the mixes though :unsure:

There are strong opinions about the quality/merit of the mixes--even of Schmilsson. (I'm sure a sleuth like @sjcorne can find the relevant threads.) But those four Nilsson quads--Schmilsson, Pussy Cats, Duit on Mon Dei, Sandman--would make an excellent Quadio set. Failing that: a pair of Dutton 2-fers!

Last edited:
There are strong opinions about the quality/merit of the mixes--even of Schmilsson. (I'm sure a sleuth like @sjcorne can find the relevant threads.) But those four Nilsson quads (Schmilsson, Pussy Cats, Duit on Mon Dei, Sandman) would make an excellent Quadio set. Failing that: a pair of Dutton 2-fers!
Yeah, I’m hoping D-V for sure; and Schmilsson always sounded too wet to me; seems I say that about quite a few of the old Quads.

Wish we could get the Dustin version.

That would be the Ultimate Point. Selectable from the BluRay menu, Dustin (ABC 1971 Feb Broadcast Version), or Ringo (Home Video Version). For those fans who wanted it, I suppose you could also include the Alan Thicke version as a selection as well.

I remember as a freshman in college watching this special (remember, there were basically only 3 channels to chose from back then) and those of us in the dorm that watched it were all impressed by the animation and the music. I went out and got the RCA LP within the week. "Think About Your Troubles" - amazing tune.

Last edited:
As for Schmilsson, Marshall wanted to do it for AF, but because MFSL put it out in stereo a short time before, he was precluded from doing it. He did get a track for "The Collection", but it would have been nice to get the whole album on SACD in surround.

A good choice for D-V, I agree

Amazon has this as a preorder for $19.99. Does anyone have it for less? Not that I mind paying $19.99 - I'm just curious.

I appreciate the honesty in the description on Amazon:

"Due to the unknown whereabouts of some of the negative elements, the point was scanned in 2k from a 16mm release print. While performing shot-by-shot color-grading to reduce fade and improve consistency, it became apparent that the condition of the elements made a complete restoration unfeasible. As such, while thousands of individual pieces of image damage were removed entirely, some slight imperfections appear intermittently in the film."

Amazon has this as a preorder for $19.99. Does anyone have it for less? Not that I mind paying $19.99 - I'm just curious.

I appreciate the honesty in the description on Amazon:

"Due to the unknown whereabouts of some of the negative elements, the point was scanned in 2k from a 16mm release print. While performing shot-by-shot color-grading to reduce fade and improve consistency, it became apparent that the condition of the elements made a complete restoration unfeasible. As such, while thousands of individual pieces of image damage were removed entirely, some slight imperfections appear intermittently in the film."

Deep Discount has it at $17.99 for the moment. And if your total order exceeds $25, shipping is free.

If DV did a two-fer with Schmilsson and Son of Schmilsson, with only the first one in quad - it could be SACD of the year for me.

I try and not get carried away with quadraphonic fantasies lately. DCC did do The Point on Gold CD btw.

Back