BluRay Music Video Poll Nine Inch Nails - LIVE: BESIDE YOU IN TIME [Blu-Ray & HD-DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD disc of Nine Inch Nails - LIVE: BESIDE YOU IN TIME

• 7:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 6:

• 5:

• 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Surround Mix, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this HD title. If you feel so inclined, include info on the type of equipment you are using for playback and your setup.

When voting, please remember that we're mostly interested in the quality of the sound and the surround mix as opposed to the video presentation, although in the case of these discs that would also be a consideration when contemplating a disc purchase.

Also, state what format you are rating, the HD-DVD or the Blu-Ray disc.

Attachments

• nin1.jpg
    nin1.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 821
(This relates to the HD DVD version but both version are identical)
This is hands down the best music video release I've ever seen/heard in terms of video and audio quality.

The clarity of the whole mix is superb. The Dolby True HD track brings out all of the subtleties which are not present in the standard Dolbu audio track. It also makes the whole thing sound that much more real and pleasing.

The video quality is jaw dropping as well, almost making it seem like you are looking through a window. The image has a true 3D quality about it.

If this is the future of music video releases, then I can't wait to see what else is in store for us.
If you are a NIN fan, you love high quality audio/video and you don't have this then trust me, you don't know what you are missing.

I would have to say that this is a reference disc for both visual and live surround presentation - and I am not even a fan. I have the HD DVD title - picked it up at Virgin Times Square for 50% off ($12.49). The Dolby True HD mix is superb and use of the rears is discrete and well executed. You can also access the menu while the concert is playing - a feature specific to HD DVD that is sorely missed on most of the HD music titles made available to date. A solid 10

To do an A/B comparison, I also picked up the Eagle Rock Deep Purple Live at Montreux 2006 - mainly because it was on sale ($12.49) but also because I'm a big Steve Morse fan. Sadly to say, this is typical of the other Eagle HD titles. As standard DVD releases (which they were all originally) they stand up well - but as HD - they offer no real upgrade. The video is well shot (in HD)and the audio is standard live fare - audience and reverb/ambience in the rear - it's a fun video if you're a fan - they play all the hits but as HD there's no real benefit.

I think of all the BD concert titles I have this one has the best audio quality so far. Not a big NIN fan so I am just getting into the music itself. The video quality may be a liitle less than the Elton John BD but it is pretty close. The access of the menu while the disc is playing is very handy and obviously available on BD as well as the HD version as mentioned by someone else earlier in the thread. Gave it a 10.

As a fair weather NIN fan I loved this disc, it is shot with high def in mind, really feel I was there.

I'm still trying to get into the NIN groove, but I think I might pick this one up on the weekend.

This one a just an amiazong concert, with great fidelity, and the video is also amazing, I like NIN a lot, but they are far from being my favourite band, but this is the best concert in blu-ray or dvd that I own by far far far...

Good lord! :yikes This has probably the most discrete surround mix of any live concert I've ever heard. Plus it's just huge with deep bass, clear mids, and crystal clear highs without sounding harsh. It seems to have great fidelity and surprisingly awesome dynamics for this kind of heavy industrial rock too.

A very solid 10.

I've always liked this BD so I wiki'ed it and low and behold, it was mixed by Elliot Scheiner.

I didn't know that but I should have. From now on every disc I hear that is exceptional I'm just gonna assume Elliot mixed it. :)

All three formats have Dolby Digital soundtracks for the main feature, in both stereo (mixed by Dave Ogilvie) and 5.1 surround sound (mixed by Elliot Scheiner); in addition, they include higher-resolution versions of the surround audio mix: either DTS on the DVD, or Dolby TrueHD on the Blu-ray and HD DVD.

I've always liked this BD so I wiki'ed it and low and behold, it was mixed by Elliot Scheiner.

I didn't know that but I should have. From now on every disc I hear that is exceptional I'm just gonna assume Elliot mixed it. :)
I didn't know that either. Thanks for pointing that out. No wonder it's so awesome!

This is a live concert reference disc for sure. Their performance on Austin City Limits a year or so ago, although not as discrete in the surround department, is a nice compliment to this recording. Much more intimate. This disc, both the bluray and hd-dvd, is a 10.

The technical merits of this disc are awesome, but this was probably my least favorite incarnation of the band. The '94, '00, '09 and '14 incarnations definitely seemed much more NIN to me.

I will usually put on the 4:3 DVD (dts version as he released separate DD and dts versions of this DVD) of "...and all that could have been" more more regularly than the BYIT Blu-ray. The video sequences during La Mer > The Great Below > The Mark Has Been Made are awesome and the amazing performance of "Just Like You Imagined" towards the end of the show, so good. I know TR has commented he doesn't find this era to be very NIN-like as he was f'd up most of the time, but I think it's great.

Really hope we get the rumored 4-show Blu-ray release soon, supposed to be the originally planned Tension 2013 tour (basically Hesitation Marks tour) plus three other shows including shows from the Soundgarden/NIN tour in 2014 which were absolutely stunning and probably my fave performance ever having seen them 10 times since August '94.

Really hope we get the rumored 4-show Blu-ray release soon, supposed to be the originally planned Tension 2013 tour (basically Hesitation Marks tour) plus three other shows including shows from the Soundgarden/NIN tour in 2014 which were absolutely stunning and probably my fave performance ever having seen them 10 times since August '94.

I really hope that gets released, I must've watched 'Tension' on Youtube a thousand times and it is an amazing work that deserves a hi-res release.

The "Only" video is cool on this too! Full surround in DTS-MA, although 4x3 video.

I will usually put on the 4:3 DVD (dts version as he released separate DD and dts versions of this DVD) of "...and all that could have been" more more regularly than the BYIT Blu-ray. The video sequences during La Mer > The Great Below > The Mark Has Been Made are awesome and the amazing performance of "Just Like You Imagined" towards the end of the show, so good. I know TR has commented he doesn't find this era to be very NIN-like as he was f'd up most of the time, but I think it's great.
I totally agree with you......AATCHB.....is Trent at his best!!!! He's way more connected with his angst before he got more healthy and cleaned up his act.....which for that I applaud him!!! But technically speaking this is the reference disc of all Live concert BR/DVD discs.....get it for just the video/audio quality!!! Sadly the performance doesn't match ATTCHB....but we also know why

Back