NIRVANA - NEVERMIND 30th Anniversary Editions coming in MovemberšŸ˜Š

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering about that too. Maybe it that new metric calendar they've been talking about.... Meptember, Moctober, Movember, etc,,,,
LMAO
Oh really come on nowā€¦..MOVEMBER? Itā€™s November but with a slant towards BEARDS & MOUSTASHESā€¦.Iā€™m sure youā€™ve seen it before

I can't imagine a surround sound treatment would do much to this IF they were to do it. They're a trio without the complexity or the layers of a band like Rush. Backing vocals would go in the rear and what else? Maybe some doubled guitar tracks? I just don't think it would do much to the listening experience.

And that's fine with me. I still remember very fondly where I was when I first heard this album and how I thought, "Wow! Who is this?!"

I can't imagine a surround sound treatment would do much to this IF they were to do it. They're a trio without the complexity or the layers of a band like Rush. Backing vocals would go in the rear and what else? Maybe some doubled guitar tracks? I just don't think it would do much to the listening experience.

And that's fine with me. I still remember very fondly where I was when I first heard this album and how I thought, "Wow! Who is this?!"

Drums alone are usually multi-tracked, as you say there are multiple guitar tracks and backing vocals, there's so much that can be done. Steven Wilson did a marvelous job with Misplaced Childhood which is much more barebones than Nevermind. And anyway, for fidelity alone I'd take three channels over stereo any day. Of course I'll happily listen to a remastered version of this magnificent album, but it's still a shame we won't be getting a multi-channel mix.

Drums alone are usually multi-tracked, as you say there are multiple guitar tracks and backing vocals, there's so much that can be done. Steven Wilson did a marvelous job with Misplaced Childhood which is much more barebones than Nevermind. And anyway, for fidelity alone I'd take three channels over stereo any day. Of course I'll happily listen to a remastered version of this magnificent album, but it's still a shame we won't be getting a multi-channel mix.

All true. I do think, however, that the thing that stood out about Nevermind then (and even now) is that monolithic Butch Vig sound. I mean, it sounded so enormous at the time. I wonder if it would retain that quality if spread out over 5 speakers.

All true. I do think, however, that the thing that stood out about Nevermind then (and even now) is that monolithic Butch Vig sound. I mean, it sounded so enormous at the time. I wonder if it would retain that quality if spread out over 5 speakers.

Many people had a bad reaction to Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs when it came out for a similar reason. And then when they made sure not to repeat it with the White Album others had a bad reaction because the sound wasn't "clean" enough (I'm very happy with what they did with the White Album, but I'm also totally fine with Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs). So it's a double edged sword. But we've seen if you want to retain the original sound and feel of the album it's possible to do (when the people at the helm are sensitive to it and understand it as we do).

The multitracks are the recordings of all of the individual parts.

Note that if 4-track or 8-track multitracks are used, there can be more than one part on a track.

The masters are the finished mixdowns of the multitracks. All of the parts are mixed together including their pan positions.

In fact, the ONLY real differences between a 2-track master and a 4-track master are the number of tracks and the pannings of the parts among the tracks.

Since I use QS, I make a 2-track master, doing the encoding right on the mixer.

It is possible to diddle with the master to make a matrix surround mix. I have done that a few times.

And unless the multitracks were made with a quad mix in mind, the necessary elements for a good quad mix might not be present.

When did we get a new month?

If there was a fire and the records were incomplete, how could they know what items were destroyed?
I realize youā€™re trying to simply things, but final (regardless of format) master tapes and multitracks are entirely different animals. Practically the only similarity is they are tape - and even then, since the early 60ā€™s, mostly different size tape. They serve entirely purposes.

And to say unless the mulritracks were made with quad in mind, the necessary elements to make a good quad mix may not be there isnā€™t really correct. I would say very few recordings have ever been made with quad or 5.1 in mind but plenty have turned out great. If the elements arenā€™t there, itā€™s mostly because they simply arenā€™t there - or in the case of 3,4 and 8 track recordings, the lack of available tracks were more of a rate limiting factor mentally and practically. Yes, you could bounce and bounce like the Beatles did in the later stages but not everybody had that kind of time and budget.

Last edited:
Oh really come on nowā€¦..MOVEMBER? Itā€™s November but with a slant towards BEARDS & MOUSTASHESā€¦.Iā€™m sure youā€™ve seen it before
Personally, Iā€™m facial hair challenged. When he was producing, recording and doing sound engineering for ā€œStage Fright,ā€ Todd Rundgren said that he couldnā€™t join The Band because he ā€œcanā€™t grow a beard.ā€

Personally, Iā€™m facial hair challenged. When he was producing, recording and doing sound engineering for ā€œStage Fright,ā€ Todd Rundgren said that he couldnā€™t join The Band because he ā€œcanā€™t grow a beard.ā€
I have trouble with that as well

I remember back in the day they tried to copyright the word Nevermind. Probably the record company, I suppose .

Back