No eBay, but Craigslist. A BRAND NEW Shure M24h CD-4 cartridge!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How long do phono cartridges last I wonder? Don't they have bits of rubber and the like in the suspension? I would fear that these components would harden and go brittle as the decades pass.

How long do phono cartridges last I wonder? Don't they have bits of rubber and the like in the suspension? I would fear that these components would harden and go brittle as the decades pass.
With MM carts the suspension is part of the stylus assembly. They do go bad. I had two backup 78 styli for Shure M44 cartridge, 10 years after I bought them, I went to use them for the first time. One stiffened up and wouldn't track, they other one apparently turned to goo and bottomed out. At the time, Shure was amazingly helpful and replaced both at about half the normal cost. The cartridge itself is just coils in a case and should stay good.

The listing expired. I hope someone who can use it got it.

If the listing expired, that doesn't necessarily mean somebody bought it, does it?

Anyway, a cartridge body will last indefinitely unless it is kept in a pretty corrosive environment.

Doug

Back