No "longer see you in the skies"

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Retired at last. More time to listen to my ever increasing surround sound music.
I retired six months ago, my surround collection has doubled in size and I still don’t have enough lol
I’ve also rediscovered my love of cooking, when I was working I came in from work, flopped on the couch and couldn’t be bothered, my better half is loving it, she retired at the same time and is more able to help her very ageing parents (94 and 84), we can go for trips away and holidays without asking for time off, fly Tuesdays and Thursdays because it’s much cheaper than weekends…if it’s not obvious i’m loving it and hopefully so will you

Congrats and enjoy.
I always thought time would slow down with respect to having more time than things to do, but it doesn't work that way. The days still fly by and I still don't have time to do half the things I'd like to. I will say that part of that is because I don't rush to get things done anymore. If I have to cut the lawn it might take half a day. Before I retired, I would bust my ass to get it done in 2 hours.
I'd say that time goes by faster since I retired. And I too don't have the time to do everything I want, and I come up with all sorts of new ideas and schemes every week. (Spending too much time on this board is one of the culprits. But our QQ mob is a lot of fun to communicate with. :SG)

I always thought time would slow down with respect to having more time than things to do, but it doesn't work that way. The days still fly by and I still don't have time to do half the things I'd like to. I will say that part of that is because I don't rush to get things done anymore.
In my seventh year and this has been my exact experience as well.

I dream I keep going back to work and doing my old job, no pay.

I have a variation of that dream also: That I've never actually left my job although I've retired and I'm still working for no pay. ...

What a wonderful surprise. I'm having that kind of dream also.

I left the company (early retirement agreement) seven years ago. And I still have sometimes a dream where I am still at work, but without the badge credentials, and with the risk of doing something illegal as I would not be allowed to be there. But I'm there just to help my colleages of previous/older projects. Of course with no pay. And when the things go difficult I just said to my colleages and to my boss: "You know? Since seven years (it seems I exactly know in my dream the date when I left the company and went home) I was "fired" by the company but still here to help. BUT Tomorrow I will not come to work. I will not come to work anymore. You have to solve that alone.

... And I wait for them to be scared, worried or impressed but in the dream they do not care at all what I'm saying and then I wake up.

I have this dream still from time to time.

I officially retired on March 31st 2012!! Age 57
(Some might say it was years before that!! :D )

Best decision I ever made.

Although like others have said, I'm busier now than I've ever been.
But in a good way...Doing what I enjoy, helping folk and family where I can.

The joy of looking after our 1yr old grandson 'George', is just total pleasure.
Full on but so rewarding.

I even try to fit in this pastime, where I can. :)

I'm 58 and agree it was a good decision for me. More time with my wife and daughter, my old dad and the cat. I'm lucky though, worked two separate jobs over the years that both have pensions.

I'm 58 and agree it was a good decision for me. More time with my wife and daughter, my old dad and the cat. I'm lucky though, worked two separate jobs over the years that both have pensions.
same high school class as yours...the thing is, FOR ME, I don't think I will ever retire from Music related stuff which is what I have decided to dedicate myself to...musicians never retire...

same high school class as yours...the thing is, FOR ME, I don't think I will ever retire from Music related stuff which is what I have decided to dedicate myself to...musicians never retire...
Hey Kap'n, not to worry. I never worked in a music related job, I only sequenced genes. There are a couple of guitars around the house though.

Here in Norway the regular age for retirement is 67, with some variations. :cool: I was working as a power line builder and because it's a tough and demanding job it has a lower retirement age, so I was able to retire at 62 with a good pension. That was about time as my body was really hurting for the last years at work, an still is, but now it's easier to manage. :)

I have been retired since I was 56, almost 14 years ago. Hard to believe. I have held pretty much every position in an IT environment from Project Manager, Systems Analyst, Business Analyst, Programming Development Manager, Programmer, Computer Operator etc etc. And I started out with an Accounting Degree which was exceptionally boring, hence my switch to IT which was never boring. The main thing is to have many interests when retired and keep laughing.

OK, now my story.

I would have been able to official retirement at 65 (many years contributed to social security), although the retirement in Spain has delayed to 67.

But I give up working (IT, Project Management, Consultancy, Servers Outsourcing) thanks to a company agreement with economic compensationn, at age 57.

I then had the anticipated retirement pension at age 63. Reduced, but enough money. I'm now 64.

I think that I'm here at this QQ forum thanks to all that. When I remember the past days with the impossible deadlines of the projects, I think I was in in a parallel universe :rolleyes:

Extending an off-topic conversation - I spent most of my career as an electronics engineer, starting out as a technician and getting my BSEE in night school, with a stint as a patent examiner (awful work). Except for the patent examiner job, I always enjoyed my work, although I often found my employers wanted to turn that enjoyable work into a job. I designed and built audio equipment, microprocessor based products, A/V systems, and a handful of other circuits and products. I built most of my own PCs.

I retired eight years ago at 67. I keep my hand in the mix with my media room (check out barfle’s bonus room bijou thread), and also work on other home improvements and repeatedly bringing a 79 VW beetle back to life.

I’m never bored.

Here's a good question....

When you dream that you are back at work, is it ever a happy dream?

For me the answer is no. I always wake up relieved. I wouldn't say I hated my job overall, but I never loved it either (I also worked in an IT capacity). Perhaps my question is a good gauge of just how much you loved your job. If you have happy dreams about work, maybe that means you loved your job.

Extending an off-topic conversation - I spent most of my career as an electronics engineer, starting out as a technician and getting my BSEE in night school, with a stint as a patent examiner (awful work). Except for the patent examiner job, I always enjoyed my work, although I often found my employers wanted to turn that enjoyable work into a job. I designed and built audio equipment, microprocessor based products, A/V systems, and a handful of other circuits and products. I built most of my own PCs.

I retired eight years ago at 67. I keep my hand in the mix with my media room (check out barfle’s bonus room bijou thread), and also work on other home improvements and repeatedly bringing a 79 VW beetle back to life.

I’m never bored.
A life well lived. Awesome.

I’m never bored.
I also have built all of my own PC s as well as some for others. In this way you get all the best components in one box. I taught my sons how to do this as well. Really not a difficult task.

Back