No More Formats

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidiMagic

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
NO more.

No more formats.

Part of the problem is that there are too many formats (and more all the time).

I will stick with records, CDs, DVDs and Pro-Logic II.

NO more.

No more formats.

The reason for the formats has always been the same as it's been in most other endeavors, to improve the breed.
In modern multichannel the quest has been two fold. The first has been in resolution/sound quality and the move away from the lossy codec's to lossless high data-rate formats and has been a positive one for those interested in SQ. The second was the move to sources that could hold more data, allowing as many channels as desired while still offering high data rate lossless music over an ever longer time frame. All have been moves in a positive direction with few negatives with the exception of requiring new gear capable of handling the newest formats. The good news there is if you aren't interested in moving forward with the changes, most all the formats where reverse compatable and not requiring new gear to enjoy the current TOTL. IE, Atmos encoded sources are backward compatible all the way to stereo..
I find your position disturbing simply because if we all took that stance, it would for sure ring the final death bell for future multich recording. :(

But how many players must you have to play all of those new formats?

Some of us are not made of money.
That is always been my obstacle. Not everyone makes universal players anymore. If all the 4K players were truly and fully backwards compatible then non-issue. Sadly choices are limited and some choices are expensive. Another hindrance to successful adoption beyond niche.

Everything except the new "immersive" formats play fine on my streamer/server.

Is your 'everything' pretty much limited to (commercial?) downloads or do you have hardware to rip physical releases?

There is so much money in licensing revenues from new formats (licensing is the core business of companies like Dolby and DTS, among others) that it is unlikely we will see an end to new formats.

Even though there are many audio firms and designers that wish for the days when they could design new audio gear without the need to pay licensing fees and wait for certification of their products before they can come to market. :)

NO more.

No more formats.

I agree. I'm sure Blu-Ray is the greatest thing there is this week, but for the amount of releases available for it (two that I would consider buying) it's not worth it for me. I have no Blu-Ray videos to watch and the same situation exists that there is very little that I would spend the money on for video Blu-Rays because I own 95% of what I want on DVD already.

Where's that cartoon of the guy screaming: "I've bought the White Album on LP, 8-track & Cassette. I'm not buying the CD!)

Now, if the companies all got their poop in a group and said: We are releasing 100 titles of good, classic rock, pop, soul and country on Blu-Ray audio..... I might be convinced. But a release here and a release there.... nah. It's not worth it for me.

In all seriousness, I only got an SACD player 5 years ago and being honest, I never thought I'd ever use the function. I was more interested in the fact that the player did DTS, Dolby and DVD-A. The fact that it did SACD only became a side-effect when Dutton-Vocalion started leaning into their Quad program.

But how many players must you have to play all of those new formats?

None, really. If you don't want to pay for new devices or buy more speakers, or can't afford to, then don't. Like Sal said, "all" the new formats (Are Atmos and DTS:x still considered new?) are backward compatible, so you don't have to buy anything but new content, and just enjoy your current system's capabilities.

I myself have no intention of ever going beyond 5.1, so what I already have is all I'm going to buy.

No more formats.

I‘m going to disagree. New formats have always brought NEW content.

Without new formats (driven my marketing) most of us would not be here on QQ and members would be discussing their 1970s Quad LPs and Tapes only.

DTS CDs, DTS DVDs, Dolby DVDs, SACD brought thousands of new releases, new music and artists to surround. I would not have discovered MCH music without those New formats.

Bluray, Downloads and now Streaming have also given us New content.

As much as I love my old favourite albums, I need new music. Bring on new Formats!

Last edited:
I‘m going to disagree. New formats have always brought NEW content.

Without new formats (driven my marketing) most of us would not be here on QQ and members would be discussing their 1970s Quad LPs and Tapes only.

DTS CDs, DTS DVDs, Dolby DVDs, SACD brought thousands of new releases, new music and artists to surround. I would not have discovered MCH music without those New formats.

Bluray, Downloads and now Streaming have also given us New content.

As such as I love my old favourite albums, I need new music. Bring on new Formats!
this1.gif

Even though formats can be evil in that they pit like fans against like fans, as Garry says they drive new releases and have over the past 60 or so years. With every unleashing of a new system we get at least the start of titles we might never see.

The biggest issue with the new format event is that the people behind the format have to answer the the proverbial bean counter, and unless the format takes off like a California wild fire (am I allowed to say that?) then more often than not the force behind the new format bails due to insufficient beans leaving the consumer and some manufacturers with nowhere to go moving forward.

This is what really sucks. The consumer invests due to the promise of a bright future, and soon finds that the future is either a finite timeline of format life, or a life of scouring eBay for things they missed.

Back