No More Formats

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On tap can be more like the live performance.

GOTCHA!

See the source image

There is so much money in licensing revenues from new formats (licensing is the core business of companies like Dolby and DTS, among others) that it is unlikely we will see an end to new formats.

Even though there are many audio firms and designers that wish for the days when they could design new audio gear without the need to pay licensing fees and wait for certification of their products before they can come to market. :)

I don't know if that holds true any more - we've spoken to people who were in that aspect of the business at Dolby and DTS and they all say that the licensing model is dead. Dolby practically had to give the Atmos decoder to theaters - for them it's about market share - loss-leaders.

I don't know if that holds true any more - we've spoken to people who were in that aspect of the business at Dolby and DTS and they all say that the licensing model is dead. Dolby practically had to give the Atmos decoder to theaters - for them it's about market share - loss-leaders.

Uh oh -Big Bad Dave out on the loose - I love it! :love:

"What we lose on every sale we make up for on volume!"

And yet Dolby keeps introducing new variants of Atmos and their other licensed technologies for which they get licensing fees for each AV receiver, encoder, etc. sold.

Not to mention Dolby branded encoders (DP591), object authoring tools (DP590), reference decoders (DP580), etc. they sell in the pro market. Do they give these away for Free?
If they do, I'm sure some of the QQ surround fans here would love to get some free Atmos encoding and authoring gear from Dolby.... :)

Dolby Atmos Workflow.png

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/profess...DP591 is a real,Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos

Again I must declare self interest and complete one eyed irrational bias mode enable.

I say yay and good luck to all new formats PROVIDED they are backwards compatible to good ol primitive STEREO. Even though surround has been a big and in my opinion over hyped thing in the past 35 years it really has not penetrated music (unfortunately). It arrived in sync with the decay of music to the complete crap we hear today (grumpy old fart mode enable). I say over hyped because in fact even today STEREO is by far the most dominant format, it is in radio, YouTube, TV , MP3, CD's, pirate bay, you name it. In addition to this, in a survey conducted by Philips in the 90's showed that in 60% of surround systems purchased the rear speakers were either put in the front or not installed.

When a customer goes to a shop to buy a sound system they will buy one of those wretched generic "receivers" because that is their expectation as it is what they are told to do, but with complete ignorance of why or all the myriad of cross format logos presented on the front panel. In fact it has become a pissing contest of badges- if you want to compare a Yamaha or a Pioneer "receiver" their only test is count the badges and or look at the price. In addition to cope with all the ever growing channels because 5.1 does not work- make it 7.1- no 9.2 - no Atmos blah blah the complexity of the rear panel was getting nuts - hence the recent trend of getting rid if the good ol RCA in favour or the friggin awful HDMI pox.

So while all the manufacturers are following the rest with ever growing numbers of speakers that the wife wont handle and the complicated choice of source material formats we at Involve are going "back to the future" with a format that even the non technical completely understand- STEREO!!!

SHAMELESS PROMOTION WARNING!

I challenge anybody to pick the difference between a discrete multichannel recording to a recording made in Involve Intelligent STEREO and then decoded into either 4 channel or (yuck) 5.1. All tests impartially conducted at knife point in our facility with test victims showed no real difference (slight bias to Involve believe it or not). Involve stereo has no audible image compression or other issues associated with previous matrix surround formats Involve STEREO sounds identical to STEREO. So why the hell don't we all standardize back to a surround encoded STEREO (Intelligent Involve Stereo)

Yes, add additional tracks if you want to waist more bandwidth with whatever new format comes along but encode surround in the stereo. Remember one of the main things that killed surround back in the 70's was public confusion over a multitude of incompatible surround formats, in the end the public and the hifi community said bugger it go back to something that was brainless and worked- STEREO.

Until surround becomes dumb, easy and universally compatible it will always be a fringe market.

Is Joe public going to understand this:

1592485881757.png

or this

Y4V3_RENDER_1.24.png

Full surround- no need for center channel!

SHAMELESS SELF PROMOTING BIAS MODE DISABLE
Y4V3_RENDER_1.18.png

That's big bad "Dave the Bitch"!
There must be something wrong with me, I just can’t seem to bring myself to say that :unsure:
I was beginning to think you kept poor ol Dave caged up down there 😜
Oh well, there’s always next time:smokin

Oh and P.S.
I for one went back in time and now have a fully restored piece of electronic art - QRX-8001 and I’m lovin’ life again; (4.0) style of course 🤗

:QQlove

Seems they are a little behind the times and no Hi-Def Surround, maybe the LoC doesn’t listen to any :p
I’m sure there’s lots of storage tech still to come, what about that new Holographic (actually been in development since the 60’s) or even organic DNA Storage Has a New Molecule-Sized Competitor
Ultimately, nothing is bullet proof though.

Part of that choice is being able to build a player if none have survived.

The technology used in flash drives deteriorates over time.

Suppose a global electromagnetic pulse has occurred and none of the digital devices in existence survived. Even though the technology to make a player exists, would anyone have in a non-digital medium the information needed to read any kind of digital storage device.

A phonograph is a simple device which can be constructed with simple electronics and machine tools. But I want to see someone make a CD p;layer from scratch without knowing the encoding and recording methods.

Until surround becomes dumb, easy and universally compatible it will always be a fringe market.
Is Joe public going to understand this:
or this

You are on point ONLY because the studios, manufacturers and retailers do an absolutely terrible job of informing and educating people. Joe Public can understand how to hook up speakers and connect devices, just need to be educated and shown.

Non existent/limited marketing also adds fuel to the fire that most people don't know about surround sound. Change these factors and surround sound music is widely adopted not niche.

Just play the hoi polloi Brothers in Arms in mch. If that doesn't raise interest it is a hopeless cause.

I believe that ideal system for regular (sane, sensible, your pick) music-lovers is one that includes the main speakers with side speakers with ambiance DSP, say one based on a Lexicon CP3. Atmos had the promise of even better upmixing in a modern package, but that seems to be in decline.

Dolby Atmos Center Spread Update for AV Receivers

Back