No More Formats

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMO, had SONY added an HDCD layer to the RBCD portion which boasted 20 bit resolution...they would've had a TRUE winner.

But there still would be a shortage of players being able to decode HDCD. HDCD-encoded CD layer do exist on hybrid SACDs. Reference Recordings, naturally, is THE label that releases such SACD. The Sony hybrid SACD version of the Dave Brubeck Quartet's "Time Out" is also HDCD encoded (but unmarked).

42869209244_04a00f51f7.jpg

But there still would be a shortage of players being able to decode HDCD. HDCD-encoded CD layer do exist on hybrid SACDs. Reference Recordings, naturally, is THE label that releases such SACD. The Sony hybrid SACD version of the Dave Brubeck Quartet's "Time Out" is also HDCD encoded (but unmarked).

42869209244_04a00f51f7.jpg

Interesting that OPPO replaced HDCD decoding with MQA in the OPPO 205! I just ordered the Japanese UHQCD MQA encoded CD of Joni Mitchell's BLUE.

But how many players must you have to play all of those new formats?

Some of us are not made of money.

You don't HAVE to buy anything...this is a hobby...not a necessity of your existence...and it appears to be a central theme for you...I do find it amusing that you pondered an electromagnetic pulse possibility in the middle of a pandemic...as a sign of the times...I'm going to engage the forum version of social distancing in your case...it's called the ignore button...but if you don't like the evolution of the electronic industry...you might try joining an Amish community..you could be a forward thinker in that setting... with your fancy LP's and CDs and DVD's

Let me explain something...I have no animosity toward you..none...what you posted doesn't make me angry...it's just the realization that what you have to offer me on the forum isn't worth my time...this pandemic and my personal situation right now has highlighted the central theme of my life right now...TIME...I have so little of it for social purposes that I have to maximize it...and after looking thru the history of your posts since you joined in 2010...it's an easy predictor of future posts...very little common ground for me...speaking of time...pandemics...and of course electromagnetic pulse events...this final episode of Twilight Zone puts things in perspective

You don't HAVE to buy anything...this is a hobby...not a necessity of your existence...and it appears to be a central theme for you...I do find it amusing that you pondered an electromagnetic pulse possibility in the middle of a pandemic...as a sign of the times...I'm going to engage the forum version of social distancing in your case...it's called the ignore button...but if you don't like the evolution of the electronic industry...you might try joining an Amish community..you could be a forward thinker in that setting... with your fancy LP's and CDs and DVD's

Let me explain something...I have no animosity toward you..none...what you posted doesn't make me angry...it's just the realization that what you have to offer me on the forum isn't worth my time...this pandemic and my personal situation right now has highlighted the central theme of my life right now...TIME...I have so little of it for social purposes that I have to maximize it...and after looking thru the history of your posts since you joined in 2010...it's an easy predictor of future posts...very little common ground for me...speaking of time...pandemics...and of course electromagnetic pulse events...this final episode of Twilight Zone puts things in perspective

Prepare for the nuclear Holocaust.
Make sure you have back up eyeglasses!

It was the Library of Congress that thought up the EMP scenario. They wanted something that worked even after something like this happened.

sorry. it´s a writer...
Sorry that it's loud & noisy. My LG internal BD M Disc player burner might be too but there's the usual PC fan noise maybe masking it. M Disc is good embrace it.

Edit: Oh I get it now... the "twisted joke" part is that you don't use or care for anything Blu-Ray. Well, M Disc makes DVD's & CD's as well!

Last edited:
Sorry that it's loud & noisy. My LG internal BD M Disc player burner might be too but there's the usual PC fan noise maybe masking it. M Disc is good embrace it.

Edit: Oh I get it now... the "twisted joke" part is that you don't use or care for anything Blu-Ray. Well, M Disc makes DVD's & CD's as well!
Oh no, I am a BIG FAN of hardware and discs, I love discs (as opposed to my wife who´d rather have no posessions), but yeah, the twisted joke is that after having my bd burner fail I get given yet ANOTHER new , yet already "obsolete" format (I read that the company went bust!)...but I think that the idea is grand and it should be revived if it actually lives up to its specs

Last edited:
Oh no, I am a BIG FAN of hardware and discs, I love discs (as opposed to my wife who´d rather have no posessions), but yeah, the twisted joke is that after having my bd burner fail I get given yet ANOTHER new , yet already "obsolete" format (I read that the company went bust!)...but I think that the idea is grand and it should be revived if it actually lives up to its specs
Sorry to be so dense again, but...
Are you saying the BD format is obsolete?
And that LG or M Disc went bust?

What are English Tea Biscuits? I'm English and I've never heard the term - is it a US thing?
I think it's a U.S. distinction, because we use the term "biscuit" to refer to a kind of savory shortbread. Basically, what kind of biscuit might you have with tea? That's an "English tea biscuit" in American English.

What are English Tea Biscuits? I'm English and I've never heard the term - is it a US thing?
I think it's a U.S. distinction, because we use the term "biscuit" to refer to a kind of savory shortbread. Basically, what kind of biscuit might you have with tea? That's an "English tea biscuit" in American English.

Give me scones or give me death! Six trips to Scotland definitely influenced me.

Back