No more SACD & DVD-A at my BB!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My local BB in South Jersey also seems to be lacking; which is really nothing new. I don't think I noticed anything really new since the Elton John releases, and they were re-stocked at least once.

Just the other week I went over to the SACD/DVD-A section and noticed it was in its' normal disarray, and found it hard to find anything new. I saw that they had no Bob Dylan and went over to the regular CD section to find that they were mixed in there as usual, as well as Elton and a 'Slowhand' SACD in the CD section.

I don't know if they care less, or are not re-stocking. The issue as always seems to be that no one has a clue what an SACD or DVD-A is. They do seem to know how to stock the DVD-A's since they are a different size, but let's face it, to the normal kid re-stocking, a CD case goes in with the CD's.

Eugenius said:
Soundboy,
Out of curiosity... Does the BB location where you've seen an increase in SACD/DVD-A also happen to be one of the few locations where they've added a Magnolia Hi-Fi mini store inside the Best Buy? I've read about these things, but I never been to one. I had read on a different forum where someone had posted an increase in selection and he had also mentioned the store included a Magnolia. I wonder if there is a connection?

You are right about the Magnolia Hi Fi....they added a separate mini-store in a corner of the Dublin store. For those who don't know, Magnolia is owned by Best Buy and they sell brands like Denon, Pioneer Elite, Sony ES, B&K, Boston Acoustics, Martin-Logan, Definitive Tech, and some others. However, I don't see increased traffic to the SACD section; I am usually there by myself. I visit this particular Best Buy enough that I almost know the SACD inventory by heart, so the increased inventory was quite surprising. Oh, I did send about three or four nasty e-mails to Best Buy complaining about the SACD selection at its Dublin, CA store. :D

Thanks for the info. It sounds like maybe we should all send nasty emails to BB so that we can get an increased selection, too! ;)

I know what you mean about being the only person who shops the section. I never run into anyone else. Well... Once there was a guy who asked me if I knew what these things were. (Does that count?) But someone else must be buying them, too, even if I don't see him, because I check frequently enough to recognize when certain titles sell out. Unless they're just shipping 'em all to Dublin, CA! :eek:

Eugenius said:
Thanks for the info. It sounds like maybe we should all send nasty emails to BB so that we can get an increased selection, too! ;)

I know what you mean about being the only person who shops the section. I never run into anyone else. Well... Once there was a guy who asked me if I knew what these things were. (Does that count?) But someone else must be buying them, too, even if I don't see him, because I check frequently enough to recognize when certain titles sell out. Unless they're just shipping 'em all to Dublin, CA! :eek:

I strongly encourage the e-mails to Best Buy. It doesn't hurt and it shows that there are people out there interested in multi-channel music, no matter what format it's on. Best Buy did send out a reply telling me that they will look into it.

Since I am aware of what's available in the SACD section of my local Best Buy, I do notice when disc get purchased (yes, I even check the regular CD section, which is where I found the SACD of Bryan Ferry's "Boys and Girls"). Never in big numbers, just the three or four titles that disappear every couple of weeks. So someone else is buying these discs besides myself.

BTW, this increased inventory has so far only happened at Dublin, CA. I have been told another area Best Buy (in Emeryville, CA, across the street from Pixar's headquarter) has no new stock.

soundboy said:
I strongly encourage the e-mails to Best Buy. It doesn't hurt and it shows that there are people out there interested in multi-channel music, no matter what format it's on. Best Buy did send out a reply telling me that they will look into it.

Right on! I've emailed them a few times under various email addresses to thank them for their support of the multi-channel formats, in particular the SACD. I urge everyone on this board to take the time and do the same.

Eugenius said:
Soundboy,
Out of curiosity... Does the BB location where you've seen an increase in SACD/DVD-A also happen to be one of the few locations where they've added a Magnolia Hi-Fi mini store inside the Best Buy? I've read about these things, but I never been to one. I had read on a different forum where someone had posted an increase in selection and he had also mentioned the store included a Magnolia. I wonder if there is a connection?

It probably is. At the Best Buy in San Carlos, they actually have SACDs on sale inside the Magnolia HiFi section of the store in addition to the ones on sale in the regular SACD section.

jrahrah said:
Right on! I've emailed them a few times under various email addresses to thank them for their support of the multi-channel formats, in particular the SACD. I urge everyone on this board to take the time and do the same.

My e-mails always complain about the lack of restocking for SACDs and the generally disorganized fashion that SACDs are displayed. I gave specific titles that were available, then sold, and never restocked.*

*Kind of sad, if you think about it....memorizing the stock of a store I don't even work at. :(

Yeah, it seems to me that some Best Buy locations are stocking them and some are not. It makes me to wonder if it is the store manager's that possibly control what they are stocking . Maybe some store manager's or music dept. heads are more hip to SACD and DVD Audio than they are at other locations . Just a thought .

I last wrote on this on 7/14/05 and reported that my BB still carried, although limited, DVD-A and SACD music.
I walked in yesterday and the whole store was re-arranged!
NO MORE DVD-A OR SACD's :eek:

I guess it is my turn to vent on an e-mail to BB :mad:

Last week, I picked up Peter Gabriel's "So" and the Vince Gill SACD at my local (restocked) Best Buy. I am planning to e-mail them (again) to thank them for restocking the racks and remind them to keep restocking them.

soundboy said:
Last week, I picked up Peter Gabriel's "So" and the Vince Gill SACD at my local (restocked) Best Buy. I am planning to e-mail them (again) to thank them for restocking the racks and remind them to keep restocking them.

That's the spirit! Keep on thanking them. I'm not saying we'll change the powers that be, but perhaps they'll take notice?

"You can attract more with honey than vinegar", or something like that someone said.

At least one of the Best Buys in South Florida have restocked their small hi-res shelf. They had all the Peter Gabriel SACDs, numerous DVD-As, etc. I was very pleasantly surprised!

Back