Non-dumpster advice for Sony TC-366-4

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d_archivist

I just bought a Sony TC-366-4 from the Goodwill auction site; they claim it will power on but was not otherwise tested.

Any suggestions on what to check first? I've downloaded the service manual from hifiengine.com.

Would you know anyone who might service the beast if I'm overwhelmed?

Or should I just drop the thing into the dumpster when FedEx shows up?

I was just kidding about the dumpster; I've saved more hopeless projects (e.g. 1941 Philco Beam-of-Light phonograph with bad/missing innards in the tone arm. I actually got it to work. Sort of).

But I really would appreciate whatever help you folks might share.

There are several excellent rebuild videos of the 2ch version on youtube.

A few suggestions:
1. The rubber parts in the transport are probably shot. Finding new ones could be a problem. Caig Caikleen RBR can rejuvenate hardened rubber.
2. The large electrolytic capacitors are probably shot too.
3. The rest of it will probably work if it hasn't been abused.

Thanks for the advice. I'm ok with changing the capacitors (which I assume will include the motor start capacitor) but hadn't thought of the rubber parts. Good call!

I finally got a chance to take a look at this recently. And after three weeks of disassembly, removing old lubricant, adding new, and adjusting the twice-damned FF/Play/Rew switch mechanism, I finally have the mechanics working reasonably well.

I also sprayed DeOxit on the switches and Fader Lube in the pots and worked the controls for a good while.

So I threw an old reel of no-name blank take on the beast and hit Play. No tape hiss, and no sound at all except for a loud noise in the right-rear channel (which pegs the VU meter). I hooked up an audio input and tried record. Things sound fine in the front channels when on Monitor, but nothing doing on Tape. The left rear channel sounds good on Monitor; the right is still all noise. Tape still plays back with no sound, no hiss and no VU activity (save for that one rear channel).

I have the service manual, and will start checking voltages and such next. Any suggestions as to what to concentrate on first?

Back