Noob question - QS and SQ decoding with Pro Logic 1?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBAF70

Hello. Im not sure if this is where to post this but I'm new to quad LP's and I searched the forum before posting this question. My question is I'm trying to play Ten Years Afters "A Space In Time" and Steely Dans " Pretzel Logic" quad LP's using a new Audio Technica turntable with 4 speakers and a old receiver with Pro Logic 1. I have read that this isn't the proper way to decode the LP's but that you can at least hear some seapararion from the speakers. I hear no separation in any of the speakers. Is it a no go with this setup? Thanks and sorry if this question has been asked before.

Someone can answer your question better then me. But what is your Amp’s Model number and Make?

Sometimes you have to play with your receiver’s settings to get things to work, depending.

Welcome. It's my understanding that the decoding parameters of the old quad matrix formats and Pro Logic are somewhat different, so the degree of channel separation and sounds steered to the rear speakers on your current setup are unlikely to be what the mixing engineer intended for you hear.

The Ten Years After LP is encoded in the CBS 'SQ' matrix format and should feature fairly-pronounced channel separation when played through the proper type of decoder. The album was remixed in an intentionally 'active' way to show off the new (at the time) quad format--for instance, the acoustic guitar at the end of "Here They Come" should begin circling the room clockwise.

The Steely Dan LP is encoded in the Sansui 'QS' matrix format, but--even with the proper decoder--you'll hear minimal separation between speakers. That's just the way it was mixed. The first two albums were remixed to quad more aggressively with instruments frequently isolated in the back speakers.

The only non-vintage unit that will decode these LPs properly is Involve Audio's Surround Master.
http://involveaudio.com/product/surround-master-v2/

Welcome. It's my understanding that the decoding parameters of the old quad matrix formats and Pro Logic are somewhat different, so the degree of channel separation and sounds steered to the rear speakers on your current setup are unlikely to be what the mixing engineer intended for you hear.

The Ten Years After LP is encoded in the CBS 'SQ' matrix format and should feature fairly-pronounced channel separation when played through the proper type of decoder. The album was remixed in an intentionally 'active' way to show off the new (at the time) quad format--for instance, the acoustic guitar at the end of "Here They Come" should begin circling the room clockwise.

The Steely Dan LP is encoded in the Sansui 'QS' matrix format, but--even with the proper decoder--you'll hear minimal separation between speakers. That's just the way it was mixed. The first two albums were remixed to quad more aggressively with instruments frequently isolated in the back speakers.

The only non-vintage unit that will decode these LPs properly is Involve Audio's Surround Master.
http://involveaudio.com/product/surround-master-v2/
Thanks for the clarification and the link.

Pro Logic 1 does move something around but not as SQ or QS should place it; Pro Logic 2 decoded quite well the QS-encoded audio. Don't remember what were the settings for Panorama etc but it worked ok.

Here are the facts:

Dolby Surround, Dolby Pro Logic, and Pro Logic II all play the same kind of recording (Dolby Surround). The encoding for this recording is essentially the same as QS, except that the speaker positions are essentially those of the Dynaco Diamond.

All of these will play a QS album with the sound images very close to those intended for QS, even though the speakers aren't in the corners. They do a great job on EV and Dyna recordings too. You can also use the Surround mode to turn off the logic. And they solve the side imaging problem.

SQ will also partly play in a Dolby decoder. The front channels are in the correct place, but only the center back is placed properly. But the left back and right back channels come out of all of the speakers equally.

Its a Sony STR-DE415

If I’m reading the manual for this unit correct, you can connect a regular DVD player that has Dolby AC-3 RCA out jack, and put it into receiver. It should decode movie and music DVDs with a Dolby stream in at least 5.0. Five full range speakers will do.

If I’m reading the manual for this unit correct, you can connect a regular DVD player that has Dolby AC-3 RCA out jack, and put it into receiver. It should decode movie and music DVDs with a Dolby stream in at least 5.0. Five full range speakers will do.
Thanks for the help.

Does anyone have the Involve Audio Surround Master and how do you like it? I'd love to have one but it's out of my price range.

Does anyone have the Involve Audio Surround Master and how do you like it?

I think it's a great piece of gear. You won't find a better hardware decoder of QS, EV-4, and Dynaquad matrix LPs. The SQ decoding mode is somewhat less impressive to my ears, but it's still better than almost all the vintage units from the '70s. It also produces a solid faux-quad effect from stereo albums.

Will a vintage sq or qs decoder work with modern gear?

Sure, as long as your amp has an analog multichannel input. Many of the latest AVR's only have HDMI.

5.1 input.jpg

Here are the facts:

Dolby Surround, Dolby Pro Logic, and Pro Logic II all play the same kind of recording (Dolby Surround). The encoding for this recording is essentially the same as QS, except that the speaker positions are essentially those of the Dynaco Diamond.

All of these will play a QS album with the sound images very close to those intended for QS, even though the speakers aren't in the corners. They do a great job on EV and Dyna recordings too. You can also use the Surround mode to turn off the logic. And they solve the side imaging problem.

But doesn't the first DPL only support a single mono (and rolled off) surround channel, duplicated in Ls and Rs?

Back