HiRez Poll Nosound - LIGHTDARK [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of NOSOUND - LIGHTDARK

• 10: Great Fidelity, Great Performance, Great Content

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • 9:

Votes: 11 55.0%
  • 8:

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • 7:

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • 6:

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Fidelity, Poor Performance, Poor Content

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and comments on this November 2013 5.1 DVD-A release on kScope from NOSOUND!
(n):phones(y)

Pre-release discussion on this title can be found HERE

Nosound Lightdark front.jpg
Nosound Lightdark back.jpg
Nosound lightdark disc.jpg

I was a latecomer to my fellow countryman's music efforts, introduced to him via this very forum. And I'm glad I found him. This release is perfectly done. Musically, it's very much typically Nosound, but with its own signature style. Lots of Mellotron bathed tracks, teeming in atmosphere, the use of some exquisite cello performances, Tim Bowness taken vocals on one track, and the decidedly uptempo "Like The Elephant?" make for a stunning collection of songs. These are presented in a lovely book type gatefold with some great pictures and liner notes.

The MLP track is pristine and the mix is incredibly well done. This is a detailed recording with lots of nuances and these are all on display here. The extra DD and DTS tracks are useful for playing on my lesser systems around my home and the inclusion of the two promo videos is am added bonus.

In this day and age of the potential of Blu Ray, it's great to see such well thought out and put together DVD-A packages that outdo the efforts of certain major labels on that aforementioned format! ;)

However, a Nosound Blu Ray release would be most enjoyable ;)

Ben fatto e complimenti, Giancarlo!

Dieci su dieci da me!

I thought that Afterthoughts was so good it would be a hard one to better, but Giancarlo has achieved it with the beautifully remixed and remastered re-release of Lightdark. This was the first Nosound album I heard so to now hear it in such awesome quality is a treat indeed! The surround mixing is, of course, fully discrete and done in a way that really suits the style of Giancarlo's musical creations. The ambience is all-encompassing and washes over you from all sides like a warm blanket. The instrumentation and vocal parts are perfectly balanced as is the overall tonal content of the mix. All this makes for an exceptional 5.1 experience, but the astonishing fidelity of the recording lifts it to an even higher level. It's crisp, detailed and crystal clear. There's no "loudness war" compression at all and I'm very sure that it will really shine on any good surround system; it sounds amazing on mine! Add to this the top-notch quality of both the electronic (menus and images) and physical packaging from Kscope and you have a reference quality release. It's a joy to see and hear an artist taking such pride and obvious pleasure in presenting his work in the best possible way and great to see Kscope supporting this. Long may it continue.

This is a great album, which I didn't have before (curiously my brother did, and I introduced him to the band via the Prog Magazine demo disc!). Great 5.1 mix, music, guitars, and I do love the cello! There is a good mixture of music from the very swirly extra on the DVD "Clouds" to the rocky "Like The Elephant?". The 5.1 mix assists the music as it brings out the nuances, which is one of my tests for a good mix. The quality of the packaging is excellent. So congratulations to Giancarlo for the music and production, & KScope for having the foresight to let the artist do their own thing - and it pays off brilliantly.

First listen says this is great Giancarlo seems to get 5.1 and produce great mixes, timer he helped Steven out which is great for us surroundophiles.

The music is great a different from Sol 29 which is a favourite of mine, and closer to No-Man (not surprising given Tim Bowness's appearances on vocals) Dreamy and lush very atmospheric as I sit here with a glass of red wine

After A Sense Of Loss and Afterthoughts is Lightdark the 3th 5.1 mix from Giancarlo. and I must say, this is also his best to date. If you compare the mixes from the first two with the Lightdark it is world of difference.
This mix is open, rich and detailed and all instruments are in balance. Great job Giancarlo.

I think there are two things with mixing (stereo or surround): one is the technical skill, that you learn and evolve over time and experience, and the other one is the artistic one, that you either have or not.

I hope to have the latter, but I agree that it shows the former is getting better :)

It's looking more and more likely that this will be my first surround purchase of 2014. I was very impressed overall with "Afterthoughts" so I hope this one will be just as good too. :)

It's looking more and more likely that this will be my first surround purchase of 2014. I was very impressed overall with "Afterthoughts" so I hope this one will be just as good too. :)

If you get the latest edition of PROG magazine (Issue 42 Jan 2014) a track from it is on the free CD (along with one from the forth coming Transatlantic album).

CCF05012014_0001.jpg

I have to say that technically speaking this one could be even better, it was the third I've done in my new dedicated surround studio, so it's going to be only better and better..I see that other users here on QQ agree with this :)

I have to say that technically speaking this one could be even better, it was the third I've done in my new dedicated surround studio, so it's going to be only better and better..I see that other users here on QQ agree with this :)

I was just about to say the same thing. There, I did! Nice work.

Well that's good then, because it's currently on its way to me, courtesy of Burning Shed! :)

This is a great album, which I didn't have before (curiously my brother did, and I introduced him to the band via the Prog Magazine demo disc!). Great 5.1 mix, music, guitars, and I do love the cello! There is a good mixture of music from the very swirly extra on the DVD "Clouds" to the rocky "Like The Elephant?". The 5.1 mix assists the music as it brings out the nuances, which is one of my tests for a good mix. The quality of the packaging is excellent. So congratulations to Giancarlo for the music and production, & KScope for having the foresight to let the artist do their own thing - and it pays off brilliantly.

I liked this also. I think it my fave Nosound 5.1... I like the track with Tim Bowness "Nosound with No-man" very cool! :)

I had to get the t-shirt....Here's my "Songbook selfie" to prove it...

IMG_1147 (300 x 225) (225 x 300).jpg

BTW - Nice avatar... Duncan...

LizardKing thanks, great selfie indeed :D

I'm really happy everyone seems to be happy with Lightdark new mix, it was worth doing it...next one will be ASOL to be reissued as NTSC and DVD-A and vinyl hopefully..no plans for now, but is the only one missing now the 'pro' treatment.

In the meantime new material is being written, great stuff and the band is already very excited and cannot wait to start working on it.. :)

Received NOSOUND - Lightdark a few days ago, listening for the 2nd time now. As I already knew, I like the moody, dreamy sounds of this disk. It certainly cements the very drone sound of the keyboard in the rears...very nice. Nice, simple mix, great sound.

I give the overall quality of the disc a 9. Maybe a low 9.....
Good stuff.

Hi,

thanks for your nice comment, indeed my aim is always to not 'over' mix anything (stereo or surround), but just to use the speakers I have to get the best sound quality and balance I have in my mind. For sure the surround mix for me is not about special effects or overuse of rears/sub/central, but it's much more having physically more speakers to distribute the sound. The 'surround' feeling is for me just a small side of it..the big edge is to leave speakers work better because all low freqs are sent to the sub, and also intense sounds can be distributed: so just in terms of physics you get each speaker to better reproduce the sounds assigned to it.

I consider anyway myself constantly learning, so I'm sure next surround will be better :)

We'll announce soon, for the end of March, the first Nosound live release, in cd and with additional dvd video bonus content with the first few songs of the gig and more content. At the moment there will be only stereo (normal and hires) mixes, but I'll try preparing as well a surround version if I can.

Otherwise next year there are plans for more new studio material release...and that as usual will come for sure in high quality surround!

Giancarlo

Received NOSOUND - Lightdark a few days ago, listening for the 2nd time now. As I already knew, I like the moody, dreamy sounds of this disk. It certainly cements the very drone sound of the keyboard in the rears...very nice. Nice, simple mix, great sound.

I give the overall quality of the disc a 9. Maybe a low 9.....
Good stuff.

Hi,

thanks for your nice comment, indeed my aim is always to not 'over' mix anything (stereo or surround), but just to use the speakers I have to get the best sound quality and balance I have in my mind. For sure the surround mix for me is not about special effects or overuse of rears/sub/central, but it's much more having physically more speakers to distribute the sound. The 'surround' feeling is for me just a small side of it..the big edge is to leave speakers work better because all low freqs are sent to the sub, and also intense sounds can be distributed: so just in terms of physics you get each speaker to better reproduce the sounds assigned to it.

I consider anyway myself constantly learning, so I'm sure next surround will be better :)

We'll announce soon, for the end of March, the first Nosound live release, in cd and with additional dvd video bonus content with the first few songs of the gig and more content. At the moment there will be only stereo (normal and hires) mixes, but I'll try preparing as well a surround version if I can.

Otherwise next year there are plans for more new studio material release...and that as usual will come for sure in high quality surround!

Giancarlo

Hi Giancarlo. A surround version of your live album would be really great. We were able to convince Andy Jackson to release his new album in quad, just let us put a bit of pressure on you ;)

Hi,

Giancarlo

Hi Giancarlo

Thanks for this release. I just received today. I like the music and the mix very much, I am just wondering why you made it so loud? I have about 300 surround discs and this is one the loudest I have ever heard. I am about to order your Live album, I hope this is much less compressed?

Hi,

I think Lightdark was more compressed for the way it was as well recorded. It is loud but was not hard limited. When I mix I just mix with my ears (and checking obviously with other reference mixes) but I also try to put in it what's my taste, and I find most surround discs sound way too weak and clinical, lacking the punch that (also for psychoacoustic and physical reasons) stereo recordings have, being the source concentrated all together on one side and two speakers. And I refer to the 'intensity' not just the volume that you can just turn up :)

I usually just check RMS averaging around -15db, in terms of dynamics, after that I want to make my surround discs sounding more powerful and less clinical, more about 'surrounding' then putting an instrument here and another there because it sounds not natural to me :)

I hope you'll like the live album, you can have a preview of it on the QQ topic about it where I posted a flac preview of one full track!

Back