Random Stuff About Surround Sound

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quad era - Direct Cut Disc era (same time frame):

I was just thinking about this again (in view of the new QS encoded EP mentioned above), the same consumer electronics mags that covered Quad extensively also covered Direct Cut Discs extensively, but I don't recall a single instance where the Direct Cut Disc makers were asked about using a Quad matrix encoder in the production of Direct Cut Discs.

They could have used the original Scheiber matrix or EV Stereo-4, both of which just use phase reversals (simpler circuits), they would have decoded fairly well w/DynaQuad/Stereo-4/QS.

Anyone ever run across any info about using a matrix encoder in the production of Direct Cut Discs?

Kirk Bayne

Quad era - Direct Cut Disc era (same time frame):

I was just thinking about this again (in view of the new QS encoded EP mentioned above), the same consumer electronics mags that covered Quad extensively also covered Direct Cut Discs extensively, but I don't recall a single instance where the Direct Cut Disc makers were asked about using a Quad matrix encoder in the production of Direct Cut Discs.

They could have used the original Scheiber matrix or EV Stereo-4, both of which just use phase reversals (simpler circuits), they would have decoded fairly well w/DynaQuad/Stereo-4/QS.

Anyone ever run across any info about using a matrix encoder in the production of Direct Cut Discs?

Kirk Bayne

I bought loads of Direct Discs. Don't ever remember running across one that was Quad encoded.

There were dbx encoded LP'S that were also QS encoded.

Guys, I just deleted over 50 posts in this thread. Not a one of them had a damn thing to do with it. Unacceptable.

Kindly be sure not to go down this road again.
I thought this thread was created for miscellaneous discussion about all stuff unrelated to the new SM3..... Idle chit chat

If not please clarify what this thread is now about

I bought loads of Direct Discs. Don't ever remember running across one that was Quad encoded.

I'll have to pull out some of my Direct Cut LPs and see if there's much surround content (w/DPL decoding), I have 1 or 2 classical music Direct Cut LPs, my others are mostly easy listening and popular music (Sheffield Lab).

Kirk Bayne

There were dbx encoded LP'S that were also QS encoded.
Wow, talk about oddballs! dbx encoded LPs are weird enough, but QS encoded as well?

Do you know how many of these unicorns there were?

This was good combo of formats, there are only about a dozen classical releases, have 10 of them.

Politics, health care and other topics don't belong on QQ. There are other places on the net in which to do so 🤔
In those other places the discussion would immediately descend into insults and obscenities and no information exchange would occur. It is to QQ's credit that the discussion here stayed mostly civil.

Last edited:

Wow that's a pretty good collection. Do you still have a dbx decoder to play them? I have two (count 'em, 2) SQ dbx classical discs and that's it. At the time I purchased a JC Penney cassette deck that had dbx encode/decode on it. It had a second line input that you would plug your RIAA preamp into to listen to the discs. It wasn't until living with CD's a few years that I appreciated how remarkable the LP/Quad/dbx accomplishment was. Dynamic range and noise free challenging CD, and fed thorough a Fosgate Tate just wonderful surround sound. And all analog!

Wow that's a pretty good collection. Do you still have a dbx decoder to play them? I have two (count 'em, 2) SQ dbx classical discs and that's it. At the time I purchased a JC Penney cassette deck that had dbx encode/decode on it. It had a second line input that you would plug your RIAA preamp into to listen to the discs. It wasn't until living with CD's a few years that I appreciated how remarkable the LP/Quad/dbx accomplishment was. Dynamic range and noise free challenging CD, and fed thorough a Fosgate Tate just wonderful surround sound. And all analog!
Didn't know there was any DBX-SQ releases, the Stravinsky/Prokofiev mentions SQ on the back cover but has QS on the disc label. I got a nice looking DBX 128 for pretty cheap online, too bad there weren't more releases.

Didn't know there was any DBX-SQ releases, the Stravinsky/Prokofiev mentions SQ on the back cover but has QS on the disc label. I got a nice looking DBX 128 for pretty cheap online, too bad there weren't more releases.
Being decades n decades ago I am trusting my memory. Hmm I should probably trust my LP library and check it out.

ah no sorry SW, not in my personal collection (have only heard some), it is just a reference list of the ones I know about.

Looks like our good man @furui_suterioo has got the handle on these!

Back