NOW tell me Sony are not full of Shit!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Full color full page ad from Sony BMG in October 2007 Stereophile for "Bach: Goldberg Variations - Glenn Gould" (1955 Zenph Studios re-performance)

Well of course Sony advertised in Stereophile; unfortunately, the average listener--the kind you have to attract to a format to make it viable--does not read Stereophile, or any other mag that deals with hi-rez of any kind.

When CD's and DVD's began to take off, what was touted was 'higher resolution,' as in, 'this is superior to vinyl or tape' or 'better picture and sound than VHS'...which could theoretically be true, although as audio/videophiles are aware, it all depends on mastering and source materials even more than any 'hi-rez' format itself.

Most of all, the companies pushed the formats and shoveled BS our way--which is how they managed, within a decade, to push highly popular vinyl and VHS to the margins. They didn't do it on price--CD's were always more expensive per unit at the outset than vinyl or tape, while DVD's were generally on par with VHS prices, but sometimes more expensive, too(although most consumers don't realize it, DVD really replaced LD's first, which were always overpriced).

But as Jon points out, Sony bailed at the worst possible time--when there was a real chance for a breakthrough by issuing DSOTM. But even then, to make it work, it would have had to be the ONLY choice for consumers; instead, EMI kept the older remaster in print, hedging their bets, as usual.

ED :)

The sad truth is IPod spends this much on advertising in one day and that free sampler was long ago.

Full color full page ad from Sony BMG in October 2007 Stereophile for "Bach: Goldberg Variations - Glenn Gould" (1955 Zenph Studios re-performance)

This is for the disc not the format

Free SACD sampler in Rolling Stone Magazine along with Double Truck ad featuring national co-promotion with Circuit City with listening stations. In all fairness, the execution at Circuit was miserable but Sony laid out big bucks not to mention all of the $$$ incentives they gave to Telarc, Chesky and most notably Universal to support the format - sad truth is that the public didn't bite

No The Public never knew it was out there.
There was never a stong advertising campaign for SACD
this is what was needed
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_advertising

I'm afraid that many of you in this thread are blaming Sony for something that really should be blamed on the general public. Sony pushed SACD plenty, but the general public responded with a communal yawn.

It's really nothing more than You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. How much money was Sony supposed to throw at this format before giving up? I'm sure they lost an astronomical sum on it. You can't expect them to drop millions of dollars on TV commercials. They'd have to sell millions of extra units just to pay for the commercials. A lot of these discs sold in the neighborhood of 1000-10,000 units.

Believe it or not, during 1999, the first year of SACD, when it was available only in Japan and the players were several thousand dollars, Bob Dylan's "Blonde on Blonde" SACD sold a whopping FIFTY (50) COPIES!

I agree Sony made some mistakes along the way, but I don't think they were big enough mistakes to alone have killed the format. It was simply: Lack of demand.

One of the major benefits to SACD that Sony was pushing to other labels was that it could not be copied. (And amazingly, its code has to this day never been broken!) But then when Sony made the hybrid disc, with a CD layer, that CD layer could be copied. So then all the disc had going for it, for this part of the sales pitch to other companies, was that the SACD layer could not be copied. Big Deal.

Good grief, will those who claim that Sony are not to blame for the lack of success of SACD (and DVD-A) kindly wake up and smell the coffee, anyone who claims that Sony effectively marketed SACD is barking mad.

I don’t wish to be combative about this but sometimes I just can’t stand it when people say such dumb things.
They did NOT market SACD effectively or really, for that matter, at all. It is simply untrue to suggest that they did. Or naïve. And we're talking PROPER marketing here; the kind that puts a better format (Sony Betamax for example) in the ground whilst allowing an inferior product (JVC’s VHS) to completely dominate the market. These guys don’t take prisoners.

But you’re missing the point. Sony and their kind don’t care about the sound quality of their product. I’m sorry if that sounds like some nonsense conspiracy theory but the facts back me up. Sure the odd ad would have appeared in Stereophile (readership how many?) but was SACD on MTV 24-7? No. Was it in the newspapers, radio, on Internet banners, Spam, messenger pigeon? No, no, no, no and no. Could you buy anything you really wanted on SACD? Fuggedaboutit. And don't forget that DVD-A was not taken up by Sony and in reverse SACD was not taken up by Warners etc thereby introducing yet another format war. Should we then blame the public for 'a lack of interest'? That is total bollocks.

Sony researched the possibility of a format that would be both higher quality (relative to existing CD) and non-copyable, and they eventually found it with SACD but in the first place other much better sounding formats were dropped by Sony because of the copying issue. Even so, nothing on the scale of a major change in format will succeed without mass marketing and easy, global participation and Sony utterly failed to accomplish this. SACD (and DVD-A to some extent) was doomed from the word go not only because of the internal politics of Sony but because it was burdened with legal restrictions, lack of a continuous supply of across-the-board material (other labels’ products) distribution hassles, top-heavy contractual obligations and prohibitive costs. As a format SACD was almost exactly what Sony had in mind when they commissioned their original research into hi-res but they couldn’t get their paranoid heads around the copying and back catalogue issues. SACD was indeed impossible to directly copy but you had to be and still do need to be quite wealthy to even consider releasing anything on SACD, much less be an independent band or label considering releasing stuff. The costs are prohibitive to say the least and you can dream on if you think you’ll make any money out of it. This situation would kill ANY format stone dead. They know this. And. They. Don’t. Care.

On a global scale, these issues are going to remain largely out of our hands.
Consider the two biggest shake-ups in our lifetimes of formats: 1) Vinyl to CD and 2) Video cassette to DVD: Arguments of quality aside, the unit cost of a CD, even in the very first days was less than a tenth of the cost of a 12” vinyl LP and yet they could charge more for it! I forget the exact figures but I recall there being something like a 95+ % saving on the physical cost of a DVD over a VHS cassette in raw materials, manufacturing and distribution costs. A no-brainer of course that the industry would go for it but it could only happen on a global scale. And that sort of scale means a colossal amount of marketing is necessary. SACD never received even a sniff of that even though it was Sony's own baby.

Think back, the possibility in the early 1980’s of CD being nothing more than just a small luxury side-line is exactly the same as today’s situation with SACD and DVD-A but with one major difference: The change-over from CD to SACD or DVD-A cannot generate such exotic sums of money as the change from CD to vinyl, or VHS to DVD video. This is purely commercial pressure talking and it's talking DOWN to the general public. In these circumstances, with an industry that spends almost allof its profits on methods of controlling the use of material rather than the quality of it, hi-res and surround formats stand very little chance of success. The only thing that would make the Majors change formats would be mass action. The only mass action that has taken place is illegal downloading of compressed files.

And sound quality? Don’t make me laugh. They don’t give a toss. Now they are selling us those very same digital downloads which represent as big a step backward in terms of sound quality as it's possible to imagine.

I shouldn't need to point out that the marketing budgets for digital downloading services have probably already outstripped anything that was ever spent on marketing SACD or DVD-A by a factor of at least 1000 to one. OK, I'm guessing but even 10 to one will do. They are selling us shit and we are buying it because there is little choice but to do so. Kids are more likely to listen to new pop tunes on a tinny mono mobile phone 'speaker than anything that might actually sound good and the majors are all hypeing this shit to the max, everywhere you look it's MP3 this and download that. That's the reality and even if I want no part of it there is almost nothing I, or any other member of the public can do about it.

As a mass commercial venture Sony fcuked SACD up entirely and made sure that DVD-A died with it. FACT. Deal with it.

In these circumstances I find it incredibly offensive to blame the public for the lack of hi-res stuff and I will continue to rest the blame ENTIRELY on Sony, BMG, EMI and the other majors with an entirely clean conscience as should every other member of the public who gives a damn about sound quality. Yes we'd all like to have something that sounds better but in all honesty how is this going to happen? I'll tell you, it's when we can't buy any more shit.

Now again, anyone, tell us Sony are not full of shit!

As the head of Meridian Audio said: In the war between the SACD and DVD-Audio, the winner was the iPod.

Cheers all,

Colin at See Why Audio.

A similar success was had with the SACD re-release of Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon compete with CD backwards compatibility and SACD 5.1 surround sound. Over 1,000,000 copies of this high-resolution title were sold yet the label never followed up with other Pink Floyd or comparable titles in a similar value package leaving early adopters and Floyd fans to wonder if they should ever adopt a new technology like SACD ever again. Many of these shaken and stirred technological end users are the same ones sitting on the sidelines as Blu-ray and HD DVD slug it out in a format war that is reminiscent of the audio-only SACD versus DVD-Audio format war from a few years ago.

by: Jerry Del Colliano

In these circumstances I find it incredibly offensive to blame the public for the lack of hi-res stuff and I will continue to rest the blame ENTIRELY on Sony, BMG, EMI and the other majors with an entirely clean conscience as should every other member of the public who gives a damn about sound quality.

I agree that the major labels should've backed up the format with new releases. However, SACD was not what the general public wanted. The general masses could care less about better mastering, surround music or sound quality. All they wanted was convenience. To these people, the regular is the de-facto "hi-rez" format....and guess what, they don't even want CD. I don't think Sony can't change that type of paradigm shift in the distribution of music. Sure, Sony can make every CD a hybrid SACD, but will the average consumer care enough to invest money into a SACD-capable player?

Good grief, will those who claim that Sony are not to blame for the lack of success of SACD (and DVD-A) kindly wake up and smell the coffee, anyone who claims that Sony effectively marketed SACD is barking mad.

I don’t wish to be combative about this but sometimes I just can’t stand it when people say such dumb things.

You need to chill out and lose the attitude.

I agree that the major labels should've backed up the format with new releases. However, SACD was not what the general public wanted. The general masses could care less about better mastering, surround music or sound quality. All they wanted was convenience. To these people, the regular is the de-facto "hi-rez" format....and guess what, they don't even want CD. I don't think Sony can't change that type of paradigm shift in the distribution of music. Sure, Sony can make every CD a hybrid SACD, but will the average consumer care enough to invest money into a SACD-capable player?

Well let's be honest about it, what the public want and what the record companies provide have never been the same since Colonel Tom Parker.

As I pointed out, Sony rejected plenty of other, arguably better hi-res options before going with SACD NOT because the public wanted it, but because it was what the company wanted. That they then failed to follow up their own initial research, development and publicity efforts with actual releases only proves that they don't care about sound quality OR what the public ‘want’ and when you finally realize that, it should be no problem to understand why they have dropped it almost entirely now. You simply can't blame the public for this. New decks capable of playing SACD are not cheap. Decks that play DVD-A AND SACD are even less cheap. Another format war and the public cannot be blamed for being skeptical. Audio professionals are caught in this too because things are moving away from a unified approach and frankly unless there IS a unified approach on hi-res then we are all going to have to get used to MP3’s.

And what do the public know anyway? There are still highly respected audio 'experts' who claim that CD audio is BETTER than DVD-Audio and that SACD can't hold a candle to CD. I have to question people's sanity. It’s like denying the existence of global warming! Of the hi-res formats SACD is very much the ‘different’ approach to digital replay and it might be argued that it can't do what CD (or DVD-A) can do but DVD-A is an exact extension of what CD does and therefore MUST be better and that can't be logically argued against. None of this matters to Sony etc. They just want to shift units and, more importantly, control what units are shifted.

The majors could, if they wanted to, put out a unified format and push it as the next logical step in the evolution of audio replay. They did this with CD. They did this with DVD-video. They have that option. But they won't do it. Technology is moving incredibly fast and Blu-ray is almost a thing of the past before it can be properly implemented! At some point there has to come a time when the Majors will call time and go for some format or another and do it together. No other method will get the cash registers ringing again but it has to noted that when such a decision is taken, time will stand still technology-wise for many years because they don't do these things lightly. Whether the chosen format has any multi-channel or surround qualities is beside the point. The public don't want it en masse only because they don't know it. If they were given it, they'd love it.

The truth is this: the 'public' have always, and will continue to buy what they are offered. Advertising works, that's why people advertise. No sane person would buy a gas-guzzling unstable killing machine like an SUV without the pressure of advertising. Much less buy a weird unheard-of audio system that has no familiarity when they can just go with their iPod dashboard docking station. If they are offered nothing but hi-res multi-channel discs then that is what they will buy. If they are offered digital downloads of compressed audio then that is what they will buy. It has nothing whatsoever to do with 'what the public want' at least not in so far as it can be compared with what with the public can buy.

Only the combined might of a unified entertainment industry can deliver a world-wide hi-resolution format that will stick.

Will it happen?

You need to chill out and lose the attitude.
Hey Jason...

First welcome to the forum. Don't know how long you have been around as a lurker but here at QQ it has been pretty well gone over that Sony is completely out of it mind when it comes to the downfall of it own products.

I would agree with Colin when he says that anyone who says Sony did everything they could to get SACD to succeed is just plain nutty. In fact, Sony does everything the opposite. If it doesnt take off they abandon it. Beta, the minidisc, and now SACD. Sure, they may put out a token title or two in the future but in reality if they made it cheaper to master the discs and spend a couple of extra bucks to make the public truly aware of all that SACD had to offer it may have gotten farther. DVD-A has the same problem. And anyone who says that there was enough education and advertising has never been into a Best Buy and seen the vacant look on the faces of the sales associates when you ask then about DVD-A. Of course it's pretty much all too late at this point.

I am as annoyed as Colin is, that's for sure. I am so annoyed that I will not buy another Sony product nor will I be adopting either Blu-Ray or HD-DVD. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice... I'm an asshole... never again.

Given that the producers of SACD and Dvd-a did little to promote their products, maybe we should be happy that we have surround discs at all. If they were that reluctant to make a decent effort to sell their stuff then maybe it's a miracle that we have the 5.1 collections that we do. What's the point of going on and on about it? It's their call as to whether they want to market it.

The bottom line is I'm so glad I have 5.1 to listen to. I was pretty much done with listening to my home system. Then dvd-a and sacd came along. I still remember when I hooked up a make-shift ensemble of speakers and heard 5.1 for the first time. Indescribable. Thank you to all those companies that had anything to do with 5.1.

But you’re missing the point. Sony and their kind don’t care about the sound quality of their product.

Well, they do--in that Sony Legacy and SACD releases have rarely been knocked for sound quality(some of us have quibbles with their remixes of some artists and titles, but that's not relevant to the issue of sound quality, for the most part).

However, since most consumers don't seem to care about sound quality--at least not like nitpicky audiophiles do...:D...well...what can we say? Labels are there to make tons o' money, not cater to a minority.

Even so, Sony didn't invest in and champion SACD just because it was a higher-rez format; as you say, they were also looking for a format that would not be easily copied(though as we know ALL formats can eventually be copied--what can be created can also be anaylsed and then decrypted with time). But expecting the masses to suddenly invest in SACD players, with discs that would not play on any other player--and worse, looked just like the CD's they were used to, and were no cheaper and often a bit more expensive--was asking for the format's failure out of hand.

:ed:

I still think it's ironic that the first I ever heard of DVD-A was through a Columbia House mailing!

Nevertheless, the fact remains that Sony did what Sony always does - try to own everything. They bought Columbia Pictures in the 70's so they'd have exclusive content to sell on Beta cassettes. They bought CBS Records in the 80s so they'd have content for the CDs they were a joint partner in developing. They invented U-Matic so they wouldn't have to pay royalties to JVC. They brought out MiniDisc to try and get people to invest in yet another pre-recorded format. And SACD - well, we all know the story, don't we?

I don't trust Sony. I haven't for a long time, and I probably never will again. When given a choice, I buy hardware from anyone but them. And I will never, ever again invest in a media distribution format that they control. Nuff said.

I have no problem with corporate greed, really. But corporate stupidity... that's another issue.

I shouldn't have to explain such a simple thing, but . . .

Just because someone disagrees with you does not make him stupid. Have you guys ever heard of arguments based on merit as opposed to ad hominem attacks or groupthink?

Man, if Sony is so stupid, seems like some of you guys should start your own corporation. In your corporation, since everyone would be a genius, there'd be no mistakes, you could force consumers to buy anything you wanted to sell whether they wanted it or not, and make tremendous profits.

No sane person would buy a gas-guzzling unstable killing machine like an SUV without the pressure of advertising.

You're obviously believing the press, who love headlining stories like "SUV Runs Over Schoolchildren". No driver, mind you, just the SUV decided it had had enough and was going out on a killing spree.

I hope the irony doesn't escape readers here, that you proclaim everyone can be manipulated into buying anything (Hello, Edsel) but you are silent to manipulations by the press that influence you yourself personally -- witness your hysteria on global warming. If global warming is your idea of science, I shudder to imagine your "understanding" of DSD. LOL!

Jason, take a look under your name over there in the left-hand column. See right under that, where it says "newbie"?

You may have valid points, you may be a highly critical thinker, you might be unequivocally correct - but coming in here, clucking your tongue and tossing around admonitions as you have done will win you no friends.

How about getting to know the members here before you embark on dissecting their perceived flaws? By adopting the holier-than-thou attitude you've been displaying, you're going to make folks discount anything you might say out-of-hand.

Or are you the sort who likes to go to the zoo just to poke the bears with a long stick?

It says Newbie to this forum, it doesn't say I was born yesterday.

And I don't need virtual friends, I have plenty of real ones.

Here, I am interested in pointing out seriously flawed claims advanced by Sony haters and Kool-Aid drinkers. I'm pleased that you recognize that my points are valid. If you can get beyond a "newbie" demonstrating more insight than any "oldie" here, then you can begin with your enlightenment.

I'm pleased that you recognize that my points are valid. If you can get beyond a "newbie" demonstrating more insight than any "oldie" here, then you can begin with your enlightenment.

If you think that you have demonstrated 'more insight than any "oldie" here', you are a more obnoxious asshole than even your previous posts would suggest.

Why don't you go back to your parents' basement and play with whatever it is you kids play with ... and don't forget to take a towel with you. Your mother is getting tired of you disgracing the curtains.

Jason, I have no interest in escalating this exchange into any sort of pissing match with you.

However, you seem intent on maintaining your smug tone of "enlightened superiority," thus devaluing your credibility, as evidenced in your last post. I can only assume you are the sort of social malcontent who goes round attempting to provoke a rise in folks just to satisfy your need for attention.

I will have no further interaction with you. (n)

Jason, I have no interest in escalating this exchange into any sort of pissing match with you.

However, you seem intent on maintaining your smug tone of "enlightened superiority," thus devaluing your credibility, as evidenced in your last post. I can only assume you are the sort of social malcontent who goes round attempting to provoke a rise in folks just to satisfy your need for attention.

I will have no further interaction with you. (n)

OK, so I could have been more tactful. :D Naw, why bother. :D

It's no effort at all to be superior here. All one has to do is look at the heading of this thread to see the level of "discussion" engaged in here.

And then the personal attacks on me and the spouting of foul names, all because I call them as I see them and don't subscribe to the "big bad corporation is the root of all that's wrong with the world" mentality.

Let's get back to the issue at hand:

1) The normal purchaser of audio does not care about DVD-A or SACD except that they're confusing. CD is good enough for this normal purchaser.

2) Sony attempted to educate the vast public and couldn't get them to budge. Then they threw in the towel. Horror of horrors: Sony wanted to make a profit on SACD, but ended up losing money bigtime.

3) A whole lot of people here think they are smarter than Sony. Talk is cheap. Let's see you prove it. Come out with a product that the general public is not interested in, and force them to buy it by spending millions of dollars on advertising. Then get back to me. LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back