NOW tell me Sony are not full of Shit!

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even so, Sony didn't invest in and champion SACD just because it was a higher-rez format; as you say, they were also looking for a format that would not be easily copied(though as we know ALL formats can eventually be copied--what can be created can also be anaylsed and then decrypted with time).

The SACD encryption has never been broken, and the product has been out there since 1999. In an age when computer programs are hacked before their official release date, the security of SACD is nothing short of amazing. Don't hold your breath waiting for someone to decrypt it!

When Sony acquiesced to the demands for compatibility with CD players, and came out with the hybrid disc, they lost their biggest selling point with other record companies.

And then the personal attacks on me and the spouting of foul names, all because I call them as I see them and don't subscribe to the "big bad corporation is the root of all that's wrong with the world" mentality.

Listen Jason, I am a corporate marketing manager with an MBA; so don't think for a minute that I am part of the "big bad corporation is the root of all that's wrong with the world" crowd.

I just object to your signing up here with your 20-something condescending attitude solely to get involved in something you obviously know nothing about.

As for "the personal attacks" and "the spouting of foul names" ... in your own words, I just "call them as I see them".

The SACD encryption has never been broken, and the product has been out there since 1999. In an age when computer programs are hacked before their official release date, the security of SACD is nothing short of amazing. Don't hold your breath waiting for someone to decrypt it!

When Sony acquiesced to the demands for compatibility with CD players, and came out with the hybrid disc, they lost their biggest selling point with other record companies.

No one broke the "code" because no one gives a shit about copying SACD because no one gives a shit about SACD.

This is getting a bit ridiculous. I myself still care about SACD. I just received the Ray Sings Basie Swings SACD. It sounds fantastic. I look forward to these gems that get released. I would have liked a whole lot more mainstream releases but I am happy that I have the 200+ SACD's that I already have in my collection. It doesn't matter whether Sony dropped the ball or not. It's history. Nothing is going to change that. This use to be a great forum when we just mainly discussed releases. Granted there aren't as many now. Frankly, I couldn't afford more frequent SACD releases. Anyway, things are the way they are due to market factors as the average person doesn't care. I don't think that any amount of marketing would have changed that. Even the people that bought surround systems after hearing mine are mainly concerned with DVD-V at this point.

This is getting a bit ridiculous. I myself still care about SACD. I just received the Ray Sings Basie Swings SACD. It sounds fantastic. I look forward to these gems that get released. I would have liked a whole lot more mainstream releases but I am happy that I have the 200+ SACD's that I already have in my collection. It doesn't matter whether Sony dropped the ball or not. It's history. Nothing is going to change that. This use to be a great forum when we just mainly discussed releases. Granted there aren't as many now. Frankly, I couldn't afford more frequent SACD releases. Anyway, things are the way they are due to market factors as the average person doesn't care. I don't think that any amount of marketing would have changed that. Even the people that bought surround systems after hearing mine are many concerned with DVD-V at this point.

Well said Guy. (y) There lies the real issue. :mad:

For what it's worth, I think Sony did a lousy job of marketing SACD to the masses. Their biggest failure was using the exact same marketing plan that they used when they introduced CDs, all the while ignoring the fact that the landscape had drastically changed. I wrote a paper on this very topic for a marketing class when I got my MBA. I'm not saying that makes it "true" but my opinion is backed with some pretty extensive research. Sony's consolation prize is that they secured the audiophile market in no uncertain terms, not that it did them any good, but it sure helped dozens of boutique audiophile labels.

But hey, I don't want to stir the pot. Play nice you guys or the thread gets closed.

Anyway, things are the way they are due to market factors as the average person doesn't care. I don't think that any amount of marketing would have changed that.

Exactly what I said, so I couldn't agree with you more. :banana:

Something that really surprised me about the reception of SACD and DVD-A was the outright hostility towards them by many audiophiles. Both formats were attacked by CD fans as no better than CD, and by LP fans as still not as good as vinyl.

Exactly what I said, so I couldn't agree with you more. :banana:

Something that really surprised me about the reception of SACD and DVD-A was the outright hostility towards them by many audiophiles. Both formats were attacked by CD fans as no better than CD, and by LP fans as still not as good as vinyl.

That is the nature of the audiophile 'community'. It is full of extremes and absolutes. Just go somewhere and start a tubes versus solid state discussion. Yikes!

See Cai, we can play nice ... but you are still a poop! :D

Jason;67170Both formats were attacked by CD fans as no better than CD said:
I think a lot of audiophiles have tons of money in stereo equipment and the thought of a surround format was just too daunting. Too much outlay in $ for the extra equipment at the same level they perceived that they had. As far as vinyl is concerned, I am firmly digital. However, what is really wrong with being able to play everything in different formats? I still have hundreds of LP's. I just haven't played them in years.

University of Washington TMMBA grad here. Already had a computer science degree and decided I better get some biz chops in.
Yessir!

I started out with a Science Major as well at York University (in Toronto) before I decided on the business thing. Since then I have been a Computer Operator, Computer Programmer, Project Manager, Systems Analyst, Business Analyst, Manager of 22 people in a Programming environment and everything else. Sounds like a consultant kind of thing.......

I started out with a Science Major as well at York University (in Toronto) before I decided on the business thing. Since then I have been a Computer Operator, Computer Programmer, Project Manager, Systems Analyst, Business Analsyst, Manager of 22 people in a Programming environment and everything else. Sounds like a consultant kind of thing.......
I started out as a computer programmer for a financial services firm. I thought it would be a temporary gig but ended up heading the department with nil business knowledge. I tried the osmosis route to acquiring business knowledge but this fish ended up having to find his water through more conventional channels. :D

Getting an MBA was the best thing I ever did for my career.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back