Now that Sony controls all of Paul Simon's stuff ----

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvl_guy

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
QQ Supporter
Greenville, SC (via NJ, Philly, ATL & SoFL)
Yes, Sony controls it all, including all the Simon & Garfunkel stuff he owned. I'd love to see some S&G and PS stuff out in some of those cool "min album" series! :51QQ

You probably need a subscription to the NY Times for this link but:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/31/arts/music/paul-simon-catalog-sony.html
Paul Simon has sold his entire songwriting catalog — including classics like “Bridge Over Troubled Water,” “The Sound of Silence” and “Still Crazy After All These Years” — to Sony Music Publishing, in the latest blockbuster transaction in the music publishing business.
In its announcement of the deal on Wednesday, Sony gave few details, other than it was acquiring the “complete collection” of Simon’s compositions, including his work with Simon and Garfunkel and his solo material.
The database of BMI, the performing rights organization that Simon is affiliated with, lists more than 400 titles under his name.

Yes, Sony controls it all, including all the Simon & Garfunkel stuff he owned. I'd love to see some S&G and PS stuff out in some of those cool "min album" series! :51QQ

You probably need a subscription to the NY Times for this link but:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/31/arts/music/paul-simon-catalog-sony.html
Paul Simon has sold his entire songwriting catalog — including classics like “Bridge Over Troubled Water,” “The Sound of Silence” and “Still Crazy After All These Years” — to Sony Music Publishing, in the latest blockbuster transaction in the music publishing business.
In its announcement of the deal on Wednesday, Sony gave few details, other than it was acquiring the “complete collection” of Simon’s compositions, including his work with Simon and Garfunkel and his solo material.
The database of BMI, the performing rights organization that Simon is affiliated with, lists more than 400 titles under his name.

I'm gonna assume this is not an April Fool's joke. Still, this is only publishing, right? Songwriting royalties. Does he still get veto power over reissues of the mechanical recordings? Sony already held the rights to that catalog (at least the Columbia portion).

The deal covers the actual ownership of the songs. Also, according to the article, Sony already owns the sound recordings rights.

Quote:
The deal covers the copyrights for songwriting, which are separate from those for recordings.

Quote:
Sony already controls Simon’s recorded music catalog, including both his solo work and his albums with Simon and Garfunkel.

I'm gonna assume this is not an April Fool's joke. Still, this is only publishing, right? Songwriting royalties. Does he still get veto power over reissues of the mechanical recordings? Sony already held the rights to that catalog (at least the Columbia portion).

The deal covers the copyrights for songwriting, which are separate from those for recordings. Simon had full ownership of his catalog, and Sony purchased 100 percent of the rights to his songs. That means that any future earnings from those songs — including the income that would have previously gone to Simon as both songwriter and copyright owner — will go to Sony.

The deal covers the copyrights for songwriting, which are separate from those for recordings. Simon had full ownership of his catalog, and Sony purchased 100 percent of the rights to his songs. That means that any future earnings from those songs — including the income that would have previously gone to Simon as both songwriter and copyright owner — will go to Sony.
One would think that SONY would jump on reissuing each of those quads as part of some box sets. They would sell very well. Gotta be more profitable than what they are receiving from MoFi for single albums.

One would think that SONY would jump on reissuing each of those quads as part of some box sets. They would sell very well. Gotta be more profitable than what they are receiving from MoFi for single albums.

It's good to dream....the chances are greater for you to hear those songs on commercials :hi

And movies.

I was thinking they could use the song, Love Me Like A Rock, in a future animated movie about a family of rocks. :love:
proxy-image.jpeg-1.jpg

As Simon was never thrilled with the various surround remixes of GRACELAND [an early DDD Recording], he should hire Steve Wilson to do the honors, possibly an ATMOS mix and finally get it out there!

I never bought Graceland in stereo. Wanna see me buy it? Release it in surround!

Simon allegedly put the kibosh on Japanese Sony's multi-channel SACD of Bridge Over Troubled Water. The odds of hearing his first three post-S&G solo albums in digital surround seem pretty remote. Too bad!

Back