HiRez Poll Numan, Gary - ANTHOLOGY [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Gary Numan - ANTHOLOGY

• Total voters

JonUrban

Forum Curmudgeon
Staff member
Admin
Since 2002/2003
Please post your thoughts and/or comments on this disc (y) :phones (n)

Here is a typical example of a Silverline cookie-cutter surround release. The recipe is as follows:

1. Take stereo "master" tapes of questionable lineage.
2. Route said tapes through a "stereo to surround" processor with stock settings; no consideration for individual song presentation.
3. Dump the results onto a "hi-rez" DVD-A disc with no stereo option.
4. Wait for Joe Six-Pack to pick it up and automatically assume he will be happy with it.

Gary Numan "Anthology" follows this recipe to a "T". There is no deviation in sound presentation and the entire disc has an annoying "sameness" to its audio presentation. The sound is typified by an overtly "digital" sound drenched in reverb. It sounds kinda cool for about two minutes but quickly degenerates into an annoying cacophony of noise. Resolution and detail are lost in a mush of generic and unfortunate "surround sound" settings. This is cookie-cutter fake surround at (nearly) its worst. I would say that it is the worst, but unfortunately I can point to other Silverline dreck that is (surprisingly) much worse.

To add insult to injury, the one single song that a casual Gary Numan listener might wish to hear is missing from this "Anthology". Specifically, the original studio version of the song "Cars" is conspicuous in its absence from this collection. Instead, we are given the "live" version. Yippee.

I would rather not waste any more energy analyzing this dreck. This disc is beyond generic and ultimately annoying. It's only redeeming value is that you can pop it in and randomly select a track. It provides entertainment for approximately two minutes but beyond that you'll be reaching for the eject button.

This title rates a generous three points. The only saving grace is the music, but you'll be much better off tracking down Gary Numan's original LPs or CDs. As both a surround release and an "anthology" this disc is an utter waste.

Ick. What a waste. I had actually picked this up in the store with the intention to buy before remembering the fabled Silverline rep. Glad I did...

These days I won't touch a Silverline title unless someone really praises it up...they do have some genuinely discreet and good titles, but, so far, not much worth anything in the catalog department.

I'm not surprised by your comments, Cai....I don't see the point to what Silverline does, gives hi-rez and multi-channel a bad name....

ED

Ed Bishop said:
I'm not surprised by your comments, Cai....I don't see the point to what Silverline does, gives hi-rez and multi-channel a bad name....
It is truly mind-bogging, especially considering they throw down an ace every once in a while. Their marketing strategy is well beyond my comprehension.

Cai Campbell said:
It is truly mind-bogging, especially considering they throw down an ace every once in a while. Their marketing strategy is well beyond my comprehension.

These guys think numbers rather quality. It is hard to get all these bands or labels or owners of content to release material. They started as a surround label, you would think they would like to get known for surround, and release product worthiness of praise. Ignore crappy mixes. Weird company.

Bringing back a thread from the dead...I just picked up this title as a Dual-Disc for $2 (plus tax) at Fry's Electronics. I figured $2 is what I'd be willing to pay for a Silverline disc.

The DVD side is DVD-Audio 96/24. The mix (at least the samples I tried) is mush with not a discrete point to be found in the multichannel mix. If I were Rich Fowler, I'd have asked that my name not be put in the packaging under "mixed by". Maybe there is a witness protection program for the Silverline mixer people.

On the CD side, of course one of my players wouldn't play it because it is a dual disc. However, the stereo mix is really good. Very smooth and nicely localized instruments and vocals. Unfortunately, even on the CD side, the version of Cars is the live version and not the studio version.

I'll have to listen all of both sides before giving a rating. It's too bad they didn't simply extend the stereo mix for the multichannel rather than trying (apparently with great difficulty) to diffuse it. Ah, Silverline...

We need 3 more votes for this!
I went with a 3. Could have been a 1 or 2, I feel it's pretty worthless, but the content is still Gary Numan. I hadn't heard all these songs, so I'm at least grateful for the exposure.
It's a bit insulting that the only special features are an "About DVDA" writeup and a speaker test. They want to make sure you get all there is to get, sonically, out of this title. lol
But, anyway. AVOID.

Back