Odroid N2: How to Setup and Install Kodi

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two quick questions if I may (I can elaborate later on):

1) I have a PS3 remote control lying around - could I possibly use it for Odroid? I happen to have a bluetooth dongle that is working fine with a Microsoft mouse already, no setting up needed, and I suppose that using BlueZ could be a way, but that's it for me now trying on my own.

2) One of my favourite features is rating tracks and creating playlists on the fly. Now, is there an easy way to make the rating permanent (to tag on the fly)? Once I'm forced to re-route my HDD source, they're gone. (I'm currently using Yatse app remote control.)

Two quick questions if I may (I can elaborate later on):

1) I have a PS3 remote control lying around - could I possibly use it for Odroid? I happen to have a bluetooth dongle that is working fine with a Microsoft mouse already, no setting up needed, and I suppose that using BlueZ could be a way, but that's it for me now trying on my own.

2) One of my favourite features is rating tracks and creating playlists on the fly. Now, is there an easy way to make the rating permanent (to tag on the fly)? Once I'm forced to re-route my HDD source, they're gone. (I'm currently using Yatse app remote control.)

1) Possible, but you need to work it out well:
https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Set_up_PS3_BD_Remote
2) Sorry, you just named the two thing i'll never do or did anytime. Maybe i'm a too old fart, i'm strongly album-oriented.

There probably isn’t Linux drivers available in CoreElec.

The Minix A2 is a very good Radio Frequency remote with drivers built into CoreElec. It’s only around $20 odd from Amazon. It comes with a USB dongle.

You can create playlists on the fly using one of the Kodi smartphone or tablet app (Android or iOS). You can probably do it with a remote control but I’ve never used that feature with a remote.

I use the Kodi Music Remote Pro app on my iPad. It’s fantastic for creating and modifying the current playlist. You can also jump to various websites for the current artist or album. It shows the data on the iPad while Kodi continues to play its playlist. This app also allows you to insert tracks at end or next in playlist, change order, add an entire album etc. There’s a demo I did here in this sub-forum on QQ.

Last edited:
I use the Kodi Music Remote Pro app on my iPad. It’s fantastic for creating and modifying the current playlist. You can also jump to various websites for the current artist or album. It shows the data on the iPad while Kodi continues to play its playlist. This app also allows you to insert tracks at end or next in playlist, change order, add ant entire album etc. There’s a demo I did here in this sub-forum on QQ.
Thanks, got it (missed it before):
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...or-kodi-apps-for-tablets-win10-and-mac.23013/

One correction

On the XML file above, i suggest to change
<audio>
<minimumsamplerate>48000</minimumsamplerate>
<excludefromscan>

to

<audio>
<minimumsamplerate>44100</minimumsamplerate>
<excludefromscan>

in order to play correctly 44100 sources without resampling.

I've read

https://kodi.wiki/view/Update_Music_Library#Exclude_Song_Types
so it should be possible, at least for the begin (need a month and a spare HDD to change the tag way on the actual library), to exclude .flac files from library indexing and force only a .cue reading for tags .

So i added on the advancedsettings.xml the lines

<musicextensions>
<add>.cue</add>
<remove>.flac|.wav</remove>
</musicextensions>

placed the file in the userdata folder, cancelled the old library, reboot, rescan... and no effect. Files are indexed not looking only at the cue but only at the audio file tags.

I'm using as a test drive a thumbdrive with three mch album:
one that has the correct tags ONLY in the cue, so if it loads the tags from the separate tracks it's very clear
one that is a cue+single big file (that doesn't show the folder.jpg cover too)
one that is a compilation album in which the cue has the correct album infos and the single tracks have their original-album-sourced infos.

I have read on the forum that the music scraping has been changed a lot from v17 to v18, but the wiki is basically v17. Better to wait for updates in the wiki, or some suggestion?

I’d recommend you post on the Kodi forum in the Music Support section. The main Kodi music developer (Dave Blake) will probably reply and tell you exactly what’s required for you to use CUE files and not tagged files.

I’m sorry I can’t help you as I use tagged files exclusively for FLAC. Only cue for MKA (for Atmos music). Actually, I think for those to work the MKA files must have no tags, then the CUE works. Maybe try with tags removed from your FLACs?

BTW: I did not change anything in my advanced settings for CUE to work with MKA, just removed the tags from mka

I'm using as a test drive a thumbdrive with three mch album:
one that has the correct tags ONLY in the cue, so if it loads the tags from the separate tracks it's very clear
one that is a cue+single big file (that doesn't show the folder.jpg cover too)
one that is a compilation album in which the cue has the correct album infos and the single tracks have their original-album-sourced infos.

I was just looking at this thread as I’ve ordered a new Odroid C4 to use as a media player (cheaper than the N2 but a little slower). I’ll do a new thread on set up once it arrives.

Cue files in Kodi: Foobar will convert a cue to individual FLAC files using the tags in the cue. That would be relatively painless. I did this today for an album, it’s pretty fast but you need to select each cue but you can select multiple cues and do a batch conversion. So a few minutes selecting each cue then walk away and all the albums get converted in sequence.

I was just looking at this thread as I’ve ordered a new Odroid C4 to use as a media player (cheaper than the N2 but a little slower). I’ll do a new thread on set up once it arrives.

This new Odroid C4 still hasn’t arrived. When it does I’m going to make a downloadable image of the system fully set up and configured for MCH music playback with CoreElec, Kodi addons such as ArtistSlideshow, Aeon Nox Silvo skin and my QQ Media Logo and channel, codec display mod I published here on QQ.

This would enable a user to setup a new C4 fully be just installing the image during the setup instead of the CoreElec image (As described earlier in this thread). Once installed all you need to do is plug-in a USB drive and tell Kodi which folder has your music files (and your music video folder). Simple.

I’ll do the same for the Odroid N2. The Images will probably be quite large files, 8GB, but it will simplify setting up one of these Odroid media players significantly for a first time user.

This new Odroid C4 still hasn’t arrived. When it does I’m going to make a downloadable image of the system fully set up and configured for MCH music playback with CoreElec, Kodi addons such as ArtistSlideshow, Aeon Nox Silvo skin and my QQ Media Logo and channel, codec display mod I published here on QQ.

This would enable a user to setup a new C4 fully be just installing the image during the setup instead of the CoreElec image (As described earlier in this thread). Once installed all you need to do is plug-in a USB drive and tell Kodi which folder has your music files (and your music video folder). Simple.

I’ll do the same for the Odroid N2. The Images will probably be quite large files, 8GB, but it will simplify setting up one of these Odroid media players significantly for a first time user.

Where do you plan on purchasing it so I can keep an eye out for one? Thanks!

I bought mine from Ameridroid in US. It shipped about 2 weeks ago. No doubt CV is causing a delay, or mail system here is choked with everyone buying online. Shipping fro US will be backed up I’d imagine, so not in a panic yet.

I’ll create a new thread on buying/setting up a C4. It’s about 20USD cheaper than N2 but just a little slower, probably not noticeable.

I've received my Odroid N2 with CoreElec & 64GB eMMC, so earlier I was just sitting there wondering how to go about setting it up, and then I see this on QQ, excellent, as I'm very very rusty with Linux!
Edit: CoreElec is preinstalled

Excellent Duncan!

We can try and see if my idea works. I’ll make an image from my N2 and post a link. I might need a couple of days as I’m finishing some code for MMH today. Are you in a hurry? I’ll test here before I post BTW. :)

The image will overwrite your installation. You’ll need a SD card, 8GB min. The procedure will create a bootable CoreElec (Linux) image on the SSD. Then you transfer the SSD image to the eMMC card, overwriting your current image. Nothing is required except an spare SD card and software on your PC to connect to the N2 to transfer the image from SD to eMMC. That’s software is mentioned here in this thread: Rufus and Putty.

Excellent Duncan!

We can try and see if my idea works. I’ll make an image from my N2 and post a link. I might need a couple of days as I’m finishing some code for MMH today. Are you in a hurry? I’ll test here before I post BTW. :)
No hurry it's a when I get round to it project!

Back