Off-Topic Posts from the Chicago Quadio Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HEATHEN!

Never will the legendary Alan Parsons mix will be dethroned!!!!!

The Chicago mixes are great, but this is quantity over quality-not saying that the Chicago mixes are not great but they are not BRILLIANT/GENIUS painstakingly produced as AP's DSOTM mix.

And content wise..."Saturday in the park" is no "Breathe", that's way beyond apples and oranges...

Now, get down and give me twenty!!!!

Well, I'm going to vote 7 and that'll put DSOTM back on top! :)

HEATHEN!

Never will the legendary Alan Parsons mix will be dethroned!!!!!

The Chicago mixes are great, but this is quantity over quality-not saying that the Chicago mixes are not great but they are not BRILLIANT/GENIUS painstakingly produced as AP's DSOTM mix.

And content wise..."Saturday in the park" is no "Breathe", that's way beyond apples and oranges...

While I agree...in general....you really cannot compare a box set of 9 Chicago Quads versus a single Pink Floyd mix. To say this Chicago box is better than DSOTM is probably not fair. I would never say that......as you say. Not apples to apples. But...that doesn't mean I won't give this box a super high score...cause I probably will. But I still hold DSOTM in the highest regard for content, mix......blow you mind-ness! :)

I also tend to agree with those who say that this Chicago set represents a sum that is greater than its individual parts, cause I know if I compared any disc in this Chicago set vs other Blu-Ray audio discs in a one-on-one matchup, the Chicago disc would not always win.
And since we're talking about the "Dark Side of the Moon" Blu-Ray too, I believe that is a disc where you have to look beyond just the surround audio to understand that it has a lot to offer. Besides the high-res stereo, Quad, and 5.1 mixes, there's 2 live performance films, a 25 min. documentary EPK, and 3 sets of screen films used during the 74-75 tour for "Dark Side…", all of which have 5.1 audio accompanying them.
So that's a disc that definitely wins IMHO in a head-to-head matchup against any single Chicago disc, but of course, when you put all the Chicago discs together, it clearly represents better value for money when compared against the "Dark Side…" Immersion set.
:)

Is Guthrie working on The Wall​ in 5.1?

Yes he is, although no time frame has been given for its completion, but just like Led Zeppelin, 5 years to us is 5 minutes to Pink Floyd, so it could be a while before it becomes a release…

Perhaps one day we'll have a Pink Floyd Surround boxset of ALL their albums but at the painstaking way they're being released (the WALL is taking forever), some of us may not be around to enjoy it.

I think I will be dead by the time that happens, and if so, then the rest of you on here definitely do not stand a chance! :ugham:

Perhaps one day we'll have a Pink Floyd Surround boxset of ALL their albums but at the painstaking way they're being released (the WALL is taking forever), some of us may not be around to enjoy it.

A Pink Floyd set of all their albums with mixes as good as these Quadio mixes would reign supreme for eternity! (But I'm not so sure that James Guthrie mixes are up to par with these Chicago Quad mixes!)

The vocabulary word for today is gris·tle - cartilage, especially when found as tough, inedible tissue in meat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:smokin
?..
I think I will be dead by the time that happens, and if so, then the rest of you on here definitely do not stand a chance!

I wouldn't bet on that Ryan. You do live in a country where anyone, including neighbours, family and friends can buy automatic weapons :smokin

:smokin

I wouldn't bet on that Ryan. You do live in a country where anyone, including neighbours, family and friends can buy automatic weapons :smokin

Well, isn't that a HAPPY thought?:yikes

Although it's been said that 'rt' is HIGHLY proficient at Kangaroo boxing:ugham:

Well, I'm going to vote 7 and that'll put DSOTM back on top! :)

Not so fast..hehe...I have been patiently holding back my vote on DSOTM...I will launch a counter strike(low vote) on the DSOTM blu ray poll.....for retribution for the "sabotage" of the original DSOTM SACD poll by the SACD/Guthrie haters..I will finally have my revenge:)

HEATHEN!

Never will the legendary Alan Parsons mix be dethroned!!!!!

Agreed. IMHO the AP Quad of DSOTM is a better overall experience than any of the Chicago releases in the Quadio set. The ones I've heard so far are uniformly excellent, but none are DSOTM.

Agreed. IMHO the AP Quad of DSOTM is a better overall experience than any of the Chicago releases in the Quadio set. The ones I've heard so far are uniformly excellent, but none are DSOTM.

I think the CONTENT is legendary and that is what garners all of the praise...NOT necessarily the MIX...let's not forget that the band opted for the Guthrie mix over AP's mix when it came time to release it:)

I think the CONTENT is legendary and that is what garners all of the praise...NOT necessarily the MIX...let's not forget that the band opted for the Guthrie mix over AP's mix when it came time to release it:)

Yes. Its all about the content with the mix being secondary (but still excellent). I do not have the full blown DSOTM box set, only the stand alone SACD, but didn't the box also include the original AP quad mix as well as the new Guthrie 5.1? I know it did for WYWH (for which I do have the full box). At any rate, I think they were dead set on re-mixing a new version regardless of having an existing 4.0 mix or not. Guthrie did improve on the overall sound, he just didn't improve on the mix.

Yes. Its all about the content with the mix being secondary (but still excellent). I do not have the full blown DSOTM box set, only the stand alone SACD, but didn't the box also include the original AP quad mix as well as the new Guthrie 5.1? I know it did for WYWH (for which I do have the full box). At any rate, I think they were dead set on re-mixing a new version regardless of having an existing 4.0 mix or not. Guthrie did improve on the overall sound, he just didn't improve on the mix.

Yes the box set has both mixes...I'm not saying the AP mix isn't excellent...but if you really pin down MOST people they will admit that the content is what makes it great...not the mix...the content is so good it would be great in just stereo..

HEATHEN!

Never will the legendary Alan Parsons mix be dethroned!!!!!

I have to agree with kap'n. But I still love this box set. And I agree it's what all future boxes SHOULD be measured by.

A Pink Floyd set of all their albums with mixes as good as these Quadio mixes would reign supreme for eternity! (But I'm not so sure that James Guthrie mixes are up to par with these Chicago Quad mixes!)

And take forever as well. Andy Jackson/Alan Parsons collaboration would suit me juuust fine.

And take forever as well. Andy Jackson/Alan Parsons collaboration would suit me juuust fine.

Yeah but I doubt David and Roger would both approve of Alan Parsons to remix the Pink Floyd catalogue in surround, especially since they didn't even approve using Parsons' original DSOTM Quad mix for the 2003 SACD release.
Andy Jackson is a different case in that it's very obvious that David loves working with him, as he's the main person that's recorded and mixed the last three major albums for David ("On An Island", "The Endless River" and "Rattle That Lock", plus creating the surround mix for "The Division Bell" all those years ago), but at the same time, it's very obvious that Roger loves working with James Guthrie, including recently on the surround mix for "Amused to Death" and the music mixing for "The Wall" live film.
I've always assumed that anything before and including "The Final Cut" was Guthrie's territory and the only one that Andy Jackson could mix would be "A Momentary Lapse of Reason", and I still stand by that mode of thinking.

But hey, this is a Chicago thread, so let's talk some more about "Quadio", shall we?! :)

Back