Off-Topic Posts from the Chicago Quadio Thread

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~dave~~wave~

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
This release got me googling Caribou Ranch recording studio, where everything from Chicago VI on was recorded.
There's a Dick Clark special from '73 on YouTube showing them working there, Al Green guests: https://youtu.be/B98vT8GLFjs?t=7m22s

I can well remember stopping in tiny Nederland in 1970 and seeing the sign "Only two hippies allowed in the store at a time."

Selected albums recorded or mixed at Caribou Ranch:

* Barnstorm, 1972, Joe Walsh
* The Smoker You Drink the Player You Get, 1973, Joe Walsh, (single, Rocky Mountain Way)
* Down the Road, 1973, Manassas, with Stephen Stills (single, Isn't It About Time)
* All American Boy, 1973, Rick Derringer (single, Rock 'n' Roll Hootchie Koo)
* Chicago VI, 1973, Chicago, (singles, Feelin' Stronger Every Day, Just You 'N' Me)
* Caribou, 1974, Elton John
* Chicago VII, 1974 (single, Wishin' You Were Here)
* Captain Fantastic and the Brown Dirt Cowboy, 1975, Elton John
* Trouble in Paradise, 1975, Souther-Hillman-Furay Band
* Open Our Eyes, 1975, Earth Wind and Fire, included the song Caribou
* That's the Way of the World, 1975, Earth Wind and Fire

* One Size Fits All, 1975, Frank Zappa
* Blue Sky, Night Thunder, 1975, Michael Martin Murphey (single, Wildfire)
* Illegal Stills, 1976, Stephen Stills
* Hideaway, 1976, America
* A Night on the Town 1976, Rod Stewart (single, Tonight's the Night)
* Chicago X, 1976 (single, If You Leave Me Now)
* Wired, 1976, Jeff Beck
* Even in the Quietest Moments, 1977, Supertramp (single, Give a Little Bit)
* Simple Things, 1977, Carole King
* Pacific Ocean Blue, 1977, Dennis Wilson

* Chicago VI, 1973, Chicago, (singles, Feelin' Stronger Every Day, Just You 'N' Me)

* Wired, 1976, Jeff Beck
Bolded denotes vintage quad mix?

Bolded denotes vintage quad mix?

Well, The Elton John albums were not released in Quad, although "Captain Fantastic" was released as a 5.1 SACD and "Caribou" was also mixed in 5.1, though it hasn't been released yet… :mad: :mad: :mad:
The others were mixed and released in Quad, but there's more from that list that haven't been bolded out. Below:
* The Smoker You Drink the Player You Get, 1973, Joe Walsh, (single, Rocky Mountain Way)

So it appears it definitely was a very Quad-oriented studio! :) :banana:

This release got me googling Caribou Ranch recording studio, where everything from Chicago VI on was recorded.
There's a Dick Clark special from '73 on YouTube showing them working there, Al Green guests: https://youtu.be/B98vT8GLFjs?t=7m22s

I can well remember stopping in tiny Nederland in 1970 and seeing the sign "Only two hippies allowed in the store at a time."

Selected albums recorded or mixed at Caribou Ranch:

* Barnstorm, 1972, Joe Walsh
* Down the Road, 1973, Manassas, with Stephen Stills (single, Isn't It About Time)

* One Size Fits All, 1975, Frank Zappa
* Blue Sky, Night Thunder, 1975, Michael Martin Murphey (single, Wildfire)
* Illegal Stills, 1976, Stephen Stills
* Hideaway, 1976, America
* A Night on the Town 1976, Rod Stewart (single, Tonight's the Night)
* Wired, 1976, Jeff Beck
* Even in the Quietest Moments, 1977, Supertramp (single, Give a Little Bit)
* Simple Things, 1977, Carole King
* Pacific Ocean Blue, 1977, Dennis Wilson

Great list! Some of my all-time favourites albums are on that list!

You missed out Elton's "Rock Of The Westies" (1975) btw :)

Well, The Elton John albums were not released in Quad, although "Captain Fantastic" was released as a 5.1 SACD and "Caribou" was also mixed in 5.1, though it hasn't been released yet… :mad: :mad: :mad:
The others were mixed and released in Quad, but there's more from that list that haven't been bolded out. Below:

So it appears it definitely was a very Quad-oriented studio! :) :banana:

Lot of snow up in them mountains an' all.. sniff.. quite apart from the unreleased Greg Penny 5.1 mix of "Caribou", apparently there was also a Quad mix of Elton's "Caribou" album, some fan purports to have it on a CD or something (I'm guessing a downmix.. or just as likely hoax/vaporware) remember I posted a screen grab of it (and the Madman album Quad) on QQ a little while back?

Lot of snow up in them mountains an' all.. sniff.. quite apart from the unreleased Greg Penny 5.1 mix of "Caribou", apparently there was also a Quad mix of Elton's "Caribou" album, some fan purports to have it on a CD or something (I'm guessing a downmix.. or just as likely hoax/vaporware) remember I posted a screen grab of it (and the Madman album Quad) on QQ a little while back?

Check it out..
(at the bottom where it says "Disc 1: Remixes from Quad Tape")

http://www.geocities.co.jp/MusicStar...ernate_Caribou

hahaha - Geez...... :banana:

Lot of snow up in them mountains an' all.. sniff..
Wild times no doubt, especially in those years.
There was a lot of money and temptation thrown at a lot of naive young artists.
The record speaks for itself as far as the important work that got done amid the hi-jinks.

It wasn't all rockers, Christian artist Amy Grant was one of the last customers before the fire closed them down.
JW Guercio is quoted as saying a reason he declined to rebuild was so he could raise his kids on the property without exposing them to untoward rock star excess.

The going rate was $16,000 a week for 10 guests with 24-hour access and support for 24-track recording.
Meals, lodging, limos, horses, snowmobiles etc. included.
Only extra charges were for tape media and long distance telephone.

Stephen Stills thought it was too expensive, Guercio claims he never made a profit there.

“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.
There's also a negative side.”
- Hunter S. Thompson

I always thought he sang electric boobs!

haha

Oh he does sing boobs! In my head!

Altogether now; "Captain Zaptastic... raised on boobs electric.."

So, talking of boobs.. are you a leg or a breast man, Spock?
I'm a fan of chicken wings personally but just about any part of the birds tasty, including those juicy thighs.. skip the giblets and the parsons' nose and we're in business!

Chicken and Frog go to the Library..
"Bok bok bok!" cries the Chicken
"Reddit! Reddit! Reddit!" says the Frog.
They leave the Library empty handed.

Ahhh.. it's the way ya tell 'em.. :ugham:

I had mentioned this over on SH, with BD-A being a player in hi res music (though most of us would like to see more I'm sure) now, it would be nice if there was a standard on how to access the audio options and list it on the packaging. Many now, like the Chicago Quadio set, use the colour coded buttons on the blu ray remote to reference either the stereo or MC options, which is great. The problem is it needs to be mentioned on the packaging (some are already doing this) so people will know which colour does what without using a display. I think it would go a long way for BD to be an SACD competitor. (y)
you gotta be kidding?
i cannot switch between surround and stereo streams on SACDs on the fly. need to get into player setting and select which one you prefer.
all DVD-A and BD-A beside "on screen" menu for selection of audio streams, has option to switch between audio during playback by using "Audio" button on remote control.

It is really very simple. There is an Audio button on the remote for the player which cycles through all the audio options available at that point.

you gotta be kidding?
i cannot switch between surround and stereo streams on SACDs on the fly. need to get into player setting and select which one you prefer.
all DVD-A and BD-A beside "on screen" menu for selection of audio streams, has option to switch between audio during playback by using "Audio" button on remote control.

Hmm.. I can switch between Stereo and MultiCh with SACDs on my Cambridge Audio BDP.. Its not quite on the fly, it just starts that track all over again from the top of the song.. but it works by just pressing the "Audio" button on the remote..

Its a conspiracy! :yikes

I've always held Darkside (quad) as the standard by which all surround mixes are compared, but I have to say... if I lived in a universe where I was faced with the choice between two discs/sets to listen to for the rest of my life, I'd take the Chicago Quadio over the Darkside Blu-ray!

Perhaps one day we'll have a Pink Floyd Surround boxset of ALL their albums but at the painstaking way they're being released (the WALL is taking forever), some of us may not be around to enjoy it.

Dark Side of the Moon has been De-throned!!! Unbelievable... yet, warranted.

HEATHEN!

Never will the legendary Alan Parsons mix be dethroned!!!!!

The Chicago mixes are great, but this is quantity over quality-not saying that the Chicago mixes are not great but they are not BRILLIANT/GENIUS painstakingly produced as AP's DSOTM mix.

And content wise..."Saturday in the park" is no "Breathe", that's way beyond apples and oranges...

Now, get down and give me twenty!!!!

Last edited:
Back