OFFICIAL Vehicles with Factory Surround Systems

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man 5.1 flac playback would be a dream. I'm guessing from the comments it doesn't do 88.2 or 96khz flac's? It would be a pain to downconvert them all to 48. I'm still enjoying my 2012 Hyundai Genesis which plays any kind of dvd-audio I throw at it, even burned with Imgburn. I wish the car had a bit more bass, but other than that the audio system is enjoyable. I'll have to check out the new cars coming out, I won't replace the Genesis until something better comes out to play my surround collection.

I just happened to have my drive right here as I was updating it. Here are the stats:

500Gb Drive, 465Gb usable
189Gb Used - 131 24/48 5.1 albums (some doubles included)
276Gb Free

So yeah, I would guess maybe 300 albums
I bought the same drive but in the 1TB version I have 328 albums on it currently with 502GB used and 428GB available. Total usable space 931GB Those are all 5.1 FLAC - no stereo files

I bought the same drive but in the 1TB version I have 328 albums on it currently with 502GB used and 428GB available. Total usable space 931GB Those are all 5.1 FLAC - no stereo files
Is there a slow lag time with the directory? I have only tested 10 albums on a small thumb drive on my buddy's car, we were very impressed. I am so ready to be able to do this when a get a car switch, (probably 2 years out).

So there is a bit of lag. Especially when adding new titles but once the drive is read it’s pretty good

I built my own, when I was still single and had a Delica 4wd van, but that's what an avid inventor does isn't it,
(as no one can be expected to know how many surround / main ( All-Around™ ) channels that I want to work with).

In my testing room / ex-studio now house
(it's long since been converted into a home by the presence of a female counterpart - to the single old inventor who ruled his own castle - when alone a few years ago)
;-)
As for speakers in anything ..
25 mains - (plus an additional seven sub-woofers) is my best so far with a small finite number of just 88 speakers inside 64 cabinets, running the 25 bare / full frequency master channels

Youtube has a view of it "playing" - the tune of the YouTube national anthem - Dreams(es)cape 007

Apart from the old Delica - I haven't found anything since that died, to put a LOT of speakers inside
(oh and my new life partner hates my musical creations - or loud music of any sort - pity but - as she's a nice woman apart from that - and a few other foibles) ;-)

Went to demo some 5.1 Flac files in the Tesla Model 3 a few days ago... 🚗⚡ Unfortunately despite having a so claimed 'immersive' sound system - I could only get it to play the LF and RF channels from a 5.1 speaker test file... Silence from the other channels as the voice went around. Selecting a music track meant an upmix into the other speakers (there's a hidden centre). I tried wav as well with the same result...

I guess you'll need whoopee cushion mode for true immersive audio?! :)

Went to demo some 5.1 Flac files in the Tesla Model 3 a few days ago... 🚗⚡ Unfortunately despite having a so claimed 'immersive' sound system - I could only get it to play the LF and RF channels from a 5.1 speaker test file... Silence from the other channels as the voice went around. Selecting a music track meant an upmix into the other speakers (there's a hidden centre). I tried wav as well with the same result...

I guess you'll need whoopee cushion mode for true immersive audio?! :)
Or a large can of beans for lunch🥴 , come on Musk get with it man!

I just took delivery of a 2017 BMW 430i convertible With Harman Kardon audio upgrade (after a 2 week delay due to Connecticut’s ridiculously backwards-assed DMV), and am absolutely thrilled to confirm that it plays 5.1 flac files in fully discrete surround, through USB or by uploading the files into the car’s internal storage. Not quite the same experience as the dedicated home rig, but man, what a treat!

In addition, it also plays DVD-Vs in surround as well (not DVD-A or blu-ray or SACD unfortunately). So now begins the work of ripping my discs to FLAC and storing on a USB drive. Anyone have experience with portable USB hard drives, maybe 3-5 TB? I think these can be powered by the USB itself and hopefully would be an option for the car, along with providing backup for my disc collection.

I just took delivery of a 2017 BMW 430i convertible With Harman Kardon audio upgrade (after a 2 week delay due to Connecticut’s ridiculously backwards-assed DMV), and am absolutely thrilled to confirm that it plays 5.1 flac files in fully discrete surround, through USB or by uploading the files into the car’s internal storage. Not quite the same experience as the dedicated home rig, but man, what a treat!

In addition, it also plays DVD-Vs in surround as well (not DVD-A or blu-ray or SACD unfortunately). So now begins the work of ripping my discs to FLAC and storing on a USB drive. Anyone have experience with portable USB hard drives, maybe 3-5 TB? I think these can be powered by the USB itself and hopefully would be an option for the car, along with providing backup for my disc collection.
If you want an SSD (what I would recommend, and I like Samsung), the 2TB is about the upper limit right now IINM. And prices vary considerably, in the last few years they've been anywhere from about $288 to $600; apparently the chip market is very volatile. However I don't use one in a car but I know some folks here do.

If you want an SSD (what I would recommend, and I like Samsung), the 2TB is about the upper limit right now IINM. And prices vary considerably, in the last few years they've been anywhere from about $288 to $600; apparently the chip market is very volatile. However I don't use one in a car but I know some folks here do.
Thanks. What about something like this? Would it not work in a car? Forgive my ignorance on this topic.

WD 5TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive, USB 3.0 - WDBU6Y0050BBK-WESN https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X41PWTY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HxIeFbQ5MJ16F

Thanks. What about something like this? Would it not work in a car? Forgive my ignorance on this topic.

WD 5TB Elements Portable External Hard Drive, USB 3.0 - WDBU6Y0050BBK-WESN https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X41PWTY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_HxIeFbQ5MJ16F
I'm not sure about those, I assume it's a mechanical Hard Drive, and it may need a powered USB connection. You'd need to do more research on what your car's system is able to accept and hopefully someone here with experience with those drives might know.

Check out this post: OFFICIAL "Cars with Factory Surround Systems" Listing

I use a 500Gb, but Bob Romano uses the 1Tb. Now there is a 2Tb version. These things work perfectly in the car and really, if you go too big the searching and sorting gets to be a pain in the butt. (Unless you like using the voice recognition!)

Check out this post: OFFICIAL "Cars with Factory Surround Systems" Listing

Thanks Jon. I guess I should have read the thread before posting my question. Good info!
I use a 500Gb, but Bob Romano uses the 1Tb. Now there is a 2Tb version. These things work perfectly in the car and really, if you go too big the searching and sorting gets to be a pain in the butt. (Unless you like using the voice recognition!)

Back